What are the RE must haves?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
nooomy

23 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
18 Sep 2021
muckmclane wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Glad I could pick up this one of a kind RE, before the unforeseen issues.

GEM.png
There are a few REs and Refills no longer available that I missed out on.

But I'd not feel comfortable using any of his REs.
I don’t think there are any must have rack extensions.
You get so much with the reason factory setup.

But if you are making hip hop a great moog clone is always helpful. You hear a lot of the moog sound on a lot of hip hop beats.

I think Synapse legend Get the closes to the real deal. ( I have owned a couple of moogs before)
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

Harpuia

23 Sep 2021

The only paid devices I couldn't live without are:

Polar - drop pitch of instruments by octaves, also works as a pseudo-chorus

Fritz - send loops or tracks through and resample the output

GQ-7 - EQ duties. I like the visual nature, and dragging the curves around.

Honorable mention of Nostromo, I love it, and want to use it more, but most of my work lately has been either with microtones (using Serum and .tun files), or with granular stuff, so I could probably live without it.

tronam

27 Sep 2021

I forgot to mention DR-1 Deep Reverb. I love that thing and if Synapse made it into a VST I would buy it immediately just so I could have an excuse to buy it twice. I kind of regret buying the Relab LX480 because while it may be the most accurate, I actually prefer DR-1's interpretation of that style of Lexicon hall.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

adfielding

27 Sep 2021

tronam wrote:
27 Sep 2021
I forgot to mention DR-1 Deep Reverb. I love that thing and if Synapse made it into a VST I would buy it immediately just so I could have an excuse to buy it twice. I kind of regret buying the Relab LX480 because while it may be the most accurate, I actually prefer DR-1's interpretation of that style of Lexicon hall.
I love the DR-1, and like you I would totally buy it again if it had a VST version. I picked up ReLab's Sonsig Rev-A and got LX480 Essentials as a freebie and those are both really, really nice... but the DR-1 is just so nice. On a related note - I believe the DR-1 is based on the QRS, albeit with a few changes. ReLab have teased that they're working on a full QRS emulation for a little while now, which I would be very interested in checking out should it ever materialise.

While I'm here, I tend to rotate which REs I frequently use - but here are some of my other must-haves off the top of my head:
Blamsoft VK-2
All of Kuassa's amp sims, but I have a big soft spot for Vermillion & Creme in particular
Kuassa EVE MP-5
All of Selig's REs

Extra shout out to Lectric Panda Evolution for Nostromo/Evolution/Aggregate Music System, all of which massively scratch the "I need some ideas to help me get started" creative itch. Also BeatMap - I know it's a bundled Player, but it's my absolute favourite player bar none.

tronam

27 Sep 2021

adfielding wrote:
27 Sep 2021
tronam wrote:
27 Sep 2021
I love the DR-1, and like you I would totally buy it again if it had a VST version. I picked up ReLab's Sonsig Rev-A and got LX480 Essentials as a freebie and those are both really, really nice... but the DR-1 is just so nice. On a related note - I believe the DR-1 is based on the QRS, albeit with a few changes. ReLab have teased that they're working on a full QRS emulation for a little while now, which I would be very interested in checking out should it ever materialise.
That's interesting! I always assumed DR-1 with its swirly modulated tail was modeled on the "random hall" algorithms in 80s era Lexicons like the 480, but the QRS hadn't even occurred to me. I'm not that familiar with it, but I'm really curious to hear it now. And thanks for reminding me about VK-2. I need to start using it more.

Neo

27 Sep 2021

You'll never guess:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... elig-gain/
Should just be apart of the DAW imo.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

selig
RE Developer

27 Sep 2021

adfielding wrote:
27 Sep 2021
Original QRS was initially promoted more for smaller spaces, which was an "unexplored" area in the digital realm at that time (Early 1980s). Lexicon had the long colorful reverbs (still my faves), AMS had the non-lin thing, EMT 250 was "what it was" (nice chorus IIRC), but QRS was the only option for creating believable spaces (really good for drums and percussion) and possibly the first digital reverb to introduce the "freeze" effect. I never thought the QRS was that great at longer reverb sounds, but I also had several Lexicons to compare it to…
Selig Audio, LLC

tronam

27 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
27 Sep 2021
adfielding wrote:
27 Sep 2021
Original QRS was initially promoted more for smaller spaces, which was an "unexplored" area in the digital realm at that time (Early 1980s). Lexicon had the long colorful reverbs (still my faves), AMS had the non-lin thing, EMT 250 was "what it was" (nice chorus IIRC), but QRS was the only option for creating believable spaces (really good for drums and percussion) and possibly the first digital reverb to introduce the "freeze" effect. I never thought the QRS was that great at longer reverb sounds, but I also had several Lexicons to compare it to…
It turns out I had a bunch of QRS impulse responses and it makes sense now why they were all relatively short rooms. Maybe Synapse just took that inspiration and then added modulation to the reverb tail?

adfielding

28 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
27 Sep 2021
Yeah, I must admit I was kind of surprised to learn that the QRS (which I previously knew nothing about) has a more roomy, "darker" sound after I heard that it was a big inspiration for the DR-1, which I tend to associate with a larger, spacey kind of sound (which is why I love it!). I've never had the pleasure of trying the real thing out for myself, but I'd definitely love to try/hear it for myself. I must say I am a fan of LX480 Essentials, one day I may end up picking up the full-fat version but I feel like I've got my reverb needs met right now.

LaudusDeWire

02 Oct 2021

ABL3 Computer Bassline (Together with scream 4 💪🏽)
kHs Transient Shaper (There are lot more awesome little helpers from kHs 😉)
Pump
PunchBDRE Instrument
Softube Saturation Knob
Synapse Antidote (Now replaced by Dune 3 😜)
Synapse DR-1 Deep Reverb (Try the modulation knob 👌🏼)
Synapse GQ-7 Graphic Equalizer
Soundcloud

:reason: R12 | 🎹 Sequential Pro 3 | 🥁 Arturia Drum Brute Impact | 🎛 Synapse Dune 3

kitekrazy

05 Oct 2021

MrFigg wrote:
25 Jul 2021
RE-2A

;)
Isn't that the one developed by Cakewalk? Can people still get that one?

jam-s

05 Oct 2021

kitekrazy wrote:
05 Oct 2021
MrFigg wrote:
25 Jul 2021
RE-2A ;)
Isn't that the one developed by Cakewalk? Can people still get that one?
Yes and sadly no.

• Information