Reason going "Live"

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
tewoc

15 May 2024

I thought about that so many people perform music or sound live in our times or they buy cheap synthsesizers and a effect device (like big sky) to play / perform live with hardware in real time. So, the rack and the "live hardware" are already there in Reason at it's best, wouldn't it be the logical consequence to add just a couple more live tools (like a clip launcher or different clip looping possiblities)?

Is much coding work needed to implement stuff like this? I think this would be very successfull because Reason seems like a perfect match for it, espeacially now with VST and this beautiful high graphic quality.

DaveyG

15 May 2024

I'd love a clip launcher in Reason but only for composition and studio recording. Since the R12 debacle I would never trust Reason in a live situation. Reason used to be rock solid but I just don't think they have a sufficiently stable platform any longer.
Other opinions are available.

dioxide

15 May 2024

I play live with Reason, and both live and in the studio it is very stable. I barely use any VSTs though so maybe it's that? A clip launcher in Reason would be great but also better Remote implementation would help. IMO there are two reasons that people have gone back to hardware setups to play live. The first is stability – while Reason is stable, other DAWs plus VSTs usually aren't. The second reason is that each hardware box has an interface designed to use with the sound engine inside the box. In Reason out of the box Remote maps are often pretty poor and there are limitations to what can be done both in Remote and in the devices themselves. Often third party RE devs don't understand the need for Remote support and even RS have missed some opportunities to show how Reason could be used for jamming with MIDI controllers. The RS Players have very basic Remote support which stops them being as useful as something like Redrum, which has very good Remote support.

Aosta

15 May 2024

Another :thumbs_up: for clip launcher and any other tools for live work.
Tend the flame

spacepluk

16 May 2024

DaveyG wrote:
15 May 2024
I'd love a clip launcher in Reason but only for composition and studio recording. Since the R12 debacle I would never trust Reason in a live situation. Reason used to be rock solid but I just don't think they have a sufficiently stable platform any longer.
Other opinions are available.
Do you feel that way also with the latest versions? I've been using other DAWs for a couple of years (Apple Silicon/VST3 related) and only recently started to use it again and it's been as rock solid as I remember.

I would totally use a clip launcher for messing around but it's pretty low on the list of things I want haha

• Information