Jackbox 7R-909/7R-808 Analog Drum Module are in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

chimp_spanner

24 Jun 2015

Just tried these out as I've been jonesing for dedicated 808/909 units for ages and have been excited about these RE's. First impressions; they sound pretty good, and they look tidy/smart. These could ship with Reason and not look at all out of place. There's not really much else I can say beyond that :)

However I think for 39EU they could've crammed a few extra features in, such as rear mounted trim knobs for drum tuning (fixed pitch bass drum is a bit of a turn off for me). I appreciate that they're authentic in their limitations but where there's a possibility to expand functionality, then why not? I would really have liked to see some hacks/mods like on the Jackbox 707 to allow for a bit of extra tweaking. Patch recall would also be nice.

Maybe these things will come in an update but until then I think this is just too steep for me, given the things that are missing. JP's Kings of Kong is just shy of 9 quid and serves the same purpose. Saying that I would still rather use these dedicated units *if* they had the right features for me. Maybe in time :)

Also minor technical gripe for devs if they read it; Bassdrum "Tone" tooltip reads "Tune" for both panel control and CV input! I saw it and was like "weee..aww...noooo" haha.

**Edit: I will balance this out by saying they sound very groovy though, especially when paired up with System 9 and a bit of Random + Shuffle. That plus this "part synthesis" thing does seem to yield some pretty warm and analogue sounding results.

quadelectra

24 Jun 2015

The latest members of the Jackbox family are in the Prophellerhead Rack Extension Shop.

Both of these machines use a combination of samples and synthesis to achieve the most authentic results. 
Where applicable - according to the hardware counterpart, sounds have been carefully tweaked so that, although they may resemble, they are never exactly the same, just as if they where generated with analog circuitry.
Check them out following the links below:

Jackbox 7R-808: http://bit.ly/1LutcIR 
... and Jackbox 7R-909: http://bit.ly/1JiTU6J

devilfish

24 Jun 2015

Great!

The next two Joke-Boxes :D

devilfish

24 Jun 2015

Compared to my TR-8 ... No comment. REALLY!! Nobody needs such poor 808/909 emulations. Sorry. There are much better samples available for free..

Ashpool

24 Jun 2015

I am curious: Why are both RE's rated so bad. I mean, I have no idea how to use these sounds in my music and that's why I won't try (and rate) them until I feel they might be worth trying for me.

But as with the other Jackboxes. What's wrong with them? I never used the TR-Machines or listen to them closely but the demo sounds of these two devices do not sound very bad.

Can someone please explain? Just curious :-/

Drawat
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2015

devilfish wrote:Compared to my TR-8 ... No comment. REALLY!! Nobody needs such poor 808/909 emulations. Sorry. There are much better samples available for free..
Go play with your hardware then. Nobody needs such poor comments!

devilfish

24 Jun 2015

devilfish wrote:Compared to my TR-8 ... No comment. REALLY!! Nobody needs such poor 808/909 emulations. Sorry. There are much better samples available for free..
Drawat wrote:
My Hardware is SOFTWARE!!!! You know??!! ;)

dvdrtldg

24 Jun 2015

Drawat wrote:
On the contrary... if someone has an opinion about these devices, positive or negative, then I'd like to hear it. It's kind of the whole point of the thread.

I like these OK but for $39 each, I'm sticking with Kings of Kong which to my mind is way more versatile and sounds fantastic.

That's if you don't mind my saying so.

bepemixer

24 Jun 2015

Hi , fantastic sound, but I want ask this:

if I start to record and use the pad on the rack extension, nothing is record.
If I use Kong i can register what I play on the interface.

The price is corret for the sound and the features.

Good Music
Io uso Reason perchè funziona sempre!! : :reason: :record: :recycle: :ignition: :refill: :reload:

Bonkhead

24 Jun 2015

I was waiting for the 7R 909, being a huge 909 fanboy and ex-owner, so curious to test it. Email send with suggestions !

