How big is the R11 upgrade installation footprint?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Baylo

27 May 2021

I gave in to the May Madness temptation to upgrade to R11, but before I install it I wanted to see if anyone can educate me on how much more HD space R11 takes over R10 which is already installed.

I have ~6GB left on my c: drive. All REs have already been moved to another drive (though the FSB is still on the c: drive) and I seem to remember reading that R11 basically installs itself twice because of the RRP.

Am I asking for trouble, or do you reckon I'm safe to go ahead with the upgrade?

Thanks much!

Kategra

27 May 2021

not much..
R10 vs 11.JPG
R10 vs 11.JPG (60.48 KiB) Viewed 1101 times

DaveyG

28 May 2021

If you are planning to uninstall 10 then 11 will fit just fine. If not, then a new installation of 11 will include new factory soundbanks which will take up about 2.5GB on their own so I think you would be tempting fate a bit to install that on a drive with so little space. Windows really does not like running out of system disk space!

Suggest you relocate your factory soundbanks to another drive with a symlink and then install 11 alongside 10.
But it would definitely be worth spending a bit of time moving more stuff off the C drive to get some breathing space.
Run something like this to see where all the space is going:
https://windirstat.net/index.html

fullforce

28 May 2021

Baylo wrote:
27 May 2021
I have ~6GB left on my c: drive. All REs have already been moved to another drive (though the FSB is still on the c: drive) and I seem to remember reading that R11 basically installs itself twice because of the RRP.
That there is a big problem in itself. You should have at least 10% free space on your C drive and i don't think your drive is 60GB. You really need to fix that, it already impacts the performance of your system and might even crash it at some point.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

kuhliloach

28 May 2021

also FYI: consider removing all other Reason versions first, then installing 11. I finally took the plunge on 11 via the May Madness deal, and installed it with both v10 and r11 lite also on the system. Removing lite after all this removed the Reason Rack Plug-In, so I had to run the 11 installer a 2nd time to re-add the plug-in.

joeyluck

28 May 2021

Try also deleting your Reason cache (I think mine was 30GB last time I emptied it) and check your Authorizer folder and delete any partial (failed) downloads from that folder (I had 26GB in this folder). Doing both of those things can free up A LOT of space.

gbuck

28 May 2021

joeyluck wrote:
28 May 2021
Try also deleting your Reason cache (I think mine was 30GB last time I emptied it) and check your Authorizer folder and delete any partial (failed) downloads from that folder (I had 26GB in this folder). Doing both of those things can free up A LOT of space.
Thanks for the info. I empty the cache in [user/my name/appdata/local/propellerhead/reason/(my name)] at least once a month.
But where and how do you delete authorizer cache and how to tell if there are failed downloads?
Thanks again in advance

joeyluck

28 May 2021

gbuck wrote:
28 May 2021
joeyluck wrote:
28 May 2021
Thanks for the info. I empty the cache in [user/my name/appdata/local/propellerhead/reason/(my name)] at least once a month.
But where and how do you delete authorizer cache and how to tell if there are failed downloads?
Thanks again in advance
No prob! Here is the info:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7516743

Depending on how many failed downloads and canceled downloads you have had, you may or may not have a ton of these partial downloads.

Baylo

28 May 2021

Thanks for all the guidance, folks.

As a pc user for over 30 years, I have been surprised how well the pc has been working with only 6gb on the c: drive. It’s also a very old (probably >10 years at this point) computer so, really, it’s a testament to the software that it is still so stable and productive!

Honestly I hadn’t noticed that Reason 8 and 9 were still installed, so that’s a little bit of cleaning up to do… Thanks for the pointer.

And thanks, Joey and gbuck, for the cache info - will look into that!

Finally, I also noticed that other user accounts on the computer seem to take 20+GB each on the drive. I have no idea why, since I can’t imagine what data is there. But those accounts don’t need to be on this computer and can be removed, so that’s more space reclaimed.

Thanks all!

fullforce

29 May 2021

Baylo wrote:
28 May 2021
Finally, I also noticed that other user accounts on the computer seem to take 20+GB each on the drive. I have no idea why, since I can’t imagine what data is there. But those accounts don’t need to be on this computer and can be removed, so that’s more space reclaimed.

Thanks all!
Good job. Don't forget to defragment (if it's a conventional hard drive).
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

challism

29 May 2021

It's a size 11 footprint
external-content.duckduckgo.jpg
external-content.duckduckgo.jpg (21.41 KiB) Viewed 895 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Jagwah

29 May 2021

Kategra wrote:
27 May 2021
not much..
R10 vs 11.JPG
R10 vs 11.JPG (60.48 KiB) Viewed 887 times
I think this confirms they finally took out the bad code that was adding the Reason sound to everything, woohoo!

jam-s

29 May 2021

Jagwah wrote:
29 May 2021
I think this confirms they finally took out the bad code that was adding the Reason sound to everything, woohoo!
Oh, so Rewire was the culprit ;) :twisted:

Jagwah

29 May 2021

jam-s wrote:
29 May 2021
Jagwah wrote:
29 May 2021
Oh, so Rewire was the culprit ;) :twisted:
Yeah and if some people had their way it would still be there! :roll:

:lol:

• Information