It's almost 4/27 are you going to try R+?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try Reason+ before the 27th?

Poll ended at 28 Apr 2021

Already tried and didn't subscribe
11%
Already subscribed to R+
16%
Plan to try
3%
Don't plan to try
71%

Total votes: 139
strange_scenery

21 Apr 2021

It's almost the deadline for the 4/27 1 year of Reason+ deal, have you started the trial?

MannequinRaces

21 Apr 2021

I’m going to see what R12 brings and decide then.

deeplink
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2021

MannequinRaces wrote:
21 Apr 2021
I don't think it will come before then?
And then you'll miss getting half price.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

BRIGGS

21 Apr 2021

Nah, I already have everything I need.
r11s

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

21 Apr 2021

I can't imagine that this kind of deal will never turn up again. Doubtless it will turn up again periodically - most likely done like the Cubase/NI models where the upgrades happen at one point of the year and the discount prices happen at the other side of the year.

Kategra

21 Apr 2021

deeplink wrote:
21 Apr 2021
MannequinRaces wrote:
21 Apr 2021
It's half price only for one year... non significant in the long run. Not to mention that there could be future deals on subscriptions.

Billy+

21 Apr 2021

Absolutely no chance.

If they RS had been more upfront about what they had planned with suite and subscription and they made it subscription with ownership then i maybe would have, but as the only things I'm missing are Mutator and Algorithm it's completely over priced for me even taking into consideration the discount.

I had plans to buy Algorithm but for the moment I'm holding off until I see what happens to the DAW.

I just hope they include some features that I want in either an update or the next upgrade or I can see myself waiting till much later before I buy anything else from the shop....

Don't forget to take part in the Reason 12 Release and Price poll

Sargie

21 Apr 2021

I did.

I've been a paying Reason user from version 1 (and of Recycle and Rebirth) and have bought a LOT of RE's.

I've long got over the notion that I "own" any kind of software and that I have any kind of real recourse if it becomes unavailable in the future (by being burnt on many occasions). So, I evaluate these decisions on what is this thing worth to me NOW and in the near future.

It's worth it to me personally based on the amount I spend on RE's / upgrades / samples and the fun I have with it.

I also like to feel I am fully supporting the developers. I love Reason, I've never got along with any other DAW I've tried, and I want it to exist as long as possible. As a small developer myself, I can appreciate how regular, predictable income is a desirable thing.

I realize I am probably in the minority and I am also lucky that the subscription isn't a dent in my monthly finances. If it was, I might feel differently and can empathize those who do so.

I like the subscription so far. I like the packs. I like the feeling I'm not missing out on Props stuff. I'll like it more I am sure when I don't pay for the next great player, RE or major update.

Just my 2 cents.

Best,

Sarge

Billy+

21 Apr 2021

I see your point about regular income, but as someone who has brought suite & Friktion thus far I have spent more than the cost of subscription, I've also purchased a number of RE's as well which RS take a cut from so I'm supporting the development just as much as a subscriber would have, in fact I would say I've contributed more.

jam-s

21 Apr 2021

I might have tried it if they would have given R11 suite owners the first year for free. But paying to NOT get a perpetual license: No way!

WaxTrax

21 Apr 2021

I purchased R11 Suite (and many third-party REs). As an R11 Suite owner, I could maybe see paying $99/yr, but I cannot fathom paying $199/yr for what you currently get. It might change the balance if the soundpacks had a significant amount more content. If RS wants more money from me again next year when my subscription expires, they're going to need to offer another significant discount to me as a R11 Suite owner. A special Black Friday subscription extension price would be satisfactory.

moneykube

21 Apr 2021

Billy+ wrote:
21 Apr 2021
I see your point about regular income, but as someone who has brought suite & Friktion thus far I have spent more than the cost of subscription, I've also purchased a number of RE's as well which RS take a cut from so I'm supporting the development just as much as a subscriber would have, in fact I would say I've contributed more.
my thought are the same
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

zoidkirb

21 Apr 2021

Haven't tried it....yet.
I've got zero interest right now.
But I think in a few years it's possible with future Reason versions and a bunch of new synths/players/fx then it will be quite popular.

