Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
Loque

27 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jan 2021
yahsmith wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Dude.... nothing in this Announcement said that the suite version was discontinued...you don't have to buy the subscription....it's a choice.....
not true, Suite has been discontinued (and I’m pretty sure that was mentioned in the RS blog post). of course it doesn’t affect you if you’ve already bought it, but if you were thinking about it and holding off, well, unfortunately now you can only either go with 11 standard, or go with the Reason+ subscription.
Relax guys. Clarify the wording.

The Suite will not be developed further or sold in future anymore, but it still works.

The thing with Suite was always a bit shaky, since RS wasnt clear about the future and they communicated it. Well, maybe not loud enough. But you dont lost anything if you bought it in the past. It might be not the best deal if you continue with subscription now since you can have everything from RS (as long as subscribed).
Reason12, Win10

danc

27 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021
It is expectable if things change, that ppl will react mostly negative. I can understand all the fear and negativity and i feel it here and their too.
Our negative reaction isn't related to today's CHANGE. It is related to the frustration of LACK OF CHANGE in the DAW itself, and being totally distracted dealing with other issues like adding more not needed sounds.
Check my Soundcloud:

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

plasticfractal wrote:
27 Jan 2021
This news is being greeted with universal scorn. I have not seen a single positive reaction to it. I think it would have been a much smarter tactic to include this news alongside a version release so that people could be excited for the new version (assuming it has much wanted things like VST3, high resolution screen support, etc). It would have helped emphasize that the subscription is an optional add-on for extra content, while reminding everyone that actual development work is still happening on the DAW. I hope for their sake they release some news about a version update or at least a point update, to get people thinking positive thoughts again.
Why would a subscription model prevent them from updating the DAW?

Do you really think keeping a subscription model is going to consume all (or even much) of the developer's time?

People are reading too much into this and jumping to conclusions that don't really make much sense.

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

EdGrip wrote:
27 Jan 2021
My understanding of Suite was that it's a bundle of licenses - you own all the included Rack Extensions, in perpetuity, if you buy Suite.
So (correct me if I'm wrong), but R11 Suite owners don't lose anything. They don't, for example, lose all their bundled RE licenses if they upgrade to 12 later.
That's correct, but if as a suite owner I decided to subscribe I would not own anything new and would default back to 11 without an active subscription I would still need to buy an actual V12 license if I actually wanted to own the update to V12 for example so the money spent on subscription would just be money down the drain.

It's good for new customers, it's pointless for a suite owner.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

Edin_16 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Than you didnt read everything :-D

It is expectable if things change, that ppl will react mostly negative. I can understand all the fear and negativity and i feel it here and their too.

In fact, currently nothing changed, things were just added. What the future will bring? I dont know. But i am not a big fan of subscriptions too, only if it brings something i want or need and i am willing to pay for it. everything is life has a price. Personally i already have a few subscriptions for anti virus software, tv, music, delivery, ...
Thats again some totally different thing. Music you listen to and movies you watch, and a virus software is like a visit for the doctor. But a software is like an instrument, and when you stop spending money on the software in a "to rent" model only, all is gone. You cant make music, you cant play, you have nothing.
That is true. From my TV renting i have nothing if i leave, even a movie i have rent for the weekend, i have nothing after the weekend.

I am not sure how Roland, Korg and all those companies do it, but some kind of (real!) rewards for a subscription would be welcome from my side. I mentioned somewhere the quite generous subscription from Kilohearts and on the other side the bad joke from PA.

And in the end, the market will decide what works. I didnt rent Roland, Korg and all those others - just not enough value for me. Currently i dont see a big value for me in Reason+ too. And i also followed the massive ranting about Avenger and its new licensing scheme, which showed, some ppl react very heavy on small changes. Its up to them to react for real, like selling their Avenger licenses and do not buy any packages. But currently it looks like Avenger is still here, still improves, still sells packages...
Reason12, Win10

OverneathTheSkyBridg

27 Jan 2021

I'm curious about the subscription soundpacks, maybe someone can clear this up. If I make a bunch of songs employing these packs and then opt out of the subscription will those sounds used in my songs be deactivated? This would be a major turnoff having a body of work that's dependent on a constant subscription service.