Great gui, looks very nice in the rack :s0230:

Bonkhead

24 Jun 2015

Ashpool wrote:What's wrong with them? I never used the TR-Machines or listen to them closely but the demo sounds of these two devices do not sound very bad. Can someone please explain? Just curious :-/

Let's just say the original 808 and 909 are (mostly) analog machines, with a special sound which isn't easily emulated with some samples. The 707 and 727 are originally sample machines, so there isn't much one can do wrong. I can understand purists won't like these first versions of 808 and 909, but hopefully the developpers will improve them in the (near) future. If they do, I hope the ratings can be reset too, for a more fair comparison and make them 5 star instruments.

pjeudy

24 Jun 2015

2 threads ?!? ...Ah I see now the OP is actually the developer  :thumbup:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

MrVibehead

24 Jun 2015

Only trial the 7R-808 until now and it looks like that we have a nice alternative 808 emulation here.
In my opinion this device sounds more authentic to the original than the BOOM 808 for example. 
Not static, more analog and groovy( :) ).
The bd has a more punchy sound with a well formed belly.
Hey Quadelectra:Is there a chance to get a bundle? 808 + 909

Bonkhead

24 Jun 2015

dvdrtldg wrote:On the contrary... if someone has an opinion about these devices, positive or negative, then I'd like to hear it. It's kind of the whole point of the thread.

Well, I have some suggestions and agree this isn't the best possible emulation of a 909. But I think it is better to just directly email them instead of doing some public rant and support them with my knowledge and 909 experience, if they want, making it better, since I'm not a capable programmer to create a 909 myself.

pjeudy

24 Jun 2015

Excuse me..but has anyone heard the excellent demo tracks made with these devices ?...WOW !! I see the Love that Quadelectra and there team have !!!  :t2018:

By the way why are soundcloud link look sooo big on the forums now ?
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Bonkhead

24 Jun 2015

Yeah, great demo's ! The last two are my favorites.

dvdrtldg

24 Jun 2015

Bonkhead wrote:Well, I have some suggestions and agree this isn't the best possible emulation of a 909. But I think it is better to just directly email them instead of doing some public rant and support them with my knowledge and 909 experience, if they want, making it better, since I'm not a capable programmer to create a 909 myself.
*groan*

OK then, let's re-name this the Why All REs Are Super Awesome!!! :) forum and be done with it.

Don't get me wrong, some comments are just stupid and it particularly drives me crazy when people batch endlessly about "overpriced" REs that cost $30, or air their sense of personal grievance every time they miss out on a sale.

But any criticism of an RE's quality or function should be perfectly legitimate. That earlier comment from devilfish was a bit snarky, but maybe there really are better TR-8 samples out there for free. I certainly appreciate the information and the opportunity to check it out for myself.

Sorry, but the idea that these threads should be exclusively devoted to "supporting developers" is ridiculous.

Bonkhead

24 Jun 2015

It is, that's why I emailed them ;) I reaallllyyy want a good 909 in the rack and these guys are the first ones to do it. So If I see room for perfection it would be just stupid to keep my suggestions to myself.

Not sure why you quoted me.

devilfish

24 Jun 2015

How much really good Code are in this emulations?
I think, and i hear only 39€ .. That' it.
How Long should it take to Code a 808 or 909 for 39€ ?
Or do we get subsidized RE's now??

scifunk

24 Jun 2015

While it's easy to sit there with a real 909 or 808 and diss these modules, personally I think they sound very good. If I didn't have a whole host of 808/909 samples already I'd be very tempted, but the price is a little bit off putting for what is a bunch of limited drum sounds in a rompler. At 19e each or both for 35e I'd have snapped them up. They look great though. Wait for a sale I guess.

CharlyCharlzz

24 Jun 2015

wooaw chill out guys , the Price is ok for a RE but that is Only if it's top sounding IMo .
it's best to read here the opinions then passing on it with out knowing it's really top stuff or letting something get credit for no good reasons  ,
anyway it look like Roland are the only ones getting credit for there work .
I cant say anything on it because I havent tryed it but it's what I read here that will make me push try or not because I aint got time to try everything .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

devilfish

24 Jun 2015

Where is the shuffle??????
LoL :D

CharlyCharlzz

24 Jun 2015

devilfish wrote:Where is the shuffle?????? LoL :D
there is no 808 with shuffle normaly  , it was not a factory feature .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Faastwalker

24 Jun 2015

The look great & sound great. But I was kind of hoping they'd come in at the same price as the previous Quadelectra drum RE's.

• Information