Kalm

21 Apr 2021

Right now I'm not subscribing to anything until RS gets stable on their future. Honestly that's for the whole industry seeing how Izotope and NI. . .
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2021

I actually thought I'd missed it already.

Well, I have not tried, and don't plan to.

With Verdane's investment in Reason Studios and the rapid growth in the digital music making market, RS could have a very bright future ahead of itself.

But it also might not.

If I had to make a guess, I'd put my money on the goal being to sell Reason Studios to Yamaha (to ReIgnite that Propellerhead/Steinberg connection) or some other big player with either a strong sound library of their own or the intent to acquire one.

The timing of this offer seems a little off for me. I'm sure they've punched the numbers and know what they're doing, so I won't second guess them. But my perspective, which I think resonates with many forum members is that I've spent so long learning how to use Reason to its fullest, how to modulate sounds, create my own patches and whatnot, that I don't need the sound packs in R+. So I'd really be subscribing to Reason and their Reason Studios' REs.

R11 hasn't had enough in it to warrant an upgrade - so much so I was more than happy to invest in an Ableton setup, which in the end burned far more money than it would have cost for me to upgrade to R11 Suite.

So R+ rests on what's in R12. I know there'll be hi-res, but I'm still on an HD display. Complex and Algoritm are cool, but I'm in no hurry for them. I really enjoyed toying around with Complex, and I'm sure I'd enjoy Algoritm just as much (if not more).

But since the Verdane investment, I've seen very little action to give me any faith in what they can or have brought to the table.

Have they increased the size of the team to accelerate development? Doesn't seem so.

Have they used their cash injection to acquire resources (like sample libraries), technology, companies to add value, or developed any workflow enhancing hardware? No.

Now, I'm sure they're doing something. I've stuck with Reason for nearly 20 years now. I've dedicated, on two occasions, at least an entire year using something other than Reson to make music but never been satisfied.

There are subtle hints that Reason Studios are working on some very exciting developments (e.g. standalone hardware workstations that can run any RE or ReFill that doesn't use VSTs). I've no idea why they didn't do this years ago. Now Native Instruments, Roland and Akai have beaten them to the punch (which Propellerhead may have partially validated).

I would not be surprised if R12 blew my socks off.

But it's been 4 years since Verdane invested in Reason, and I'm not seeing any fruit (well, except the R+ sound packs, ... but they could have done that with the free ReFill archive they removed).

DaveyG

22 Apr 2021

avasopht wrote:
22 Apr 2021

But it's been 4 years since Verdane invested in Reason,
Wow. Is it really 4 years? Venture capitalists are usually looking to cash in their profit within 4 or 5 years so you can be sure they are seeking to sell the company sooner rather than later.

MannequinRaces

22 Apr 2021

Kategra wrote:
21 Apr 2021
deeplink wrote:
21 Apr 2021

It's half price only for one year... non significant in the long run. Not to mention that there could be future deals on subscriptions.
Exactly. I’m in no rush right now. Haven’t been making music much at all these days due to limited time.

Popey
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2021

Not tried it yet and have no interest until 12 drops and can see what is included (and even then more likely to go perpetual licence unless it is vastly inferior to reason+). Still think I am more likely to give 12 a miss and stay on 11 until rrp either breaks due to os updates or some improvements to rrp make me consider the upgrade. Half price subscription in it's current state brings me pattern mutator, friktion and Algoritm which isnt enough for me at moment (especially as it's just rental). Sound packs dont interest me either.

Ermitage

22 Apr 2021

Not doing anything until I see what is slated for Reason 12. If it is as lackluster as previous updates then I'm done with Reason (edit: At least definitively. I've already stopped using it as a DAW and I'm still on R10,so I don't have the RRP).