Also, I'm hoping that R12 really knocks it out of the park or you're going to see a lot of long time users jumping ship. There's a lot of resentment basically everywhere I look online over this decision. Wish you guys luck though.

lowtom

27 Jan 2021

drama.jpeg
drama.jpeg (382.07 KiB) Viewed 6573 times

Listen, Reason Studios, what is it, that you do not understand? :puf_bigsmile: It is quite simple.
Current Reason users are moaning because it is not a new shiny Reason update everyone is still waiting for :puf_bigsmile:

After that you get moaning from the people, who can not read or understand what is in front of their own eyes, ignore or simply refuse to listen about facts, and preach their judgement (very loud mostly) based on pieces of information they gathered, which does not present whole truth.
From reading comments at YT, over here, or other social platforms, most think that world is ending and lizard people will take their precious Reason licenses away.

Fact is RS just got their shit together. Users will benefit and RS will benefit. Double win.

My license is not going away, nor my RE's. That is all I want and will patiently wait for next perpetual upgrade to drop.
Last edited by lowtom on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: :refill: :re:

seqoi

27 Jan 2021

Hey James! Very interesting that you "missed" my question.

How one can trial R11 standalone?

AFAIK it is impossible to Trial Reason 11. Whenever I click in Reason 11 trial it redirect me to Reason + Subscription page account creation. Why?

1. Does this mean general public can not trial standalone Reason (not +) anymore?
2. Do you ask for CC details in order for people to Trial R11? Asking because when we clicked Reason 11 trials it says - 30 days free, cancel anytime. ?!?!?? Why would user need to cancel Trial if no Credit Card data is asked for?

QVprod

27 Jan 2021

ulaw wrote:
27 Jan 2021
So... they just relabeled the style refills added them to a library,
Beta tester here :wave: Can confirm all sound packs are brand new sets of patches. Was put off on the idea of a subscription at first as well being a long time user who has all I could ever need. But it comes out to a pretty good value, the packs reinvigorate even some of the stock Reason stuff. Plus getting more new RE like Friktion is a plus. I’ve enjoyed testing it out. I believe most music makers really do rely on presets at least to get the ball moving, and this presents us with a “FSB” (if you will) that will never be outdated again.

plasticfractal

27 Jan 2021

avasopht wrote:
27 Jan 2021
plasticfractal wrote:
27 Jan 2021
This news is being greeted with universal scorn. I have not seen a single positive reaction to it. I think it would have been a much smarter tactic to include this news alongside a version release so that people could be excited for the new version (assuming it has much wanted things like VST3, high resolution screen support, etc). It would have helped emphasize that the subscription is an optional add-on for extra content, while reminding everyone that actual development work is still happening on the DAW. I hope for their sake they release some news about a version update or at least a point update, to get people thinking positive thoughts again.
Why would a subscription model prevent them from updating the DAW?

Do you really think keeping a subscription model is going to consume all (or even much) of the developer's time?

People are reading too much into this and jumping to conclusions that don't really make much sense.
I'm not against the idea of a content subscription, even though I personally don't need one. I just think that, tactically, they should have considered announcing this alongside news of a version update. That way the big story would be the version update, and it would help emphasize that real dev work and DAW updates are still a priority. Or they could have announced a version release only, then later announced the subscription service. This rollout may be giving people the (hopefully mistaken) impression that Reason development is mainly about content now. I hope to soon see news about a version update because that is what I personally care about, and apparently so does about 99% of the vocal community. I don't know what the silent majority thinks, maybe content is where it's at for most people, who knows. But despite level headed people like me and you, most responses to this news seem to be of the "sky is falling" variety.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

danc wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Our negative reaction isn't related to today's CHANGE. It is related to the frustration of LACK OF CHANGE in the DAW itself, and being totally distracted dealing with other issues like adding more not needed sounds.
:D :lol:
Did you saw the reaction of i think it was R10? The marketing claimed "more content as you all claimed" or something like this and a lot of ppl here said: "wtf? I didnt called for more content!".

