RE Synth Song Challenge (no prize)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Jun 2018

So this is my second attempt at making some sort of active music making thread going again. We had a pretty good run with my last "One synth EP challenge" thread. Lots of music was created but eventually the thread died off.
I still like this idea of sticking to only one synth. But this time let's keep it even simpler. No need to write an entire EP and also no deadline needed (unless you want to of course).

The rules are simple.

Choose one RE synth.
Make one track with it.

Post your track here so that people can enjoy it and comment on it.

And let's try our best to give other people comments too. It doesn't need to be a review or anything, a few words will do just fine.
In some instances I think it's ok to use a couple of synths if they more or less belong to each other, like the Noise Engineering bundle or the Korg synths.

I'll make a list with the artist, RE synth and page number here so that people can find songs of particular synths/artists easier.

ravisoni

05 Jun 2018

Welcome back to this side. :) Hopefully you've shaken off the dust after your music holiday. I'm still working on EPs from the other thread, but this will serve as a much needed break.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

Adabler
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2018

I will try to contribute with some single synth cheese at some point in the near future!
:reason: 12, Win10

FLVZ

05 Jun 2018

Here's an EP I made using ES01, not got round to mix & mastering...
soundcloud.com/flavolous/sets/fata-morgana/s-C3YcZ

jimmyklane

05 Jun 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Jun 2018
So this is my second attempt at making some sort of active music making thread going again. We had a pretty good run with my last "One synth EP challenge" thread. Lots of music was created but eventually the thread died off.
I still like this idea of sticking to only one synth. But this time let's keep it even simpler. No need to write an entire EP and also no deadline needed (unless you want to of course).

The rules are simple.

Choose one RE synth.
Make one track with it.

And let's try our best to give other people comments too. It doesn't need to be a review or anything, a few words will do just fine.
In some instances I think it's ok to use a couple of synths if they more or less belong to each other, like the Noise Engineering bundle or the Korg synths.

I'll make a list with the artist, RE synth and page number here so that people can find songs of particular synths/artists easier.
I know this isn’t an “official” challenge, but it would be cool to set up a sort of judge panel, and have specific parameters that we judge on....for example:

Sound Design
Composition
Mixing (how well the poster manages to “blend” multiple instances of the same synth to create a cohesive whole)

What do you think? At the least we could then give some detailed feedback on each song that follows some sort of pattern so people could compare and contrast.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

Ahornberg

05 Jun 2018

what about using FX?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
05 Jun 2018
TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Jun 2018

The rules are simple.

Choose one RE synth.
Make one track with it.

I know this isn’t an “official” challenge, but it would be cool to set up a sort of judge panel, and have specific parameters that we judge on....for example:

Sound Design
Composition
Mixing (how well the poster manages to “blend” multiple instances of the same synth to create a cohesive whole)

What do you think? At the least we could then give some detailed feedback on each song that follows some sort of pattern so people could compare and contrast.
It's a good suggestion, one that might be worth exploring. But this thread/challenge reflects how I feel about music making at the moment. And at this moment I want to make music without much judgement. I want the process to be as undemanding as possible without thinking about perfecting things or thinking about the reception of others. I want this thread to be more about having fun and feeling inspired rather than focusing on improving. So for that reason I'd like to keep the rules as they are for this thread. But if someone wants to comment about those specific points that you brought up it's totally fine. But I'd rather not implement them as part of the rules if you know what I mean.

Maybe your idea is worth a thread of its own? Start a thread and see if people are interested. Then people can choose what direction fits best for them. Both paths are valid imo, one being more free and lighthearted and one being more competitive and focused on improvement.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
05 Jun 2018
what about using FX?
Use whatever FX you want.

hurricane
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2018

If you don't mind, I'm going to do one using the Subtractor.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

tibah

05 Jun 2018

Would a Grain-only song be a no-go, because of the "RE Synth" guideline?

