How to separate Midi in from my DAW (Cubase) to each instrument?

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
NICVAS

23 Nov 2023

I was using Reason 5 before as a ReWire instrument in Sonar, and there was a Hardwasre Interface at the top of Reason and inside the Advanced Midi section to manage Midi In to control instruments.

Now, in Reason 12 as a rack, when playing any Midi note from my DAW, all instruments are played. That's horrible!
How the hell can you send channel 1 to one instrument and channel 2 to another one, etc.

DaveyG

23 Nov 2023

It's not ideal but load up multiple instances of the rack, one per instrument.
(I miss ReWire too!)

NICVAS

24 Nov 2023

Thank you, but that woyld be too heavy for the DAW, and for example you need to duplicate effects in Reason, so more processor load...
I don't understant why it is available in standalone version and not in the VST Rack?
I suppose I'm missing something somewhere

DaveyG

24 Nov 2023

Like I said, not ideal, but the RRP is Reason Studios' "solution" to removing ReWire. The rack plugin has no concept of MIDI channel. It just responds to any MIDI it receives. I don't think they will be making any improvements in that area so you just have to find a way to work around it.

If the effects are shared you can always put them in another Reason rack and route the output of the other racks to it via a bus. The RRP plugin is a bit resource hungry but adding more instances of it does not hugely increase the resource usage. If you split an RRP with two instruments in it to two RRPs each with one instrument it uses a little more memory but hardly any more CPU, so it might not be as bad as you think. Try it. :thumbup:

NICVAS

24 Nov 2023

Thank you, well I'll try this way, I don't have any aother option. I'll let you know!

huggermugger

24 Nov 2023

You can build a multi-timbral Combinator by using key zones.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-11-24 at 8.30.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-24 at 8.30.03 AM.png (283.12 KiB) Viewed 2023 times

NICVAS

24 Nov 2023

Hey!!! I found another way. As Rewire is discontinued, I had the idea to start both Cubase 12 and Reason 12 and use a Midi Loop free software.
Check this video

The Midi Loop is this one: https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html
So what I do is
- opening a new port in Midi Loop tool
. Use this Midi port as output in my first DAW (Cubase)
- Use the same port as input in my second "DAW" -> Reason
- Load my saved Reason project
- In Reason, in the Hardware Interface -> Advances Midi, I select a specific instrument for each channel.
- I select the output Midi channel on each specific track my 1st DAW

So my first DAW send midi data through the Midi Loop port (that includes the 16 channels) and Reason receive them and plays it.

Of course, sounds are separated and going out from each DAW, but I mix them in Voice Meeter Banana (https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm)

That's it

NICVAS

24 Nov 2023

huggermugger wrote:
24 Nov 2023
You can build a multi-timbral Combinator by using key zones.
The problem is that with the Combinator your can't separate the midi Channel. You can devide the keyboard but I didn't find how to assign a specific midi channel to the Combined instrument

• Information