McDSP 670 compressor. Thoughts?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
BillyKodak

15 Apr 2015

I just purchased this compressor and it's a monster. So powerful. Anyone else got comments on it, good or bad? Cheers, Kodak.

Tincture

15 Apr 2015

I love it. Only have that one at present but hope to get the FRG one day. it isn't the fastest reacting but that's part of its character for me... A riding comp.

gak

15 Apr 2015

I'd like to know more about it. Other than their blurb and I think one viddy that kinda explains it there isn't much info.

clone

15 Apr 2015

Is the 670 good for all instruments, synths, pianos and drums? 

EthicistBeats

16 Apr 2015

I really like the Mcdsp stuff. TBH i haven't totally figured out how to use this to its fullest potential tho. I tend to go for the frg-ee first because i know how to use it best. But this post has had me using the c670 all day...

normen

16 Apr 2015

The original Fairchild was meant for broadcast to level out program material of different kinds so the really fast (release) settings were probably less used in its days. Nowadays its mostly revered for its tube design and its mid/side options (which sadly aren't available in the RE but can be emulated with a M/S decoder and two instances). Personally I use it for things where I might apply a LA-2A but want more control over attack/release.

As for good/bad, its like with microphones or any audio device really.. Theres at least ONE application where its just perfect :)

BillyKodak

16 Apr 2015

To me, it seems to be the most transparent comp in my rack. (I also have the FET and the LA-2A). On the master bus, offers a very transparent squash with TONS of smooth make-up gain. Almost like a maximizer. 

Ocean of Waves

16 Apr 2015

I have a secret love affair with mine, it's so beautiful

Concep

16 Apr 2015

I really wanted to like this compressor, but I put it up against C1-L1 on a lot of different things.  I could get C1-L1 to sound just like it and better in every case.  I'm not a big fan of this fair-child style compressor.  It's too audible in a bad way to my ears.

BillyKodak

16 Apr 2015

I've been trialling the Red Rocks compressor and there's no way I can generate the same amount of smooth gain as the 670. Maybe it's just me.

normen

16 Apr 2015

BillyKodak wrote:I've been trialling the Red Rocks compressor and there's no way I can generate the same amount of smooth gain as the 670. Maybe it's just me.
What do you mean by "smooth gain"? oO

BillyKodak

16 Apr 2015

When I put an instance on the master bus, and lower the threshold to around 3, I can crank the make-up gain to very loud levels without distortion. After bouncing, the file sounds incredibly full, detailed, and transparent. I can't get anywhere close with other comps.

psychasm

17 Apr 2015

For me ,670 is an excellent plugin. It adds a lot of warmth to the sound. Although with less controls like FRG and Mootube it's method of compression is smooth. Does not add as much distortion as both of those , more so the Moo. Im trialling all of these and tempted to get the bundle. If I only  had to pick one tho, I would be highly tempted to grab the FRG first because of added control. But after hearing the differences in the sound quality I might go for the the 670 instead. It doesn't make the drums sound as hollow to me as with FRG. The 670 can also pretty much squash a drum loop just as adequately as the other comps and without introducing a lot of distortion when pushed hard.

Tincture

17 Apr 2015

It's interesting that a few people have said that this comp can bear quite a bit of gain reduction... I tend to agree with that. I use it mainly as an instrument riding comp and have found it can take 6-8dB peaks fairly well for my ears, (even though I'm generally not pushing the Gain Reduction more than 3dB) given the simple time control.

gak

17 Apr 2015

Seriously, you guys have got me wanting to try it now. But sadly it's not supported by rstouch currently :frown:  

gak

18 Apr 2015

Hmmmmmmm. I don't like it much so far. Not getting the same results some have mentioned. 

JNeffLind

19 Apr 2015

I already have a couple compressors I don't know how to use fully, what's one more? 

Seriously though, I've put myself in RE timeout. Stop tempting me!

GRIFTY

19 Apr 2015

I personally love this one. I have it, re2a and fet, and they form a great trio. 670 is smooth and transparent, and what little color it adds is buttery and rich

dvdrtldg

19 Apr 2015

I'm getting fine floral honeysuckle notes with lingering hazelnut overtones and a long, smooth delicate finish of toasted cocoa nibs and ripe tannins. An elegant, complex compressor, ready to use now or within the next five years. Perfect on the master bus or with roast chicken.

gak

19 Apr 2015

Hold the rosemary please......

So far, there isn't anything about it that I can't get with better results using the SSL. What is frustrating is that there is no manual and basically nothing on the web about it.

Yeah, it's 3 controls, how hard can that be, right? Sorry, I have no idea what "time constraint" means. 

dvdrtldg

19 Apr 2015

Time constant = release. It's kinda slow, even at the fastest setting (i.e. all the way to the left).

gak

19 Apr 2015

Which makes sense. But there is virtually NOTHING about it with people using it. There was one youtube vid that was "ok" but other than mcdsp's thing (which is a salespitch w/o substance) it's just not out there.

EthicistBeats

20 Apr 2015

I learned most about the Mcdsp c670, just by looking up what people use a fairchild 670 on. The JJP Puigchild Waves vids are good... as well as any information regarding the 670 [shit, i even read the original manual lol]. Peace, hope that helps.

Concep

20 Apr 2015

You guys need to judge this thing and compare this thing with your ears, not what other people say in YouTube videos.  The amount of "smooth gain reduction" or whatever you mean by that is going to be different for every sound source.  I would never call 670 transparent, as I find the effect very audible.  It really clamps down on things in a way that I don't find useful.  The big thing you'll miss out on the 670 that you actually get with the full fairchild models is the mid side functionality.  

• Information