Mixing QuestionS? Mastering

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mreese80

27 Feb 2017

When preparing for mixing, i gain stage -10db or -12db depending on which level gives my master buss a -10db. After this, do you usually make smaller adjustments of tracks upwards or downwards. I've realized after years that mixing low is the way to go. The more i dug into reason i learned i hadn't been mixing correctly. I've gotten better over the years but there is always room for improvement. I also connect my master to the control room so i can turn up the volume without touching the master fader. I'm always trying different ways to mix. Any suggestions? Just trying to get the best mix (result). A lot of knowledge is on this forum. I hope this isn't confusing anybody. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

normen

27 Feb 2017

Yeah, the "escalating faders" issue is real. You think this is too low you raise it, then thats too low you raise it etc.

One thing I found brought my mixing further was looking more at what I could _take away_ instead of adding stuff. This goes from cutting frequencies in instruments that cover others instead of boosting those that get covered right up to actually taking out complete parts/instruments. Sometimes the client doesn't even notice and is just happy about the clean mix, sometimes they notice but also realize it muddied up too much and in some rare cases I have to put these parts back in but I really lo/hi cut them hard to really only have them add something at the intended frequency range.

Listening to what you have before you start mixing is also important. First thing I do in a mix is set all levels so that I can hear how the parts interact to create the music. Only then I start with any processing and I always keep an eye on how the processing works in context. Theres no use in having 24 tracks that each sound great when solo'd but sound like a mess when mixed together. Also only apply any processing if you know why and what you want to achieve with it. If somebody on the internet says "this plugin makes everything sound great" then thats by no means an excuse to apply that plugin to every channel without having an intention for a certain type of change. Even if you watch videos of experienced engineers and they do something or apply some processing, they ALWAYS do it because they want to fix/extend something they hear - that doesn't mean it works for your mix. And extending this - avoid unnecessary processing, if you're not sure if the processing does something for the better TAKE IT OUT!

househoppin09

27 Feb 2017

Sage advice so far in this thread! Everyone needs to really listen and take it to heart. :thumbs_up:

mreese80

27 Feb 2017

normen wrote:Yeah, the "escalating faders" issue is real. You think this is too low you raise it, then thats too low you raise it etc.

One thing I found brought my mixing further was looking more at what I could _take away_ instead of adding stuff. This goes from cutting frequencies in instruments that cover others instead of boosting those that get covered right up to actually taking out complete parts/instruments. Sometimes the client doesn't even notice and is just happy about the clean mix, sometimes they notice but also realize it muddied up too much and in some rare cases I have to put these parts back in but I really lo/hi cut them hard to really only have them add something at the intended frequency range.

Listening to what you have before you start mixing is also important. First thing I do in a mix is set all levels so that I can hear how the parts interact to create the music. Only then I start with any processing and I always keep an eye on how the processing works in context. Theres no use in having 24 tracks that each sound great when solo'd but sound like a mess when mixed together. Also only apply any processing if you know why and what you want to achieve with it. If somebody on the internet says "this plugin makes everything sound great" then thats by no means an excuse to apply that plugin to every channel without having an intention for a certain type of change. Even if you watch videos of experienced engineers and they do something or apply some processing, they ALWAYS do it because they want to fix/extend something they hear - that doesn't mean it works for your mix. And extending this - avoid unnecessary processing, if you're not sure if the processing does something for the better TAKE IT OUT!

thanks. i guess i'm on the right track :thumbs_up:
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

dustmoses

28 Feb 2017

I always try to turn down whenever possible so I have more headroom for the master.

There's another thread on this, but that's why we need to be able to adjust more than one fader. An example is the bass being too low. It's often better to turn down everything else and turn up the volume on the mixer (at least the way I work.) Going track by track being careful to adjust right when just one element is off takes way more time then it should.

Koncide

28 Feb 2017

I've found over time that I nearly ALWAYS had too much 100-500hz mud in my tracks, and not enough 1k-5k mids. I'm quite liberal with the old HP filters and low shelfs these days in order to compensate. My tunes are sounding much better as a result.
Ambient garage vibes.

mreese80

28 Feb 2017

dustmoses wrote:I always try to turn down whenever possible so I have more headroom for the master.

There's another thread on this, but that's why we need to be able to adjust more than one fader. An example is the bass being too low. It's often better to turn down everything else and turn up the volume on the mixer (at least the way I work.) Going track by track being careful to adjust right when just one element is off takes way more time then it should.

Exactly. That's why this would be so beneficial

mreese80

28 Feb 2017

Koncide wrote:I've found over time that I nearly ALWAYS had too much 100-500hz mud in my tracks, and not enough 1k-5k mids. I'm quite liberal with the old HP filters and low shelfs these days in order to compensate. My tunes are sounding much better as a result.
nice track man.

Bonkhead

28 Feb 2017

I have had times where I just use the -18db gain knobs on top of the SSL just to get everything fast down to "normal" wihout having to change every individuel channel by -18 db using shift drag.

Koncide

28 Feb 2017

mreese80 wrote:
Koncide wrote:I've found over time that I nearly ALWAYS had too much 100-500hz mud in my tracks, and not enough 1k-5k mids. I'm quite liberal with the old HP filters and low shelfs these days in order to compensate. My tunes are sounding much better as a result.
nice track man.
Appreciated mate :thumbs_up:
Ambient garage vibes.

mreese80

28 Feb 2017

Bonkhead wrote:I have had times where I just use the -18db gain knobs on top of the SSL just to get everything fast down to "normal" wihout having to change every individuel channel by -18 db using shift drag.

I always use the gain stage knob in the ssl whem gain staging. I only adjust levels from the mixer channels afterwards.

normen

28 Feb 2017

mreese80 wrote:
Bonkhead wrote:I have had times where I just use the -18db gain knobs on top of the SSL just to get everything fast down to "normal" wihout having to change every individuel channel by -18 db using shift drag.

I always use the gain stage knob in the ssl whem gain staging. I only adjust levels from the mixer channels afterwards.
Yeah, thing is the gain knobs change everything before the inserts and SSL processing. So you'd not only change the volume, you'd also change the sound if you have compressors, distortion etc. on channels.

mreese80

01 Mar 2017

normen wrote:
mreese80 wrote:

Yeah, thing is the gain knobs change everything before the inserts and SSL processing. So you'd not only change the volume, you'd also change the sound if you have compressors, distortion etc. on channels.
I gain stage first. I apply affects and everything afterwards.

selig
RE Developer

01 Mar 2017

mreese80 wrote:

IMO, consistent gain also applies to the rack, so adjusting in the SSL won't address issues there. I'm a "fix it at the source" kinda guy, so I use clip gain on audio tracks and the master volume (or Selig Gain) in the rack so that everything coming into the SSL mixer is ALREADY at the desired peak level.

In other words, the advantages of using a consistent reference level apply to the rack as much as to the mixer.
:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Bonkhead

01 Mar 2017

normen wrote:Yeah, thing is the gain knobs change everything before the inserts and SSL processing. So you'd not only change the volume, you'd also change the sound if you have compressors, distortion etc. on channels.
Bounce first if you want to apply such processing. Still easier and faster than to individually change the faders exactly if you have like 50 channels of audio.

I don't normally work like that, just in the hurry-up-it-had-to-be-ready-a-week-ago-last-minute jobs.

mreese80

02 Mar 2017

I set all levels before i apply any effects. Do you mix with the midi or do you bounce the midi to audio than apply effects?

• Information