Which Reason Devices would make it on their own

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
bxbrkrz

02 Jul 2023

challism wrote:
02 Jul 2023
bxbrkrz wrote:
02 Jul 2023
Scream 4 In Phase Edition VST $39
ha ha ha, it would be nice if that got addressed in an update.
I've said it so many times, but I'll repeat it: I would LOVE it if RS would give all the legacy devices a sorely needed update.
A simple little switch in the back: Vintage Mode <> OMG Mode.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

DJMaytag

05 Jul 2023

There was a time when I would have bought a VST and/or hardware version of Malström. I wasn’t using Reason much for a few years (after 6.5.3 up until 8.2), and I came back to Reason mainly for Malström.

josb

05 Jul 2023

I don't really understand why they don't extend the RE SDK such that ALL Reason Rack devices are built using it. Seems like an architectural no-brainer to me - why have 2 classes of devices instead of 1?

Plus it would showcase the SDK as well as force them to really dogfood it.

jlgrimes

07 Jul 2023

DaveyG wrote:
29 Jun 2023
Well, they tried and failed with Europa as a VST. Outside of the small pond that is the Reason ecosystem the instruments are not so special and would struggle to stand out in a saturated market.
I think though if they focused primarily on VSTS though Europa would me more developed.

That said Grain is unique, Algorithm holds well on its own, and Neptune is surprisingly good.

I think maintaining a DAW, and a RE Environment in itself is alot of work on its own.

kitekrazy

09 Jul 2023

I was on forums where non Reason users bought the iPad version of Thor.
I think a lot of Reason apps would make great VSTs. I'm a fan of Redrum.

reasonosaer

09 Jul 2023

most of the Props/RS instruments are very good even compared to the wider VST market imo, but sound quality is only a small part of what makes a VSTi successful. i mean everything arturia make sounded terrible until very recently and it didn't stop them from becoming one of the biggest softsynth companies around. most of the Reason instruments probably wouldn't sell well as standalone VSTs but its not because they aren't some of the best sounding, most fun to play with instruments around. it's because the people running the company are completely clueless about the market they're in, what their strengths as a company are, or how to market themselves around those strengths. the fact that they're still in business at all after the past decade of mismanagement is a testament to the quality of many of the props instruments. that and the fact that several top shelf 3rd party devs like synapse, blamsoft, etc have continued to develop REs despite being given every reason to walk away by RS. we'll probably never see REs from the likes of Korg, McDSP, Softube, etc again given the reputation RS has developed in the industry and that's a shame. i'd love to have RE versions of all the korg gadgets. the overall quality of the instruments available in the rack is definitely not as big an edge as it was a few years ago and that edge will continue to shrink. unless they nail a sequencer overhaul, add midi io for VSTs and MPE support, update the SSL and stock devices, and completely overhaul the current perception of the company with their customers and industry players RS will either get bought or fade slowly into increasingly obvious failure in the next decade.

the good news is that the industry at large is in the middle of a good ole fashioned competition and innovation destroying m&a orgy and RS could easily get snapped up by a conglomerate bro butthurt that he just lost a bidding war for t-racks. i could actually make a pretty good surface level case for an outright acquisition by apple, roland, or yamaha while there's any legacy IP left to buy up. my personal vote is yamaha because it would be so cool to have a 1966 classical guitar, 2008 dirtbike, and 2012 DAW all made by the same company! that said as much as i despise everything apple its kind of crazy how well reason's strengths are exactly what sucks about logic and logic's best features are the stuff that was already outdated in reason when apple bought logic. just sayin.

jlgrimes

16 Jul 2023

reasonosaer wrote:
09 Jul 2023
most of the Props/RS instruments are very good even compared to the wider VST market imo, but sound quality is only a small part of what makes a VSTi successful. i mean everything arturia make sounded terrible until very recently and it didn't stop them from becoming one of the biggest softsynth companies around. most of the Reason instruments probably wouldn't sell well as standalone VSTs but its not because they aren't some of the best sounding, most fun to play with instruments around. it's because the people running the company are completely clueless about the market they're in, what their strengths as a company are, or how to market themselves around those strengths. the fact that they're still in business at all after the past decade of mismanagement is a testament to the quality of many of the props instruments. that and the fact that several top shelf 3rd party devs like synapse, blamsoft, etc have continued to develop REs despite being given every reason to walk away by RS. we'll probably never see REs from the likes of Korg, McDSP, Softube, etc again given the reputation RS has developed in the industry and that's a shame. i'd love to have RE versions of all the korg gadgets. the overall quality of the instruments available in the rack is definitely not as big an edge as it was a few years ago and that edge will continue to shrink. unless they nail a sequencer overhaul, add midi io for VSTs and MPE support, update the SSL and stock devices, and completely overhaul the current perception of the company with their customers and industry players RS will either get bought or fade slowly into increasingly obvious failure in the next decade.

the good news is that the industry at large is in the middle of a good ole fashioned competition and innovation destroying m&a orgy and RS could easily get snapped up by a conglomerate bro butthurt that he just lost a bidding war for t-racks. i could actually make a pretty good surface level case for an outright acquisition by apple, roland, or yamaha while there's any legacy IP left to buy up. my personal vote is yamaha because it would be so cool to have a 1966 classical guitar, 2008 dirtbike, and 2012 DAW all made by the same company! that said as much as i despise everything apple its kind of crazy how well reason's strengths are exactly what sucks about logic and logic's best features are the stuff that was already outdated in reason when apple bought logic. just sayin.
I wouldn't say old Arturia stuff was terrible. Mainly though it was just that their analog emulations weren't that accurate especially by today's standards.

Many people hated on NIs Pro 53 in terms of accurate and when Arturia released their own they said it was much better. About 10 years later people started hating on Arturia's Prophet. Mainly because companies like Uhe kind of took analog modeling to a new level and from that point other companies had to step their game up.

Some of Arturia's synths like the Minimoog haven't been updated but one thing Arturia gets right is presets. There are many synths that aren't that special but if they come with an amazing sound library, it will usually get high praise.

I think Arturia knew what people wanted (emulations of classic synths). They tried to deliver early on at a fast pace and other companies either missed the opportunity (NI), or just couldn't move as fast. I think too around the time DIVA came out, Arturia started looking at digital emulations which they were pretty successful and also strive to improve their legacy synths.

Sometimes being first or fairly early helps. Even if it isn't 100% accurate, many users will still grab it because there isn't much choice at that time.

• Information