Best song starter template with your favourite plugins

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Molotovbeatz

19 Jan 2020

Well, you start with a clean project template. If you are really into a master template then I recommend the Master Suite default template (shout out to Big Vic who suggested it in his YT videos). Im using this until today and my beats sound great with it.

master suite.jpg
master suite.jpg (109.4 KiB) Viewed 713 times

PhillipOrdonez

19 Jan 2020

What does song starter mastering template mean?

You are talking about two completely different ends of the process and they are not usually done at the same time. Do you want a template to start songs? Or a mastering template?

If it is to start songs, I can tell you in my case I only have drum instruments set up with their respective individual channels wired out to their own mix channels (Umpf and drum sequencer), and an instrument that I may or may not switch down the road (Europa) set up with RB sequences for laying down either bass or melodies. And that's it. I don't have anything else on my template.

For mastering, I don't have any templates. I do tend to use the same set of tools, but I load them one by one and it is all depending on the material.

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Jan 2020
What does song starter mastering template mean?

You are talking about two completely different ends of the process and they are not usually done at the same time. Do you want a template to start songs? Or a mastering template?

If it is to start songs, I can tell you in my case I only have drum instruments set up with their respective individual channels wired out to their own mix channels (Umpf and drum sequencer), and an instrument that I may or may not switch down the road (Europa) set up with RB sequences for laying down either bass or melodies. And that's it. I don't have anything else on my template.

For mastering, I don't have any templates. I do tend to use the same set of tools, but I load them one by one and it is all depending on the material.
Yea, I wouldn't use anything on the master except a limiter until the track is finished. There are exceptions though, when making EDM tracks for clients in the past I would put a OTT on the master before starting lol.

Song starter template though.. oh man.Been developing/optimizing my template everyday since I picked up Reason in 2017. It just has everything that I consistently use when making a track. My midi triggered volume ducking setup for the drums. All my channels and buses like sub, bass synths, kick bus, snare bus, drum bus, etc etc etc.

The key is getting your template DSP usage low. Maybe have a few different templates for different genres/styles.

Jmax

19 Jan 2020

Plenty of good starter template ideas.

Have a nice combo of FX in your sends. You can always change those up for different templates.

Set up some instruments, some drum sets, players. Set up individual channels and some side chaining.

groggy1

20 Jan 2020

To be honest, I like starting with a 100% clean song, no FX or instruments.

BUT, I use *saved Combinators* for pretty much everything: If I want a synth with some effects I had patched together before, I have it saved in a Combinator I can pull up.

If I had a great FX change, I save it in a Combinator.
And my master chains that I liked, again saved.

This lets me start 100% fresh each time, but quickly pull in FX chains or synths+FX that I liked in the past.

It's like LEGOs: I can throw a bunch of stuff together in no time.

• Information