Gate to Trigger converter RE?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DJMaytag

09 Feb 2022

I swear I had something like this before, but maybe not? I'm looking for an RE that will accept a gate input and output a trigger. I'm doing something where the note on AND the off from the gate are both triggering something I have in the real world, and I would like to just have the trigger, with no gate off. Is there or was there anything in the RS shop like this?

Stygian Abyss

09 Feb 2022

DJMaytag wrote:
09 Feb 2022
I swear I had something like this before, but maybe not? I'm looking for an RE that will accept a gate input and output a trigger. I'm doing something where the note on AND the off from the gate are both triggering something I have in the real world, and I would like to just have the trigger, with no gate off. Is there or was there anything in the RS shop like this?
I think you could build that easily with Truth from The Chronologists. Use the rising test with your gate signal as an input, and the output will be a trigger.

jam-s

09 Feb 2022

You might be thinking of this device here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n/trigate/
But this is doing the opposite of what you want by turning trigger CV into note + gate CV.

huggermugger

09 Feb 2022

Depending on the response of the device you want to trigger, you may still have the problem even with a trigger. A trigger is simply a gate with a very short gate time. It necessarily has to go 'low' after it has gone 'high' - if not, it can't go 'high' again.

Stygian Abyss

10 Feb 2022

huggermugger wrote:
09 Feb 2022
Depending on the response of the device you want to trigger, you may still have the problem even with a trigger. A trigger is simply a gate with a very short gate time. It necessarily has to go 'low' after it has gone 'high' - if not, it can't go 'high' again.
Exactly, that's why I suggested the rising test of Truth: it goes 'low' as soon as the input CV stops increasing. I've just tested it in the RRP while visualizing the output with Pongasoft's excellent CVA-7 device, the result is what the OP wants.

DJMaytag

10 Feb 2022

Nice. I will give that a shot!

Stygian Abyss

11 Feb 2022

You may also be interested by a trigger happening when a key is released. Do the same rising logic test in Truth using a second slot, but use the Inv output of a Spider CV Splitter instead of a direct copy of your gate signal.

mjxl

11 Feb 2022

You can also use Europa for this, really easy to set up too!
  • Set envelopes 1 and 2 to square waves.
  • Invert 1 if them
  • Enable sustain on both
  • Use cv outputs
  • Done :D

Bes
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2022

what about routing the gate to redrum. that'l give you a trigger out
- Certified Reason expert

DJMaytag

12 Feb 2022

Bes wrote:
11 Feb 2022
what about routing the gate to redrum. that'l give you a trigger out
The gate out of Redrum isn’t working like that. It’s still a gate out.

• Information