Falling in love with samples

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
ejanuska

27 Feb 2017

Lately I've been using more and more samples from an online sample library, Noiiz. Now I could have gone with Splice, or another library, whatever you like.
Anyhow, I'm really glad I have access to something like this. I let the search engine find what I need, I download it, slap it in a audio track. Most times a little reverb or delay is all it needs, if at all.
I'm not composing tracks with the samples but its nice to just grab something, really it could be from the factory library, some crap I downloaded, a refill. You can really fatten up a flat sounding snare or kick, add some fresh textures.
It seems faster to find sounds online then searching through the hard drive, and my drive is pretty organized.

Anyhow just thought I would throw that out there.

If any noobs are reading you might want to consider utilizing more samples while learning Reason, then move on to the synths.

Koncide

28 Feb 2017

Good sounding samples are key, no matter what genre you're making.

Though I am a self-confessed sample junkie. A very good friend of mine recently gave me some of his paid for samples (naughty) from various dnb/dubstep orientated packs, and I nearly kissed him. The joy.
Ambient garage vibes.

theshoemaker

28 Feb 2017

Whatever makes you happy and boosts your creativity is good. There is no right or wrong. Samples can be more vibrant than anything else. Try freesound.org there are so many great samples! Whish there would be some integration :)
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

ejanuska

28 Feb 2017

theshoemaker wrote:Whatever makes you happy and boosts your creativity is good. There is no right or wrong. Samples can be more vibrant than anything else. Try freesound.org there are so many great samples! Whish there would be some integration :)
I've been there but, I've been steering clear of free stuff just so I can cut in half the number of samples to audition. Besides, I paid for Noiiz, might as well use it. The search and interface is good. They have VST integration, but let's not go there.

ThisIsNotTheMusic

02 Mar 2017

This is really useful. I have stayed away of free samples as last time I downloaded some it caused an error in my computer. Where is the best place to go for vocal samples, old school R&B, Dance Hall, DubStep, or Grime type stuff ... ?
https://soundcloud.com/hissotheusic

In space, no one can hear your song ....

ejanuska

06 Mar 2017

Splice or Noiiz.
I'm sure there are other services like them. Splice has been around longer. Both are priced about the same.

ThisIsNotTheMusic

06 Mar 2017

Hmm subs service on Splice ... is it worth the outlay I wonder? Any safe free sample sites, Looperman for example? Happy to subscribe and trial it, just don't want to waste my time.

ravisoni

09 Mar 2017

For drum hits (acoustic, no EDM), a freesound.org user by the name quartertone has TONS of quality samples.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

ThisIsNotTheMusic

13 Mar 2017

ravisoni wrote:For drum hits (acoustic, no EDM), a freesound.org user by the name quartertone has TONS of quality samples.
Thanks, appreciate it. Anyone know where to source some quality (free) vocal samples?

Stock Music Musician

30 Mar 2017

The Converse Rubber Tracks is chock a block with great, free samples.

ThisIsNotTheMusic

30 Mar 2017

Stock Music Musician wrote:The Converse Rubber Tracks is chock a block with great, free samples.
Looks interesting! All I have to do now is work out how to use the site, it doesn't seem very intuitive - or maybe it's me that isn't! :geek:

strangers
Competition Winner

04 Apr 2017

I just stumbled across samples and one shots within a bunch of refills I recently bought. Gotta admit... I'm having a ton of fun slapping vocal samples into the NN-XT and going ham from there.

I'm still pretty new to the electronic world, so it'd be really inspiring to hear about what you guys do with samples or even how you approach sampling. I barely even know what I'm asking, so please take that in any way, shape or form.

teddymcw

06 Apr 2017

strangers wrote:I just stumbled across samples and one shots within a bunch of refills I recently bought. Gotta admit... I'm having a ton of fun slapping vocal samples into the NN-XT and going ham from there.

I'm still pretty new to the electronic world, so it'd be really inspiring to hear about what you guys do with samples or even how you approach sampling. I barely even know what I'm asking, so please take that in any way, shape or form.
I think I probly do mostly the same thing you are to be honest. I used to think it was 'cheating' but now is a go to in a certain part of the process.

I usually just edit a good part of an acapella track so that I have a bunch of those good phrases in a folder and then when I make an instrumental that is begging for a vocal or other sample I browse through to see what fits. Then I usually import it to an audio track and use the pitch editor to get it on key if need be, then of course a little reverb and/or other delay and fx.

I'm extremely curious to see and hear what the new sampler REs will come up with in the near future. It'll probly do some things I can't quite conceive of atm. Auto time-stretch with pitch would be amazing, that's difficult to manage rt now. Proton's granular feature set is great but I'm not in love with it more than what I already had.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2017

@OT: Man, this thread is inspiring. I wanna compose a track entirely out of samples on the timeline. Just using time-stretch, pitch-shift, and the mixer with some inserts. Should be pretty cool to have that level of control. We'll see how it sound in the end tho, haha.

teddymcw

07 Apr 2017

strangers wrote: I'm still pretty new to the electronic world, so it'd be really inspiring to hear about what you guys do with samples or even how you approach sampling. I barely even know what I'm asking, so please take that in any way, shape or form.
Also, you should check out 'Herman Crantz's "exploring Factory Soundbank" series' on youtube. He's on this forum as well, but I forget his handle name. He uses all samples from the FSB in at least two of those vids.
WeaponX323 wrote:I wanna compose a track entirely out of samples on the timeline.
Ya, we should start a song challenge thread before long, it'd help me get better at the art of it including using the diff samplers when appropriate. Though if that previously teased sampler RE comes out soon then that'd be a good opp for that kind of thing as well.

kitekrazy

08 Apr 2017

I do believe Noiz is samples from Samplephonics. Those are great. If you got the early bird subscription it's a real bargain. Enjoy. I started messing with samples in Reason as well. One shots are really fun to mess with in Redrum. I eventually want to map a kit in Kong.

strangers
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2017

Thanks for the info, guys. I dove a little more into sampling with some trial and error. I sampled a classic moment in a new track I just uploaded to my soundcloud that anyone who ever experienced the glory days of AOL will remember. I was surprised to notice how right you all were. Samples really don't need much work, beyond chopping up the parts you want, when it comes to processing. When I was experimenting with random samples it didn't call for much other than some EQ, Scream4 and a touch of reverb. Sampling is pretty addicting.

MGB

10 Apr 2017

teddymcw wrote:
Ya, we should start a song challenge thread before long, it'd help me get better at the art of it including using the diff samplers when appropriate. Though if that previously teased sampler RE comes out soon then that'd be a good opp for that kind of thing as well.

Would be well up for this! Either samples from Noiiz (if people have access) or a collection from the FSB or someone could put together a pack of assorted bits and pieces.

teddymcw

11 Apr 2017

MGB wrote:
teddymcw wrote:

Would be well up for this! Either samples from Noiiz (if people have access) or a collection from the FSB or someone could put together a pack of assorted bits and pieces.

I'd totally organize but I won't really have ample time until June. I'd be down just to participate of course though. Maybe in that amount of time the sampler will come out and / or Noel and / or a sample pack maker can help make a bonus pack for people. I'm not great at org and promotion stuff but maybe someone would latch on. Otherwise using FSB and outside samples since our challenge isn't for money would be plenty. A few more tools for Reason's environment though could make it a sampler's dream though, so I'll keep dreaming til then!

• Information