EnochLight

22 Apr 2021

strange_scenery wrote:
21 Apr 2021
It's almost the deadline for the 4/27 1 year of Reason+ deal, have you started the trial?
LOL - I originally read that as "it's been a year since Reason+ deal". I literally had a panic attack and wondered where the other 8 months of my life went. :lol: :lol: :lol: Man, this pandemic has my perception of time all messed up.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MuttReason

22 Apr 2021

Numbers involved don’t work for me. I have R11 Suite and mostly now use RRP in Ableton Live (although would love to go back to using the Reason DAW if functionality improves). Sound packs don’t really interest me that much (I have a bazillion Refills and samples etc already) and new devices look interesting but not worth a monthly subscription. Like others here, R12 is key. If it is a major step up from R11 in every way (and HiRes is the least of what’s needed... should have happened ahead of R11 if not R10) AND if the most effective way to get R12 is via Reason+ then... perhaps. But R12 would have to be killer for that to happen. None of the music software I own is subscription-based (deliberately... not a fan of subs if I can avoid them) so RS would have to produce a massively good upgrade and strongly incentivise paying for it through R+ rather than single licence purchase. Two big caveats. Let’s see what happens.

R303

22 Apr 2021

1) It’s good that the 12-month update guarantee is gone again (for normal purchase).

2) Although I’m a bit addicted, it’s out of the question, mainly because there is no independence. I need other REs/VSTs as well.

mummyshroud

23 Apr 2021

I got it as a gift and so far I like it. A little background, I've been a Reason user since 2.5 and have bought almost every version upgrade (I skipped 3 and 9) but I never got Suite and the only Props REs I own are Polar and PX7. In my case, it makes sense since I don't own any of the REs and it's a great way to try everything. Of the stuff you get, I really liked Complex, both Layers devices, and Pattern Mutator, but I'm still making my way through everything. I'll see how I feel in a year and if it's really necessary to have access to all of the REs, but I have a feeling I'm going to renew. I think it's a great idea and I like that I can go back to perpetual upgrades if I decide I don't need all of the REs. It will be nice to have instant access to R12 and any future RS RE, so R+ gets a :thumbup: from me.

Gardinski

23 Apr 2021

It's looking like a "no" from me. The only thing I'd gain by subscribing is Algorithm, which I really like, but I'd much rather buy it outright.

And to be perfectly honest, I already own far more stuff than I need. Each new acquisition is starting to feel like procrastination: an excuse to tinker with shiny new toys, rather than getting on with the far more urgent task of creating the 21st century's greatest album.

As for the sample packs, they're a nice idea, but they haven't really grabbed me so far. I think they're interesting as a learning tool, to see the diverse ways in which various people approach sound design, but I can't really see myself using them, and the idea of using any kind of 'construction kit' feels a bit 'icky'.

So, I'd say the one thing that would sway me towards a sub before the Apr 27th deadline would be if ReasonStudios were to unleash 5 revolutionary new plugins plus a fully featured R12 within the next 4 days.

But honestly, I feel like I'm fully covered for every possible musical eventuality right now. I'm genuinely very happy with Reason 11 as it stands, and the only thing I'm lacking is VST3 support (just so I can use EVI-NER with my windsynth without going through a third party host.)

#Perpetual_Licence_Til_I_Die

DaveyG

23 Apr 2021

Gardinski wrote:
23 Apr 2021
It's looking like a "no" from me. The only thing I'd gain by subscribing is Algorithm, which I really like, but I'd much rather buy it outright.

And to be perfectly honest, I already own far more stuff than I need. Each new acquisition is starting to feel like procrastination: an excuse to tinker with shiny new toys, rather than getting on with the far more urgent task of creating the 21st century's greatest album.

As for the sample packs, they're a nice idea, but they haven't really grabbed me so far. I think they're interesting as a learning tool, to see the diverse ways in which various people approach sound design, but I can't really see myself using them, and the idea of using any kind of 'construction kit' feels a bit 'icky'.

So, I'd say the one thing that would sway me towards a sub before the Apr 27th deadline would be if ReasonStudios were to unleash 5 revolutionary new plugins plus a fully featured R12 within the next 4 days.

But honestly, I feel like I'm fully covered for every possible musical eventuality right now. I'm genuinely very happy with Reason 11 as it stands, and the only thing I'm lacking is VST3 support (just so I can use EVI-NER with my windsynth without going through a third party host.)

#Perpetual_Licence_Til_I_Die
Of course, by taking out a subscription now you would automatically get access to R12 when it is released "this year", which with surely include some new devices.

But I know what you mean about already having too much stuff. You only need a handful of synths and FX for pretty much anything. Sometimes I try to make a "one synth" song but I always get distracted by something else.

• Information