Strategies for beating complexity?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
svenh

27 Jan 2017

In recent years, I have been making music mostly outside of Reason, mainly because of lacking VST support and decent pitch correction. With recent versions of Reason, however, I am happy to see that the Props are heading the right direction! I will probably try Reason for a couple of song projects in the near future. Since my average track count has increased since last time I used Reason, however, I am looking for tips on how to beat complexity. Reason does not have any folder tracks yet so you can't really hide the tracks you are not currently working on. Another issue is that the rack can get very messy with increasing number of devices.

Do you have any tips on how to keep big projects clean and tidy?

chimp_spanner

27 Jan 2017

Rack creep is a struggle. I always start with the best intentions, like using only as much gear as a studio would realistically have (for example) but because every effect I want to achieve requires a new device, it's kind of impossible.

The only thought I did have was to make use of the fact that Reason can open multiple documents. Soooo if there's a spot effect I need, create a new document, use whatever I need, bounce in place and then drag the wave file over to my other document. So I get the sound I want, but without all the associated wiring!

I mean you could just do it within the document itself but when projects get really big it's so visually overwhelming, I think it'd be nice to just have a bit of reprieve and work in a clean environment :lol:

normen

27 Jan 2017

I find the rack relatively easy to keep clean, I just make a new column for each mix channel, keep the rack in a separate monitor and then drag the width of the navigator so far that I only see one column at a a time plus a quite large navigator. With the "show rack device" buttons in the mixer plus the navigator its easy to jump to the needed place in the rack.

As for the sequencer, I use the little arrow on the head of the tracks to minimize the lanes I'm not currently working on and keep a relatively large zoom overall, this way the currently relevant lanes stand out pretty well.

Another thing I also often use is the "sort selected device groups" when you right-click the mixer. It will sort the columns in the rack and the lanes in the sequencer to the same as what you ordered them in the mixer for all channels you selected in the mixer. This also helps with ordering and re-ordering your view, e.g. moving all channels you don't work on to the left or right.

That said, I do agree that Reason projects tend to get a bit more messy than other DAWs but its also kind of a "creative mess" for me while I'm at it. But if you open a project some months later it can be a bit "wtf" at times, I agree ^^

chimp_spanner

27 Jan 2017

Yeah one thing I've been after for a while now is some kind of auto-sort, that will keep the arranger, rack and mixer views in sync. So if I move a channel in one view, it's reflected in all the others. That'd be nice to have as an option!!

That and track/device folders. Obviously.

Loque

27 Jan 2017

Here is my strategy (but i am sloppy most of the time):
Rack:
* left side only for bus channels and mastering
* center all instruments, grouped by color, only one channel and one instrument/combinator if possible. Multiple center racks possible
* right side for "offline" tracks, bounced or muted stuff
* Everything belongs together, stays together (channels, parallels, instruments, effects)

Sequencer:
* Grouped and colored by type, like drums, percussions, basses, pads, fx, ...
* Normally equal to rack and mixer
* Instrument, automation and fx as close as possible
* everything that is nearly on final stage, is closed to smallest line
* Everything offline/muted is out of sight
* Praying every day for group-folders...

But tbh, if i have a run, i forget everything...
Reason12, Win10

chimp_spanner

27 Jan 2017

Yeah colour coding helps. I have a scheme I tend to stick to;

Red = rhythm
Blue = bass
Green = guitars
Yellow = s(y)nths
Pink = pianos & other keys
Orange = orchestral
Purple = FX
Grey = automation, sometimes

I also use TMA commentator sequencer tracks as dividers in the arrange window so I can at least section off different parts of the mix.

normen

27 Jan 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:Yeah one thing I've been after for a while now is some kind of auto-sort, that will keep the arranger, rack and mixer views in sync. So if I move a channel in one view, it's reflected in all the others. That'd be nice to have as an option!!

Well its not automatic but the mixer-right-click I mentioned does exactly that, it actually also works when you select multiple tracks in the sequencer or rack and right-click them, then the other windows are ordered according to where you did that (rack,mixer,sequencer lanes). And when you drag a new device in a certain column in the rack its position will be reflected in the mixer and sequencer lanes. Isn't that already what you want or did I get you wrong?

dioxide

27 Jan 2017

I also create a Rack column per instrument, with the effects either in the Insert or hidden inside a Combinator. Instruments are first with the drums at the far right hand side.

chimp_spanner

27 Jan 2017

normen wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:Yeah one thing I've been after for a while now is some kind of auto-sort, that will keep the arranger, rack and mixer views in sync. So if I move a channel in one view, it's reflected in all the others. That'd be nice to have as an option!!

Well its not automatic but the mixer-right-click I mentioned does exactly that, it actually also works when you select multiple tracks in the sequencer or rack and right-click them, then the other windows are ordered according to where you did that (rack,mixer,sequencer lanes). And when you drag a new device in a certain column in the rack its position will be reflected in the mixer and sequencer lanes. Isn't that already what you want or did I get you wrong?
Oh yeah I use that function too :) I just mean it'd be cool if it was possible to have it kept constantly in sync, rather than having to move, select, sort, repeat. But it's not *too* much hassle I guess. I'm just being lazy.

svenh

27 Jan 2017

Several great tips so far - thanks for taking the time all of you!

