From i5 3570K to i7 3770K using R10 worth it ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Voyager

05 Apr 2018

Hey guys,

I'm currently using a i5 3570k and i can get a i7 3770k at a fair price. Basically i see no real difference between those 2 processors except the fact that the i7 can handle hyper threading.

So do you think that being able to use the hyper threading cpu capabilities with help to reduce some dsp usage and having a better and smoother workflow with R10 ?

Kategra

05 Apr 2018

I guess that performance will improve 10% in projects where you have some audio or synth tracks with many or demanding insert FX on them.
For projects (with independent parallel tracks) where you only have lots of tracks with small processing demands per track without much CV going between tracks, the performance improvement should be much higher -> 40 to 70%. But I don't think most projects songs will end-up naturally so parallel optimized, unless you bounce in place a lot and delete the muted devices that generated the bounce (yes, devices just hanging in the rack turned off still consume CPU processing power; some more, other less.)

I was in your shoes some time ago, and upgraded from i5 3570k (Reason 8) to i7 6800k and performance is at least more than double in all scenarios.
I recommend that you check this two threads to judge for your self, the best would be to buy recent Intel with as many physical CPU cores you can afford, hyper-thrading is just a bonus that most of the time is OK, sometimes works against you in Reason) :

Reason 8.1 & above CPU Stress Test (songfile included)!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7263897

Reason 9.5 & above CPU Stress Tests (2017, two different songfiles included)!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7501402

PS1. I found that in a simple project with some native reason instruments and FX devices, when I add only one instance of ReSpire rack extension synthesizer with no additional insert FX on it's track, my CPU (i7-6800k overclocked to 4ghz all 6 cores) with hyper trading enabled in Reason can't play the project anymore more then a few seconds until I get Computer too slow... If I deselect use of hyper trading in Reason performances, then the project becomes playable.

PS2. If I had 3570k and somebody said they would give me their 3770k for it + 50 EUR I would probably upgrade to that if I did not have 500 EUR to buy a massive upgrade (new CPU, mobo and ram).

Voyager

05 Apr 2018

Thanks for the feedback, i actually found out that the i7-3930K still hold very well compared to today high-end cpu standard and their price are very affordable compared to a 6800k. It's just the lga 2011 "ddr3"motherboards that tends to be a little bit expensive. Otherwise the 3930K hold well against a 6800K and the good thing is that it still use ddr3 ram so i could keep my actuall ram.

Any 3930K user around to give any feedback and how their cpu hold in Reason today ?

EnochLight

05 Apr 2018

Voyager wrote:
05 Apr 2018
Hey guys,

I'm currently using a i5 3570k and i can get a i7 3770k at a fair price. Basically i see no real difference between those 2 processors except the fact that the i7 can handle hyper threading.

So do you think that being able to use the hyper threading cpu capabilities with help to reduce some dsp usage and having a better and smoother workflow with R10 ?
I have the 3770K, and keep it overclocked to 4.5 Ghz on air. At that speed, it does pretty darn well for its age - but it's also affected (massively) by the Spectre/Meltdown fixes that kills performance. You can turn these fixes off, but it does put your system at risk for Spectre/Meltdown issues.

I'd try and get a more modern/faster CPU if you can. The 3770k is a 6 year old chip! That said, it does perform noticeably better than the i5 3570k, even at stock speeds:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... 50GHz&id=2
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oquasec

05 Apr 2018

Get the best cpu you can cuz the better it is and the more ram you have the more you can do without having to bounce.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Voyager

05 Apr 2018

Thanks for the advices everyone. From a price/performance perspective i decided to go with an "dated" i7-3930K 6 cores 12 threads. I was able to get a not very common X79 mobo for a very good price considering the actual market value for those older motherboards. I also can keep using my actuall 8gb ddr3 with that cpu and i may upgrade to another 8gb set if needed later since that mobo support quad-channel.

• Information