Live Recording question

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Faxxer

09 Sep 2016

Hello friends,

I've got a project to record my son's high school orchestra (about 40 students in a string orchestra)

I wouldn't dream of doing it with anything but Reason. (for the orchestra booster club to sell CD's)

I've never recorded this big of an acoustic group before....this entire project will be a first.
I'm glad for the experience, and I'm open to ideas, but thought I'd ask a question about mics and placement.

I've got a very sensative Carver mic that picks up EVERYTHING really well... I was thinking of placing this right where the conductor would be.
I also have 4 directional mics that I thought about aiming down each string lane ...example Basses, Cellos, Violins, violas...My thinking was that I could pan these 4 into their varying positions to give some width to the big picture.

I haven't done anything like this before, so I'd LOVE some input, ideas, feedback, general insults will be partially tolerated too. :D

Any ideas on mic use and placement that would be better than my stated above?

...I suppose I could just move the Carver mic out 20 feet center in front for that distant feel to the orchestra...but I was going for something more intimate sounding, hence the panned directional mics....or am I all wet?

HIT ME!
:essentials: :adapted: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :rebirth: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition: :o

JCBendock

10 Sep 2016

How many input channels do you have?

Faxxer

11 Sep 2016

I have the Tascam US-1800 interface, but only the 5 mentioned mics
:essentials: :adapted: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :rebirth: :reason: :record: :refill: :ignition: :o

QVprod

12 Sep 2016

I think the ideal would be recording the orchestra in stereo (using 2 condenser mics in either AB or ORTF) instead of just one mic behind the conductor so that the sound would be wide to begin with. Then you could use the remaining mics to capture each lane (if needed).

Given what you have though, your approach is probably the best you can do assuming that by directional mics you mean regular handhelds and by "Carver mic" you actually mean a Carvin condenser mic.

If my assumptions of what you have are correct, then for an intimate sound 20 feet might actually work depending how reverberant the room is and how widely spaced the orchestra is. The danger of being too close is that you'll pick up mostly the center instruments and not as much of everything else. Too far, and you'll more of the room sound, and less of the intimate sound you want. If you have the time, I would suggest testing out the distances to see what works best before starting the actual recording.

Faxxer

20 Sep 2016

Thank you QVprod for the great advice!

Correct on the mic by the way!!! lol...I don't get it out of the box much except for special recording occasions...don't get much time to do recordings unfortunately.

I may be able to get ahold of an additonal mic of similar sensitivity before the time to record comes up to get that wider sound.

The school will let the orchestra use it's auditorium which is much better than the practice room for sound and room reflection. The practice room is bombarded with A/C sounds right outside the windows.

Sadly i already know I won't get a chance to try out the distance until the day of recording, everyone involved is just too busy to give it much time and energy. Fortunately it's just for the booster club and nothing going out to be sold at the local Hastings store. Maybe I'll get a chance to soundcloud one for people here to listen and critique....there will be many improvements I can learn from I have no doubt!!!!

• Information