TheGodOfRainbows

10 Feb 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:Yeah colour coding helps. I have a scheme I tend to stick to;

Red = rhythm
Blue = bass
Green = guitars
Yellow = s(y)nths
Orange = orchestral
Purple = FX

I also use TMA commentator sequencer tracks as dividers in the arrange window so I can at least section off different parts of the mix.
Cool. I use a similar color scheme:

Red = leads
Orange = horns, orchestral
Yellow = winds
Neon Green = synths
Green = guitars
Blue = bass
Purple = pianos, keys
violet - vocals
Pink = plucked instruments
brown, tan = drums

NekujaK

10 Feb 2017

In addition to the strategies mentioned above, another thing that helps me remember what the heck is going on in my project is clip labels. I don't necessarily label every single clip, just the ones that might have complex effect chains, require special treatment during mixing, or other notes to remind me what the clip is all about. The clip labels can be fairly lengthy, so they can contain a reasonable amount of information, and they're right there in front of you on the sequencer lanes, so you can't forget them.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Koncide

10 Feb 2017

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:Yeah colour coding helps. I have a scheme I tend to stick to;

Red = rhythm
Blue = bass
Green = guitars
Yellow = s(y)nths
Orange = orchestral
Purple = FX

Cool. I use a similar color scheme:

Red = leads
Orange = horns, orchestral
Yellow = winds
Neon Green = synths
Green = guitars
Blue = bass
Purple = pianos, keys
violet - vocals
Pink = plucked instruments
brown, tan = drums
Another "blue = bass" guy here.

Colour coding is my crutch. If I ever get lazy with it, I pay for it later with a total inability to navigate the project.
Ambient garage vibes.

chimp_spanner

10 Feb 2017

normen wrote:I find the rack relatively easy to keep clean, I just make a new column for each mix channel, keep the rack in a separate monitor and then drag the width of the navigator so far that I only see one column at a a time plus a quite large navigator. With the "show rack device" buttons in the mixer plus the navigator its easy to jump to the needed place in the rack.

As for the sequencer, I use the little arrow on the head of the tracks to minimize the lanes I'm not currently working on and keep a relatively large zoom overall, this way the currently relevant lanes stand out pretty well.

Another thing I also often use is the "sort selected device groups" when you right-click the mixer. It will sort the columns in the rack and the lanes in the sequencer to the same as what you ordered them in the mixer for all channels you selected in the mixer. This also helps with ordering and re-ordering your view, e.g. moving all channels you don't work on to the left or right.

That said, I do agree that Reason projects tend to get a bit more messy than other DAWs but its also kind of a "creative mess" for me while I'm at it. But if you open a project some months later it can be a bit "wtf" at times, I agree ^^
Just thought I'd say I've adopted your mix channel per column idea and it's brilliant. Actually changed the way I'm using Reason. Less device folding. Quicker to make changes. Great tip dude!

TheGodOfRainbows

13 Feb 2017

NekujaK wrote:In addition to the strategies mentioned above, another thing that helps me remember what the heck is going on in my project is clip labels. I don't necessarily label every single clip, just the ones that might have complex effect chains, require special treatment during mixing, or other notes to remind me what the clip is all about. The clip labels can be fairly lengthy, so they can contain a reasonable amount of information, and they're right there in front of you on the sequencer lanes, so you can't forget them.
Yes! I used labels too! As time goes on, I realize how important it is to stay organized, so all these these come together to form a much more pleasant work space that ends up saving time later.

I wanted to add that I even use CAPITALIZED and non capitalized words which indicates something. Mostly bus channels are caps like DRUMS, KEYS, PADS, and the mixer channels that are routed to the bus are all lowercase like kick, violin, piano....unless there is something special about that mixer channel such as it is already heavily processed and/or premixed (like A-list Drums, A-List E Guitars).

It goes on and on. I'm always trying to think of new ways to organize and create my own 'rules and standards' for visual formatting and cues. This has helped me greatly when jumping from sequencer, to mixer, to rack and back.

svenh

13 Feb 2017

Still even more great tips comming to this thread - thanks again to all of you contributing! I can not help thinking that most of these tips are workarounds, though, in lieu of better features/support in Reason for large projects. Let's hope that this will be addressed in version 10!

Kaosis

13 Feb 2017

Color coding for sequencer/mixer as for the rack I keep it simple. New rack column per sound type, ie drums in 2nd column, leads in 3rd, basses in 4th, ambient stuffs in 5th kinda thing. Generally reserve the 1st default column for auditioning ideas.

This way when I'm working on track I can quickly go to the rack section required, make whatever changes and move on.

Only colors that are a must for me are:
bass is dark purple
Drums are olive green (redrum colored)
Leads are pink

Exowildebeest

13 Feb 2017

I find the rack relatively easy to keep clean, I just make a new column for each mix channel
I always use just one giant column :D I like the linearity of a single dimension. But I do have a system, I never get lost in the rack. I keep as much as I can in Combinators, remember signal flows, and colour code.

Stock Music Musician

17 Feb 2017

Great tips. I've got a few to add:

* I create mix channels for all my send effects and route them to a master send effects bus (

* I keep all my busses together on the right side of the mixer. This prevents clutter while doing detail mixing and allows my to do subtle tweaks toward the end
* I make sure to label all my busses with a "B" so that I know they're bussess in the sequencer (if there's an automation lane or something)
* I use Selig's ReMark to take notes on complicated mixes. It's amazing how much this helps me pick up from where I left off

• Information