Reason Project Save

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BenoitAdam

06 Sep 2017

Hi there,

I'm not a Reason User, but a Cubase User ("boooooo :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ")

Anyway, my bassist uses Reason.

We reguraly have Live gig to mix. My bassist does it like that : general mix of the gig, then personal mix for each song. The thing is, that for each song he moves Reverb/VST/Volume/stuff that sometimes affects the whole song.

So I told him : "why not save individual project for each song ?"
He told me : "No reason save the whole project audio in 1 file"
I told him : "that's impossible. show me the folder."

I couldn't believe it. Reason saves the project and audio in ONE FILE.

He explained me that reason doe this so you can easily share the project.

The thing is, in this case, I think it's not a good idea.

Even if he make a general mix and then separate mix for each song he will have this :
- General project (6Gb)
- Wisdom (1Gb)
- I Wan't to tell you (1Gb)
- Song 3 too good to spoil (1Gb)
- etc...

So in the end 12Gb , 2 times more data...

the OTHER THING is that you can't open a project for a previous state. It's very distrubing for me. As a cubase user, I always save my project reguraly in a new file. If I need to borrow something from an old file I can open it and copy/paste. Or can enterely go back to a previous state if I got on a wrong path.

We try to check reason options to see if we can change this method of saving, wich CAN BE INTERESTING in some project, but is clearly NOT in this case.

Thank you for your answers.

Oquasec

08 Sep 2017

Reason lets you work on multiple songs at once for those new to reason.
Some daws open up multiple instances which is useful for some people.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Ahornberg

08 Sep 2017

Do you record a whole live gig in Reason?
Or do you record each song separately in a new Reason song-file?
The latter would be better for mixing.

Loque

08 Sep 2017

You could export the samples to disc, and remove the "inclusion" setting from extended file save options in the file menu. Than it will be referenced from disc. In Reason 9 i just right click the sample in the sequencer and select bounce->export_to_file. In older version i think you need to go through the samples of the song view, dunno.

But keep in mind, if you change the sample, it changes your song.
Reason12, Win10

BenoitAdam

08 Sep 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
08 Sep 2017
The whole live session is recorded on a different DAW (Could be either Cubase or Protools)

Ahornberg

08 Sep 2017

BenoitAdam wrote:
08 Sep 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
08 Sep 2017
The whole live session is recorded on a different DAW (Could be either Cubase or Protools)
And you (or your bassist) want to have the whole recording in one piece in Reason or not?
If not, just cut the audio in Cubase or Protools into songs and export them separately for importing into Reason afterwards.

BenoitAdam

08 Sep 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
08 Sep 2017
BenoitAdam wrote:
08 Sep 2017

And you (or your bassist) want to have the whole recording in one piece in Reason or not?
If not, just cut the audio in Cubase or Protools into songs and export them separately for importing into Reason afterwards.
No that's not a good idea. Because at first you always make a general mix of the whole live. Then you work on each title.

Gaja

08 Sep 2017

BenoitAdam wrote:
Ahornberg wrote:
08 Sep 2017
No that's not a good idea. Because at first you always make a general mix of the whole live. Then you work on each title.
But why touch it twice?
Cheers!
Fredhoven

• Information