Double rack mount workflow

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Sortitoutonsunday

01 Nov 2020

Hello Reason friends!

How are you using the second rack mount in your workflow?

Until recently I've used a really old low res computer where the second rack mount haven't been visible. I'm used to just have one long line of racks scrolling up and down with. Now when it was time to upgrade my computer I suddenly have half the screen unused in how I'm used to use Reason and I think I will have to change my workflow to the "new" (at least for me) user interface. How are you using the second rack mount? What are the benefits and do you have any secret tricks to share?
Reason fanboy since 6.5
:reason: :PUF_balance: :roll:

Loque

01 Nov 2020

I use them for grouping. Drums, fx, bass, synth, disabled, later use, master send fx... So normally i have 2 to 5 rack lanes.
Reason12, Win10

deeplink
Competition Winner

01 Nov 2020

I've actually got quite fustrated at dragging my way around the rack, both horizontally and vertically.

So now I only have the seqeuncer at full screen, with the mixer minimised so only the channel labels are availible.

I then use either the mixer or the sequencer channels to navigate the rack, essentially using the rack like a pop-up vst window.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Sortitoutonsunday

05 Nov 2020

Thanks for the tips!
Reason fanboy since 6.5

chimp_spanner

05 Nov 2020

Use it all the time! Master section column is exclusively for send effects. To the left are my group buses, and then to the right columns for drums, bass, pads, synths, guitars, vox, fx, etc. I use rack spacer plugins to label the columns too. That + obsessive colour coding and frequent device sorting keeps everything reasonably tidy and easy to navigate.

PhillipOrdonez

05 Nov 2020

Absolutely group each type. Drums, bass, instruments, effects. Use the navigator on the right side to move about; much better than scrolling.

antic604

06 Nov 2020

Sortitoutonsunday wrote:
01 Nov 2020
How are you using the second rack mount in your workflow?
Second? You can have as many as you want. ALSO to the left of Master Out column, which I discovered very recently :)

I basically try to use them as I would use folders in other DAWs, i.e. to group similar sounding - or performing similar function - sounds, i.e. drums, bass, pads & atmos, melodic, effects, etc.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604

06 Nov 2020

deeplink wrote:
01 Nov 2020
I've actually got quite fustrated at dragging my way around the rack, both horizontally and vertically.
Have you tried using the Navigator (top-right corner).
It's point & click and you're there:

Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

tumar

08 Nov 2020

Never used it - too messy (devices and RE are different size). I prefer Word-like (or pdf-like) mode, scrolling down page after page :)

challism

08 Nov 2020

I use the different racks as most of the other users have described. Each rack gets its own instrument or section. So my drums are usually in the same rack. Bass gets its own rack. Etc. Since the number or racks you can have is unlimited, I find it useful to spread it out as much as possible.
antic604 wrote:
06 Nov 2020
deeplink wrote:
01 Nov 2020
I've actually got quite fustrated at dragging my
way around the rack, both horizontally and vertically.
Have you tried using the Navigator (top-right corner).
It's point & click and you're there:

One way to help speed up the scrolling speed is to use a mouse wheel. That will move you up/down much faster. And if you hit shift it will move you left/right. Doesn't help when you are trying to route/wire devices, though.

I agree, I get tired of dragging cables through the entire rack when I'm trying to do some routing across the back of the rack. I love the navigator, it's a great way to get around the rack. I only wish we could route our devices (audio and CV cables on the back panel) by using the navigator. One of our users used to have (still has?) a suggested feature in their signature that had a great idea to be able to easily route audio/cv cables. Something like - click on the first device's cable output to select, click on the device in the navigator, find destination, then click on the input to run the cable. That would be such an improvement to help workflow in the rack section. I wish RS would add such a feature.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Sortitoutonsunday

14 Nov 2020

I've never even given the navigator a thought!

Thanks everybody! I will try grouping from now on. And start using the navigator.
Reason fanboy since 6.5

Billy+

14 Nov 2020

I love the navigation window, I stretch it out so I can see the whole layout and the devices get bigger

• Information