Toy Piano Refill

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
ncurry

08 Apr 2015

I was never really happy with the toy piano patches that I found in the FSB. I went online and found sound samples of a two-octave Shoenhut Toy Piano and turned them into Reason instruments. I wanted to recreate the unpredictable character of the instrument, so the combinator has multiple samples per note. I selected the forte and mezzoforte samples and created two velocity layers. I also created release samples to recreate the key clicks. Key clicks can be toggled on or off and have adjustable volume. You can preserve the range of the original instrument, or extended it up to five octaves through the magic of the NN-XT.  The site also had some really interesting samples of case hits and rod noises. I turned them into a Kong. No bells and whistles, just a (hopefully) authentic sounding instrument. I'm not a professional refill creator, so if you have suggestions or improvements, I'd be happy to hear them. Free for the community. Enjoy!
Attachments
Toy_Piano.rfl.zip
(49.06 MiB) Downloaded 258 times

eusti

08 Apr 2015

Thank you! Will check it out!

D.

mbfrancis

08 Apr 2015

Oh, wonderful, I love Toy Piano, thank you!
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Ayello

08 Apr 2015

Thanks for the sharing.

Rice

08 Apr 2015

Thanks for sharing, let's try this out :)

Julibee

08 Apr 2015

YAY!  It's legit, too.... 

http://phead.mu/s/gTZacvUm

I played softly, I banged, played fast and slow... yep.  A Schoenhut Toy Piano.  Nice Job. :)
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

eusti

09 Apr 2015

Julibee wrote:YAY!  It's legit, too.... 

http://phead.mu/s/gTZacvUm

I played softly, I banged, played fast and slow... yep.  A Schoenhut Toy Piano.  Nice Job. :)
Hehe! Made me laugh!

D.

TheGodOfRainbows

07 May 2016

Wow this is beautiful! Thank you for sharing your work. I LOVE toy piano and music box sampled instruments, and you did an excellent job. This thread needs a bump!

Mysterygrimms

07 May 2016

Very good refill, thanks for sharing. Soft but weighted. Very unique sound!

decibel

07 May 2016

thanks mate :)

pushedbutton

07 May 2016

@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

ncurry

07 May 2016

Thanks, everyone! It was nice to see this thread get a bump and have a few more people download the refill.

mreese80

07 May 2016

About to check this out. Thanks
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

bpmorton

07 May 2016

thanks!

DiZo

18 May 2016

Thank you ! !

selig
RE Developer

18 May 2016

These samples making another round in Reason land?!? That's great - love me some toy piano!!!
Flashback to 2013 (don't know how they compare to ncurry's version, but here it is again if anyone's interested):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/147 ... GR.rfl.zip
Selig Audio, LLC

kayfinesse

19 May 2016

Thanks!

ncurry

20 May 2016

selig wrote:These samples making another round in Reason land?!? That's great - love me some toy piano!!!
Flashback to 2013 (don't know how they compare to ncurry's version, but here it is again if anyone's interested):
Thanks, Selig! I'd be nervous going toe-to-toe with your work, but hopefully it's acceptable. Besides, you can't have too many toy piano sounds!

selig
RE Developer

20 May 2016

ncurry wrote:
selig wrote:These samples making another round in Reason land?!? That's great - love me some toy piano!!!
Thanks, Selig! I'd be nervous going toe-to-toe with your work, but hopefully it's acceptable. Besides, you can't have too many toy piano sounds!
I'm sure they're quite similar - don't recall doing anything special with mine. And IIRC, there was at least one other user doing the same at the time. Hope you don't feel I'm trying to steal your thunder here btw… ;(
Selig Audio, LLC

ncurry

20 May 2016

selig wrote:I'm sure they're quite similar - don't recall doing anything special with mine. And IIRC, there was at least one other user doing the same at the time. Hope you don't feel I'm trying to steal your thunder here btw… ;(
Not at all! It's nice to see this thread get a bump every now and again. I've always appreciated your work and the assistance you provide for the community. I've learned so much from you and the patches/articles you've created.

• Information