horizontal piano roll

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
vrbi

08 May 2024

hello,

I'd find usefull to have option to rotate the piano roll from vertical representation to horizontal - not only it's more easily readable in chromatical order but (for me personally, at least) I see the beat subdivions more clearly, when working with MIDI.
Yes, I've come a long road from trackers first on ZX Spectrum in 80's, then ModEdit and Fastracker in 90's - so I'm more familiar to this style of visual representation but I think many others would find it easier to work with.
It's just one button more to flip the piano roll there-and-back from vertical to horizontal, as you please for whichever works best for you.

as for me personally, this is the only improvement I desperately need for years and would be the only reason to upgrade to R13, if it's there.
hope there's more people like me to find this feature useful.
Attachments
Reason13 fullscreen - piano roll rotated res3.png
Reason13 fullscreen - piano roll rotated res3.png (813.43 KiB) Viewed 395 times

cocoazenith

08 May 2024

No offense vrbi but u're in the 0,000001 percent of users that need this

vrbi

08 May 2024

cocoazenith wrote:
08 May 2024
No offense vrbi but u're in the 0,000001 percent of users that need this
well, then it's not for you and you don't need to turn people down for their needs. it's just an idea, that might help some.
if it finds its way to be done in Reason, it's for those who use it.
there's a reason why some softwares like Piano visualiser exist, because there are people to whom it simply works and helps.
if it will be implemented in some newer versions of Reason, you can simply just ignore the function and live happily on without it :) peace

spacepluk

08 May 2024

I find it a bit confusing to have a horizontal piano roll and the arrangement in a different orientation. It's an interesting idea but I think it wastes a lot of screen real estate with empty space.

Neo

08 May 2024

Perhaps wait for an Atari ST TrackeRE

:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

DaveyG

08 May 2024

vrbi wrote:
08 May 2024
I'd find usefull to have option to rotate the piano roll from vertical representation to horizontal
It's not something I'd use but you can have the prize for the most interesting feature suggestion of the week. :thumbup:

You might also be amused to hear that I think the current piano roll is "horizontal" and that your suggestion would be "vertical". I guess it depends whether we're thinking about the time line or the piano keyboard.

vrbi

08 May 2024

DaveyG wrote:
08 May 2024
vrbi wrote:
08 May 2024
I'd find usefull to have option to rotate the piano roll from vertical representation to horizontal
It's not something I'd use but you can have the prize for the most interesting feature suggestion of the week. :thumbup:

You might also be amused to hear that I think the current piano roll is "horizontal" and that your suggestion would be "vertical". I guess it depends whether we're thinking about the time line or the piano keyboard.
lol, that's not a bad prize at all :D
But whether you focus on "piano" or the "roll" in the term "piano roll", rotating it 90 degrees makes the result the same, so it doesn't matter what you call it, as for which was upright - lays down in line and vice versa.
And if we can flip the rack from back to front and back again, why not the piano/roll? ("timeline" suits for it better, IMHO)
Nobody in the world plays the piano this way anyway :idea:
Attachments
piano vertical.png
piano vertical.png (515.73 KiB) Viewed 300 times

DaveyG

08 May 2024

vrbi wrote:
08 May 2024
Nobody in the world plays the piano this way anyway :idea:
No but almost everyone in the world writes music from left to right, be it on a paper staff or a DAW piano roll. You might have to call your vertical notation a piano yaw.

Marc64

08 May 2024

vrbi wrote:
08 May 2024
hello,

I'd find usefull to have option to rotate the piano roll from vertical representation to horizontal - not only it's more easily readable in chromatical order but (for me personally, at least) I see the beat subdivions more clearly, when working with MIDI.
Yes, I've come a long road from trackers first on ZX Spectrum in 80's, then ModEdit and Fastracker in 90's - so I'm more familiar to this style of visual representation but I think many others would find it easier to work with.
It's just one button more to flip the piano roll there-and-back from vertical to horizontal, as you please for whichever works best for you.

as for me personally, this is the only improvement I desperately need for years and would be the only reason to upgrade to R13, if it's there.
Now that is a extremely long piano if it was in real life :lol:
Use a tracker if you want to do music horizontaly, renoise is what you need then. You can use reason vst in that :)

Bes
Competition Winner

08 May 2024

it's a good idea, i don't know why folks are being rude
- Certified Reason expert

Quarmat
Competition Winner

08 May 2024

You can buy one of those monitors that can rotate 90 degrees (from landscape mode to portait mode, iykwim) and then when you need the piano roll in horizontal orientation you can rotate the monitor. All the labels will become harder to read but you'll have the piano roll the way you like it. When you're done you can rotate back the thing.
Some monitor adjust the content when they detect the rotation, but it can be locked in the monitors option menu.

Maybe it will be enough for your needs.

vrbi

09 May 2024

Quarmat wrote:
08 May 2024
You can buy one of those monitors that can rotate 90 degrees (from landscape mode to portait mode, iykwim) and then when you need the piano roll in horizontal orientation you can rotate the monitor. All the labels will become harder to read but you'll have the piano roll the way you like it. When you're done you can rotate back the thing.
Some monitor adjust the content when they detect the rotation, but it can be locked in the monitors option menu.

Maybe it will be enough for your needs.
nope, this won't work - because you'd need to re-orient the mouse, which is not possible.
if it was, I'd be using it already.
just try it for yourself, set the orientation of the second monitor (or the main) and enjoy the impossibility of the mouse going everywhere but not where you want it to go :D

ksniod

09 May 2024

Marc64 wrote:
08 May 2024
vrbi wrote:
08 May 2024
hello,

Now that is a extremely long piano if it was in real life :lol:
Use a tracker if you want to do music horizontaly, renoise is what you need then. You can use reason vst in that :)
Aodix (also originally made par Arguru, like Noisetrekker which became Renoise) has an horizontal /vertical scrolling piano roll inherited from its tracker origin, and is relaunched as open source software.
https://github.com/vanjac/aodix-enhanced/ (Windows only)
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604250
Last edited by ksniod on 09 May 2024, edited 1 time in total.

crimsonwarlock

09 May 2024

vrbi wrote:
08 May 2024
Yes, I've come a long road from trackers first on ZX Spectrum in 80's, then ModEdit and Fastracker in 90's - so I'm more familiar to this style of visual representation
Actually, trackers didn't have piano rolls at all. They have/had tracks (hence the name 'tracker'), that were vertically displayed. This was due to the amount of information, on each position in a track, being shown as efficiently as possible. So, the tracks of a tracker being shown vertical is for the same reason that piano rolls show from left to right; it is the most efficient way to show (and work with) the data.

The fact that no DAW, present or past, ever had a vertical scrolling piano roll (for the obvious reasons stated), makes it pretty sure that this will never be implemented in the Reason DAW :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

supersmarter

14 May 2024

I think this piano roll is a terrible idea. Don't be upset it is just my opinion. Likely rooted in the fact that all other DAWs I ever played with didn't have such a feature. I am honestly discouraged at looking at it. I can understand someone else might feel completely the opposite.

jam-s

14 May 2024

That view (piano at the bottom) would be nice for playback, but for recording it should be at the top. So I guess if anything it would be most useful to have a thin, translucent piano roll in the middle of the screen denoting the position of the play head.

While it's a quirky idea which could attract RS to implement it, I think there are quite a few things with higher value and which got requested much more often and thus should be implemented before.

• Information