Do you ever go back and listen to old stuff and be amazed that you did that?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
aeox
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2019

No I don't really listen back and feel that my music was better or was amazed by it, it's always improving in one way or another. I'm still trying to reach that point where I think my music is good in the first place.

When I listen to my older music I hear really bad mixing and over processing. Too much reverb on everything, too loud, way too bright, etc.

reasonsuser88

16 Jun 2019

Certain elements can be impressive but not the sum of those elements. A lot of my projects tend to take on focus points which might be later appreciated but the artistic journey is like climbing a mountain that doesn't have a summit.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2019

I'd say the last 6 years of my music making has been on a level that I'm for the most part pretty satisfied with. I mean most tracks have some "flaws" but I can usually find something I like about them.
I enjoy the tracks I made a couple of years ago and my new ones pretty much equally.
Sure some songs are better and some are worse, but that's to be expected. That's the same now as it was then.

In some ways I'd say I'm more experimental in my way of creating now compared to how I did things a couple of years ago.

reasonsuser88

16 Jun 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
16 Jun 2019
I'd say the last 6 years of my music making has been on a level that I'm for the most part pretty satisfied with.
That's a trip. I've only made music consistently for around six years.
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

ravisoni

18 Jun 2019

dannyF wrote:
14 Jun 2019
...but at a certain point I was like "what happened to the guy who could make this?"
Couldn't have described it better.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

mcatalao
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2019

dannyF wrote:
14 Jun 2019
I notice the same thing as well. If I look too far back then its crappy..... but at a certain point I was like "what happened to the guy who could make this?"
I often go back, not only to remember as also to get some ideas back from the trunk! I never delete! The fact is redoing some stuff with new trained ears and better production skills has been one of the ways to regain some inspiration in moments the "composer's block" appears.

I often hear the stuff and recognize some of the production and performance errors. I that situation, i look at myself as a wiser older me, and smile.

I have some stuff from my late teens and college days.
Old times... simpler times! :)

reggie1979

18 Jun 2019

The only stuff I delete are the obvious f....k around crap that obviously never has any potential.

pushedbutton

18 Jun 2019

Jagwah wrote:
15 Jun 2019
Yes I have quite a lot that I like and a few that I am quite excited by.

Now I 've had a break and I am very rusty. I yearn to get back to the point where I can do things quickly again like it is all second nature.
Good to see you around again Jagwah. Looking forward to hearing what you come up with.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Faastwalker

18 Jun 2019

I often listen back to old files & uploads & can't remember how the hell I did what I did. Annoyingly I never seem to be able to find the files, which is strange because I keep everything in one place ......... actually that's bullshit! I've got files all over the place! Really need to sort this out & get more organazized :?

Oquasec

19 Jun 2019

Some times yes sometimes no. But these days I spend more time studying.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Jagwah

22 Jun 2019

pushedbutton wrote:
18 Jun 2019
Jagwah wrote:
15 Jun 2019
Yes I have quite a lot that I like and a few that I am quite excited by.

Now I 've had a break and I am very rusty. I yearn to get back to the point where I can do things quickly again like it is all second nature.
Good to see you around again Jagwah. Looking forward to hearing what you come up with.

Nice to see you're still here dude. I'm getting back into it now, good times :mrgreen:

withnail

22 Jun 2019

I always remembered this chord progression I did back in the early 90s, I'd had most of it in my head for 25 years but could never pick it out on the keyboard for some reason.
One day a couple of years ago I found the old Music X Amiga disk it was on.
I bought a bit of hardware that magentically reads old disks (cost me £70, only time I've used it so far) and loaded the track into Music X running on a PC emulator,
I then got Music X to pipe out MIDI from the emulator and recorded it using Reason.
Worth the effort and a proper trip down memory lane it was too...it was hard work back then to hammer out a track but all this new technology hasn't made me any better.

reggie1979

07 Jul 2019

Man, I'm embarrassed to say, I have no idea how I did some of this :lol: :cry:

wendylou

08 Jul 2019

Sometimes! Other times, I realize I have some half-started ideas. I sort of keep everything in case I ever finish it or review for ideas.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

• Information