But it gots new users into Reason and tbh, when i bought Reason i balanced what all DAWs and stuff had to offer. Reason won because of those cool workflow AND the content (which was mainly the amount of devices), and a few other things like high reliability of the software.
And now years later, i do not any freaking sample pack more, even for free, same for synths, i also skip the 10nth free subtractive synth and the 100th free compressor or EQ. I can do my music with a handfull of synths and fx. Today i would make my decision maybe on a different basis, but currently Reason would still win...but other DAWs are getting closer...
Reason12, Win10

QVprod

27 Jan 2021

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I'm curious about the subscription soundpacks, maybe someone can clear this up. If I make a bunch of songs employing these packs and then opt out of the subscription will those sounds used in my songs be deactivated? This would be a major turnoff having a body of work that's dependent on a constant subscription service.

Also, I'm hoping that R12 really knocks it out of the park or you're going to see a lot of long time users jumping ship. There's a lot of resentment basically everywhere I look online over this decision. Wish you guys luck though.
The patches live on your hard drive. You’ll still have them if you don’t keep the subscription.

Deep Schulzz

27 Jan 2021

Posted this first on the wrong place: Are we now forced to install the Reason+ app when loggin in online? When I try to log in online I get the message that I don't have the Reason+ companion app installed and Reason will only start without all my Rack Extension that I own. That can't be true. I don't want this subscription thing but i want to be able to log in online with all of my REs. Do i understand something wrong?

Loque

27 Jan 2021

27 Jan 2021
You can download all packs if you want and they stay on your drive. You still can use all patches and samples. If the patches are made with RE you bought, fine. If you dont have a license anymore, because you quit the subscription, you cannot use the patch (or at least fully cannot use it).
Reason12, Win10

Shadoww

27 Jan 2021

But they ARE discontinuing the Suite model. And replacing it with a subscription/renting model. If I loose my job, I loose my ability to make music. This is crazy to do to their customer base when so many musicians are doing just that....loosing their regular monthly income. It’s a woeful disregard for creatives during a global crisis. And makes a mockery of their ‘Reasons to stay inside’ livestreams from last year...cos quite clearly behind the scenes they were developing this to screw us all out of money. They should have waited before they rolled out this....it’s just in bad taste and is greedy

seqoi

27 Jan 2021

lowtom wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Fact is RS just got their shit together. Users will benefit and RS will benefit. Double win.

My license is not going away, nor my RE's. That is all I want and will patiently wait for next perpetual upgrade to drop.
No this is not fact. This is your interpretation.

We'll see you and your supposedly funny meme and charming attitude when PH decide to throttle perpetual license and start forcing people to go subscription only. Don't cry like a baby then.

In case you missed it, people aren't worried about current subscription. They are worried because current trend and directionless actions are heading toward subscription only. On top of that PH just killed of "Suite" completely. It does not exist anymore. Obviously it was a cash grab back then. They sold me "complete" suite and now they are saying this is not complete anymore, they just removed it. Just what?? Also it seems Reason 11 can not be trialed anymore. Whenever anyone click on 30 day trial - redirection to subscription page.

If you don't see this as a worrying business moves you are looking to much of cartoons.

But hey they are saying in their blog that I can upgrade Suite to a Full version. Just what is that? My Suite isn't Full version anymore right?
Last edited by seqoi on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

ScuzzyEye

27 Jan 2021

27 Jan 2021
As mentioned, the Soundpacks don't include samples. They are all patches and Combinators. Reason has no way to "unpatch" an instrument or effect that's saved in a song. So no fears of the ones you've used going away upon a lapse in subscription. You just won't be able to browse for new Soundpacks at that point.

