expanse vs europa

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dancing fool

28 Oct 2017

What are the main differences or similairities between Expanse and Europa?
Espanse is on sale thil 1 nov. and i am on reason 9.5 and could upgrade to 10.
What is the right choice?

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2017

Get eXpanse IMO

dancing fool

28 Oct 2017

aeox wrote:
28 Oct 2017
Get eXpanse IMO
I,m trying Expanse last week. it's a great synth with lots of movement for the osc and a lot of filter types. But how does Europa does this? If i buy Expance now and upgrade reason next summer will europa and expanse fill eachother or are they more the same thing?

esselfortium

28 Oct 2017

You should be able to download the Reason 10 demo and judge for yourself which one you like better :puf_smile: Personally I prefer Europa, it feels much easier to work with and I have an easier time getting it to sound super lush with minimal effort. Expanse is really solid too though — I’d say you can’t really go wrong, it’s just a matter of which one you get along with best.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

FGL

28 Oct 2017

Update first. You will get two new Synths and some other Goodies. And you will get more if 10.5 arrives. Also you give it to Proppellerhead Software and it is important that they make Money, for you own invest of Time and Money. Expanse is a good Synth, but this is not the same.

chaosroyale

28 Oct 2017

eXpanse is a full-featured wavetable synth on the same level -more or less- as Serum, and only 59 dollars at the moment.

Europa is a "lite" wavetable synth. You can get good, fast results but ultimately not on the same level as synths like eXpanse or Serum.
R10 is basically an RE pack of Europa and Grain for 129 dollars.

So, 1 great wavetable synth for 59, or 1 good wavetable synth and 1 different kind of synth for 129?

Auryn

28 Oct 2017

There are a lot of similarities between the two. IMHO Expanse edges out Europa sound-wise, but Europa's UI is better. Expanse's UI has too many different displays - it would work better if all displays were collapsed into one (like in the new Oberon update) and the display were bigger. I think it might have something to do with Expanse's UI having its roots in the previous SDK. Soundwise though, Expanse is on top.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

dancing fool

28 Oct 2017

chaosroyale wrote:
28 Oct 2017
eXpanse is a full-featured wavetable synth on the same level -more or less- as Serum, and only 59 dollars at the moment.

Europa is a "lite" wavetable synth. You can get good, fast results but ultimately not on the same level as synths like eXpanse or Serum.
R10 is basically an RE pack of Europa and Grain for 129 dollars.

So, 1 great wavetable synth for 59, or 1 good wavetable synth and 1 different kind of synth for 129?
Ok than,
Expanse is a big thing to do wavetable things with and europa is smaller in that.
The 10 update doesn't have very much new for me to offer at this moment
than Europa.
I've got parsec proton glitch noxius (and more RE) and vst arturia V collection and reaktor 6. Only the wavetable is a new very wellcome sythmethode for me. And i want to go deep into it like i id with the rest of my RE and vst.

sdst
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2017

I would choose expanse

reason 10 is reason 9 with 2 new RE

Aosta

28 Oct 2017

sdst wrote:
28 Oct 2017
I would choose expanse

2 new REs + 2 established REs + 3 IDTs + gigabytes of content just to clear things up.
Tend the flame

sdst
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2017

Aosta wrote:
28 Oct 2017
sdst wrote:
28 Oct 2017
I would choose expanse

2 new REs + 2 established REs + 3 IDTs + gigabytes of content just to clear things up.
to me is only grain and europa, I have synchronous I'm not interested in the rest

But that's my opinion

Goodbye

28 Oct 2017

I'd probably get Expanse and wait for 11. Unless you really like Grain (it's pretty nice), but Europa isn't great and needless to say, the rest is filler.