Ahornberg

05 Jun 2018

I usually use one synth and lots of FX.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2018

hurricane wrote:
05 Jun 2018
If you don't mind, I'm going to do one using the Subtractor.
Go ahead :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2018

tibah wrote:
05 Jun 2018
Would a Grain-only song be a no-go, because of the "RE Synth" guideline?
It's ok, it's still a Reason device. Do it.

MannequinRaces

06 Jun 2018

This is good. I have two in the works that I was thinking might turn into an EP but working on one song at a time is going to be beneficial. Hope to share a song by the end of July, lol. :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2018

Great to see several people joining already.
Hopefully this thread can be used as a little boost of inspiration to create more music and to explore our RE synths. It's weird how a couple of simple rules and a small community can have that affect. But it seems to be working so I'm happy about that :D

Let's have some fun!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2018

Flavolous wrote:
05 Jun 2018
Cool project. I know I've heard this track before from the one synth EP thread but "Vibrous" is still my favorite track from this project.
I don't know if I would be ready to write a Vibro track myself. It's a pretty weird synth. Last time I used it I found it pretty hard to work with.

FLVZ

06 Jun 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
06 Jun 2018
Flavolous wrote:
05 Jun 2018
Cool project. I know I've heard this track before from the one synth EP thread but "Vibrous" is still my favorite track from this project.
I don't know if I would be ready to write a Vibro track myself. It's a pretty weird synth. Last time I used it I found it pretty hard to work with.
Not entirely sure what you mean. The two projects are only related in that there are one synth projects. But the songs themselves are completely unrelated. I don't know if that link is working properly, its a private playlist. Vibro is a pretty interesting synth. I know you don't like synths which are too deep, so I encourage you try using the patch randomiser & mask to create your sounds. You'll have plenty of fun with Vibro I think.

Adabler
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2018

Adabler wrote:
05 Jun 2018
I will try to contribute with some single synth cheese at some point in the near future!
This is the near future. I've made a short and strange song using only the Combo x-705. It sounds a little like synth pop/house video game/circus music. Also, I don't think this RE is not ideal for bass and drums, seems to be better suited for organ stuff. Mix is all over the place, as always. :)

Enjoy!

https://allihoopa.com/s/iZhohHYp

ravisoni

06 Jun 2018

I actually enjoyed this one. Feels very bright and a a breath of fresh air around 2:22 and on. Good job!

Adabler
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2018

ravisoni wrote:
06 Jun 2018
I actually enjoyed this one. Feels very bright and a a breath of fresh air around 2:22 and on. Good job!
Thanks!

Using only one instrument is great, people should join in! I think I'll do one with Khz One next, probably something 90's sounding...

nickb523
RE Developer

07 Jun 2018

Someone nominate me a synth and i'll have a stab at it over the weekend (preferably something stock) :)

@Adabler - I enjoyed your contribution so much that i just had to join in. Cheers!

Nick :)

ravisoni

07 Jun 2018

nickb523 wrote:
07 Jun 2018
Someone nominate me a synth and i'll have a stab at it over the weekend (preferably something stock) :)

@Adabler - I enjoyed your contribution so much that i just had to join in. Cheers!

Do you have 10? I'd nominate you for grain, haven't heard good synth sounds out of that one yet. Wasn't impressed by the factory patches either.

Adabler
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2018

nickb523 wrote:
07 Jun 2018

Thanks!

I would also like to nominate grain for you to stab!

@theshoemaker Thank you!
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Last edited by Adabler on 08 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

theshoemaker

08 Jun 2018

Adabler wrote:
06 Jun 2018
Adabler wrote:
05 Jun 2018
This is the near future. I've made a short and strange song using only the Combo x-705. It sounds a little like synth pop/house video game/circus music. Also, I don't think this RE is not ideal for bass and drums, seems to be better suited for organ stuff. Mix is all over the place, as always. :)

Enjoy!

https://allihoopa.com/s/iZhohHYp
Really outstanding piece of music! I'd actually buy it. Make a release and put it somewhere :) Deserves some promotion
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

nickb523
RE Developer

08 Jun 2018

Cool cool. Grain it is then! :)

• Information