PhillipOrdonez

27 Jan 2021

Yonatan wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Why do one have to download over 1 gb for every little update? Is that all the stock Reason soundpack automatically overwrites every time?
I am a Mac user and only read about a bug with Windows.
I wonder about this. Is there a place in Windows one needs to go to delete unneeded stuff or does Reason to care of that with every update?

makke

27 Jan 2021

All I say is that I like the idea, but the price is super expensive. Cut it half and I am in!

TheFesta

27 Jan 2021

This has to be the worst possible time to announce a prescription service..

Family dying?
Lost your job?
Have zero money?

Well come on down to reason studios and bend over for our new subscription service!

Now with * rack extensions gone from shop!
*bug fixes not addressed!
* sound packs created by my friend bob who once saw a picture of a synthesizer!

All this and more of what nobody asked for!

Presented live tonight in fake smile o vision
; )
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

:recycle: :reason: :record: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refill: :re:

ScuzzyEye

27 Jan 2021

Shadoww wrote:
27 Jan 2021
But they ARE discontinuing the Suite model. And replacing it with a subscription/renting model. If I loose my job, I loose my ability to make music.
I'm with you on the subscribing to software, for exactly the same reasoning. If I can't make more money to renew my subscription, that puts me in a really difficult position.

But no longer updating Suite doesn't mean you lose access to it. You still have Reason 11, and all the REs in the Suite. You can continue to use those forever. You just won't get the newest RS REs as they're released. But you can still buy them if you see one that you think would be a benefit, and you'll own that forever. When Reason 12 comes out later, you'll be able to upgrade the R11 from Suite to R12 for basically the same upgrade price they've always offered.

miscend

27 Jan 2021

For me this changes nothing. I will stick to perpetual Reason licences. But I can see this being attractive to people that subscribe to Output Arcade, except you get way more stuff with Reason+.

And as for sample libraries, I think there's a missed opportunity there. Splice, Loopcloud and Sounds.com are all doing quite well offering a gigantic library of samples for a fixed price.

esselfortium

27 Jan 2021

EdGrip wrote:
27 Jan 2021
My understanding of Suite was that it's a bundle of licenses - you own all the included Rack Extensions, in perpetuity, if you buy Suite.
So (correct me if I'm wrong), but R11 Suite owners don't lose anything. They don't, for example, lose all their bundled RE licenses if they upgrade to 12 later.
That's correct. For Suite users, nothing has changed. You got a perpetual license for a lot of REs at a super deep discount, and would have to pay for further updates beyond 11 Suite regardless of today's news.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

samtrino

27 Jan 2021

50% for one year for all you loyal Reason users... what a joke!

« I already own Reason. Do you have a special deal for me?
You are very dear to us and of course we have a special deal just for you! If you own a copy of Reason, you can save 50% off your first year of Reason+ if you sign up for an annual subscription. »

Kypresso

27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Hi there! I'm James, my official title is Head of Services but in reality I have been the PM on the Reason+ project over the past year. You'll learn more about me tonight on the stream and I'll introduce myself properly on here when I get a moment.

I am very convinced that Reason+ is a fantastic service! I think it has lots of amazing selling points --> you never have to worry about keeping Reason up to date (even major upgrades)
I've never had to worry about keeping reason up to date before either, i update when i want too and when i can afford it .

Now though, i have to worry about missing one payment and everything is gone.

Before, when a new update came out and money was tight people could put off updating for a few months and they could just keep on making music.
That it all goes to hell in a handbasket if you cant afford your subscription payment one month, no daw, no music making all disappeared.

Seems like a terrible deal for the user and a good deal for a soulless uncaring corporation.

• Information