EdGrip

28 Oct 2017

Definitely definitely definitely try both. They both sound great, so it really is about the very personal matter of which you feel happiest working with and which feels most fun to you. eXpanse is considerably deeper; Europa is by NO means a simple synth, but maybe more inviting. Europa is lighter on CPU is that's a thing you need to concern yourself with. Try them. Try them.

dana

28 Oct 2017

Get expanse in the sale, and get Reason 10 for christmas, that is the right choice.

ravisoni

28 Oct 2017

Do you do a lot of sound design? Does the difference between heavyweight and lite matter? If you're a preset browser, I don't think you could go wrong with the 10 upgrade, simply because there will be most likely a ton of additions to 10.5 (possibly workflow improvements).
Expanse at 59 is not that bad either, but as a non-sound-designer, I wouldn't pay that much for a synth just for presets (despite it being one of the best steals you can get).
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

kungubu

28 Oct 2017

I don't agree that Europa don't sound as good as Expanse or Serum, and I don't agree with the description "lite". After playing around with Europa for 2 days I think it's a very capable synth with a lot of possible modulation, and a great, fast and intuitive UI – it's fun to work with and you get results instantly. But at the same time it isn't the same as Expanse, where you can load a wavetable of your choice or create your own and modulate everything to infinity – so Expanse is definitely more flexible. But this comes with a cost – it takes more time to get results... Also Europa is very lite on the cpu, so you can use a lot of Europas before you have to bounce to track. This might of course lead one to think that Europa has a cheap sound, but at least to my ear it sound as good as Serum or Expanse – but I never was the hi-fi guy. Personally I have Expanse and Serum and I don't regret buying any of them (yet at least) – and after fiddling with the R10 demo for two days I can't stop myself from upgrading. Europa and Grain are really fun and powerful synths (despite their very sparse back). As for Europa and Expanse I think they complement each other. Different workflows lead to different sounds...

miscend

28 Oct 2017

I think Europa sounds outstanding and the low CPU usage makes it very practical to use everyday.

moneykube

28 Oct 2017

it's all good
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Oquasec

29 Oct 2017

If you had only one choice?Expanse all the way to hell and back.
I only got both cuz I got expanse ages ago. but if you had to pick just one I'd say expanse all the way to hell and back lol
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Emian

29 Oct 2017

i was facing the same dilemma & i went with Expanse; wavetable import & all the CV-inputs at the back did it for me, & at 59€ it's a steal tbh ...

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

dancing fool

29 Oct 2017

Thanx for al the reply,
think i go for expanse now and reason 10 in the summer. I want a novation launch control xl for chritsmas :_)
i did notice that the custom / editor envelopes in europa are easyer to work with than the ones in expanse
i do use presets sometimes and make my own sounds also.

Marco Raaphorst

29 Oct 2017

You can't compare synths based on the term "better".

It's like saying a DX7 is a better synth compared to a DX100. Which I will not agree with. Both are great.

A Les Paul is not a better guitar than a Strat. It's a different guitar. Like any synth. Different tools, different characters, different usages, different vibes etc.

CaliforniaBurrito

29 Oct 2017

Oranges are better than apples I must say. Love me some citrus.

bjmatt

29 Oct 2017

I'd like to second that Europa is not "lite" at all. The envelopes are precise, fast, click with zero attack when needed, very easy to dial in anything in the graphical editor in no time. Filter drive is lovely and warm, and the FM/sine modifiers/effects are just perfect, musical, no aliasing or other artifacts, even with extreme settings. But my biggest favorite is the spectral filter, combining additive synthesis with wavetables was a fantastic creative idea. I think Europa is very underestimated, or at least misunderstood so far, it's not a Serum or Massive clone, it has it's unique features, and still does bread and butter sounds easily. I would gladly pay the price of the update for this synth alone.

lakinlakin

29 Oct 2017

bjmatt wrote:
29 Oct 2017
I'd like to second that Europa is not "lite" at all. The envelopes are precise, fast, click with zero attack when needed, very easy to dial in anything in the graphical editor in no time. Filter drive is lovely and warm, and the FM/sine modifiers/effects are just perfect, musical, no aliasing or other artifacts, even with extreme settings. But my biggest favorite is the spectral filter, combining additive synthesis with wavetables was a fantastic creative idea. I think Europa is very underestimated, or at least misunderstood so far, it's not a Serum or Massive clone, it has it's unique features, and still does bread and butter sounds easily. I would gladly pay the price of the update for this synth alone.
Well said.

• Information