reason plus survey

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
djsmex

24 Feb 2022

Has anyone completed the recent reason plus survey?
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/reasonplus

I was a little concerned about some of the questions like how important is the add-on shop, rack extensions etc. The site is pushing subscription while almost hiding third party REs, Refills and purchase of Reason outside the subscription.

Reason has never been the most screen reader friendly DAW but V12 has reduced screen reader access almost completely. I use to be able to have the screen reader speak out some text in the browser panel and the note/clip info from the edit toolbar but not in V12.

If their plan is to drop REs and only offer subscriptions based on a survey only sent to reason+ users, I feel it may be the last straw for many long standing Reason users. I know they have said there are no plans to only offer subscription based sales but it is the questions within the survey that has me thinking.

Should I be concerned or am I reading too much into it?

StephenHutchinson

24 Feb 2022

Yes, I received this the other day and filled it out. As far as I can tell, it's more or less anonymous. I didn't see my name attached to the survey, but I could be wrong.
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

Synthopathe

25 Feb 2022

I filled it out too. I didn't really use the subscription and let it lapse but made my feelings clear anyway.

Aquila

25 Feb 2022

Same here. In fact, I made it clear that I wasn't happy with how their website kinda duped me into a trial that I never really wanted.

Neo

25 Feb 2022

Filled it out even as a non plus user. (I'm sure the last q will ask you what you think) ^duped into a trial indeed. - cancelled it immediately.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Aquila

25 Feb 2022

I cancelled mine immediately but I still get R+ spam in my email as if I were a member, which is weird because I don't have marketing selected in my profile settings.

gullum

25 Feb 2022

I answered and ended telling them I would never subscribe and as part of Scandinavian countries I did not have the option to choose my country. Bad bad very bad.

orthodox
RE Developer

25 Feb 2022

Filled it out with grateful feelings that I tried to express in the form.

ScuzzyEye

25 Feb 2022

Neo wrote:
25 Feb 2022
Filled it out even as a non plus user. (I'm sure the last q will ask you what you think) ^duped into a trial indeed. - cancelled it immediately.
Funny. I too was duped into a trail just trying to download the installer for the real Reason. Thus was offered this survey, and completed it in a similar manner. They should do a survey from their R+ mailing list and see how many people ended up on it by their use of dark patterns. Though "1 million people downloaded Reason+ by mistake" is not a good marketing blurb, so maybe they'd be afraid to ask.

WaxTrax

25 Feb 2022

I commented that I wish Reason was my primary DAW, but I found a better workflow (for me) using Logic Pro with the RRP.

I said that I have a significant investment in third-party rack extensions and wish to see that ecosystem continue. I also said as a R11 Suite owner, I find their $199/yr price tag ridiculous, but that I wouldn't necessarily mind paying $99/yr.

I told them the R+ sound packs in their current form don't really offer much as a compelling incentive to subscribe (packs are too small, too much overlap), and that the Companion app should at a minimum have a multi-selection download capability now that there are so many small packs.

Finally, I said that in my opinion it is the Player devices combined with flexible routing options that currently give Reason an edge. There are tons of creative software instruments out there in VST form, but Reason's revenue-generating angle could be using Player devices to help people get the most out of their software instruments.

Neo

25 Feb 2022

ScuzzyEye wrote:
25 Feb 2022
Neo wrote:
25 Feb 2022
Funny. I too was duped into a trail just trying to download the installer for the real Reason. Thus was offered this survey, and completed it in a similar manner. They should do a survey from their R+ mailing list and see how many people ended up on it by their use of dark patterns. Though "1 million people downloaded Reason+ by mistake" is not a good marketing blurb, so maybe they'd be afraid to ask.
Agreed.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Billy+

25 Feb 2022

I'm still on the fence about subscription and haven't taken part in any survey.

However
  • I definitely think it's a good option for someone new to Reason as you are getting access to quite a nice collection of devices and content. £20 still feels a bit much but is still less than I spend on beer so easy to justify.
  • However as someone who has purchased everything apart from BLG I don't really see the value and I've decided that the current R12 issues is enough for me to avoid it for the moment so subscribing is not an option.
  • The content packs were interesting from an educational perspective (just to see how other people are creating) but I soon lost interest when the project files disappeared.
All in all I can't see myself subscribing again but then again I didn't see myself moving to Live after using Reason standalone for 20 years but that's what R12 convinced me to do.......

I would normally be looking at the RE shop weekly for a deal but haven't been interested since buying Algorithm and can't see that changing any time soon especially now I've got the missing features of Reason standalone available in Live suite I might as well buy vst's and use RRP until I see actual benefits from buying the Reason major which based on the current delayed roadmap isn't happening anytime soon and won't be R12..

Rising Night Wave

25 Feb 2022

at the end i wrote that here on RTF are people complaining a lot over bugs and that they should solve them.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

earwig83

25 Feb 2022

It's funny how horrible the company became overnight because of the power change.

Gothi

26 Feb 2022

Reading this and other threads, I can only praise Odin for getting me back into software when R11 Suite ruled the game. If it ain’t broken, don’t friggin fcking fix it! IMPROVE IT INSTEAD! While I can manage perfectly with what is, users begged for DAW improvements. Obviously, the R12 “fix” is about fixing the lack of sufficient cash flow to RS. Well, they have to make a living, but this pretending it is about something else; sound like you or me or whofrigginever, is as close to an insult of intelligence as can be . And now they really need to lure people into a trail by surveys? Seems desparate.

However, as said, I manage fine with R11 Suite, and will be grateful for that version accordingly. Respect for that. I cannot imagine shifting to any other DAW, but ofc I feel a little sad that I cannot expect any exciting development from this point. Rest will be about buying third party stuff from the RE shop or elsewhere.

Rant over. As you were, soldiers. :cool:

Freya’s peace
Gothi

Eprom

27 Feb 2022

Also NOT a + user, but filled it out anyway to tell them how much I hate subscription software.
If I pay for it, I want to own it.
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

Aquila

02 Mar 2022

I wonder if they'll ever conduct a survey for perpetual license users and allow us to officially have our say too?

orthodox
RE Developer

02 Mar 2022

Aquila wrote:
02 Mar 2022
I wonder if they'll ever conduct a survey for perpetual license users and allow us to officially have our say too?
I guess they've heard enough from perpetual users already and are aware of their needs.

Aquila

02 Mar 2022

well, we moan about our plight in here a lot...but never via official channels lol

orthodox
RE Developer

02 Mar 2022

A quick search for previous surveys:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7519369 (2020 Sep 16)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7516448 (2020 Mar 10)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7514646 (2019 Oct 25)

• Information