Physical Modelling Synthesis in Objekt - why not automated?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
rumbero

22 Jun 2023

Hi friends,

trying to model or rebuild various percussion sounds in Objekt creating synthesized versions of acoustic sounds (that's what Objekt is all about) I consider, that it should as well be possible to let the computer do the work: I'd like to have the option to load a sample (or enter a percussive sound via mike) and let the CPU do most of the tweaking...

Funfact: Objekt DOES HAVE an entry where to connect other devices, e.g. a mike. Anyway: that entry is only used to trigger other sounds in Objekt, not to model-synthesize samples. Pity.

Why isn't that possible in Objekt? Which synth offers that function I'm looking for?

Best regards
rumbero

jam-s

22 Jun 2023

I think you're looking for re-synthesis while object is a physical modelling synth.

Jackjackdaw

23 Jun 2023

I have two plugins that do resynthesis , Halion by Steinberg and CMI V by Arturia.

I think Parsec might do it in Re-land but I might be wrong.

marcuswitt

23 Jun 2023

rumbero wrote:
22 Jun 2023
Hi friends,

trying to model or rebuild various percussion sounds in Objekt creating synthesized versions of acoustic sounds (that's what Objekt is all about) I consider, that it should as well be possible to let the computer do the work: I'd like to have the option to load a sample (or enter a percussive sound via mike) and let the CPU do most of the tweaking...

Funfact: Objekt DOES HAVE an entry where to connect other devices, e.g. a mike. Anyway: that entry is only used to trigger other sounds in Objekt, not to model-synthesize samples. Pity.

Why isn't that possible in Objekt? Which synth offers that function I'm looking for?

Best regards
rumbero
Object follows a completely different approach by creating a sound 'from scratch' based on the physical behaviour of an accoustic instrument in the real world (and far beyond).
An instrument that uses samples in order to derive a re-synthesized sound from that sample would be Parsec/Parsec2. Unfortunately, you can't load your own samples into Parsec2 and re-synthesize them. Though, SPECTRA by Synthetech Sound allows you to load samples into this synth. But be warned: that particular synth is not the most intuitive one and it takes some effort to get a proper result. The upside of this instrument is that its FREE.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

I'm hoping for RS modifying Parsec2 in a way that lets you load and re-synthesize custom samples.

VSTs that support resynthesis, as far as I know:

Arturia Fairlight CMI
Arturia Synclavier
FL Studios HARMOR

selig
RE Developer

23 Jun 2023

Sounds like you’re looking for something like Synplant 2’s Genopatch feature, coming soon in version two:

https://soniccharge.com/forum/topic/2278-coming-in-2023

BTW, this is from the same guy who created Malström, Magnus Lidström! (Note the spelling of the last name)
Selig Audio, LLC

rumbero

23 Jun 2023

jam-s wrote:
22 Jun 2023
I think you're looking for re-synthesis while object is a physical modelling synth.
I had to lookup the term "resynthesis" - and yes, you are absolutely right! Thanks for teaching me this term! Well, anyway I don't see so much of a difference between resynthesis and physical modelling. In the latter one builds sounds from scratch but in both cases I suppose the purpose is getting close to real-world-sounds, isn't it? 🤔😉

Imho the option of resynthesis would make Objekt a lot more easy to use.

_andreypetr_

23 Jun 2023

Oh my God look at this

rumbero

23 Jun 2023

rumbero wrote:
23 Jun 2023
Well, anyway I don't see so much of a difference between resynthesis and physical modelling. In the latter one builds sounds from scratch but in both cases I suppose the purpose is getting close to real-world-sounds, isn't it? 🤔😉

Imho the option of resynthesis would make Objekt a lot more easy to use.
[/quote]

As far as I comprehend the topic until now, it's a matter of fact, that "physical modelling synthesis" is done "manually" (by a human being) whilst "resynthesis" is done by a computer. And that's the only difference, d'accord? 🤔
Last edited by rumbero on 23 Jun 2023, edited 2 times in total.

rumbero

23 Jun 2023

_andreypetr_ wrote:
23 Jun 2023
Oh my God look at this
That looks and sounds VERY interesting! :D
Thank You!

lychee

25 Jun 2023

I see very well what Rumbero is looking for (at least I think), and I also find that this function is missing in Objekt, and the question was asked during the Objekt Livestream.

What Objekt lacks is being able to capture the essence of a sound, I'm not talking about an entire sample, but being able to create its own sound base from the frequencies of an external sound, and not from presets included for objects 1 & 2 and the modal part.
I tried (without success) to do this manually, inspired by the method described in this video:

Jackjackdaw

25 Jun 2023

In my experience, resynthesis doesn’t usually create very pleasing results. You can see in that synplant video, they took a sample , made some horrible noises and settled on something that could have come out of a subtractive synth. Apparently in the development of the fairlight CMI, resynthesis was supposed to be the end result but once they figured out how to get the samples into the computer they realised the raw samples sounded loads better. I’m betting Parsec left out user sample loading to narrow down the source samples to musically usable material. There is a Sonic State video demonstrating resynthesis in Halion 6, again the results sound crappy. So I’m not sure Objekt has anything to gain by incorporating this feature.

I think if you are interested in synthesising real world acoustic properties then impulse responses are far more satisfying.

• Information