(Electro-Acoustic) Out Of Step

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Zac

31 Jul 2016

It's a bit different.

Aggie

31 Jul 2016

"Like" the progression and underlying chords... :)

00:52 - what happened...? I know it's called "Out of Step", but... oh, right 01:07 brings it back...
01:40 - there it is again.... not sure about that section, at all... :/

Interesting - thanks for the upload!
aggie
Adam Gill | BandLab

Zac

31 Jul 2016

Hehe, that section is the song as far as I'm concerned, it's the only bit that stands out really. Thanks anyway

guitfnky

31 Jul 2016

love this song. I've always been a huge sucker for that kind of playfulness (messing with expectations/perceptions with time signatures, etc.). it's a really fun tune.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2016

Out of step or a swap about, catchy little tune.

I think personally what would be, hmm can't think of the right word, interesting/challenge/"Fill in the blank", where it changes speed, to have have something (a sound of course) that is constant between the sections... ?

guitfnky

20 Aug 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:Out of step or a swap about, catchy little tune.

I think personally what would be, hmm can't think of the right word, interesting/challenge/"Fill in the blank", where it changes speed, to have have something (a sound of course) that is constant between the sections... ?
I think there is something constant... Zac, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the 16th notes (I think they're 16ths?) equal to the swing pattern in the chorus? so, the swing pattern is actually made up of sixteenth-note triplets. it's not actually a tempo change at all (if I'm right), so there is a constant between the sections, it's just hidden! :D

I did the same thing a number of years ago in one of my songs (programmed on an Alesis SR-16 drum machine), and actually had to sit there with our drummer (who was no slouch!) to show him that it lined up by tapping out the underlying tempo with my hand, because he would not believe there wasn't a tempo change.

I have to reiterate how much I love this song, partially for this reason, but mainly because it's just got a brilliant, beautiful melody to it. the non-tempo-change tempo change just makes it that much cooler!

Zac

21 Aug 2016

guitfnky wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:Out of step or a swap about, catchy little tune.

I think there is something constant... Zac, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the 16th notes (I think they're 16ths?) equal to the swing pattern in the chorus? so, the swing pattern is actually made up of sixteenth-note triplets. it's not actually a tempo change at all (if I'm right), so there is a constant between the sections, it's just hidden! :D

I did the same thing a number of years ago in one of my songs (programmed on an Alesis SR-16 drum machine), and actually had to sit there with our drummer (who was no slouch!) to show him that it lined up by tapping out the underlying tempo with my hand, because he would not believe there wasn't a tempo change.

I have to reiterate how much I love this song, partially for this reason, but mainly because it's just got a brilliant, beautiful melody to it. the non-tempo-change tempo change just makes it that much cooler!
Thanks for the bump :) Yes, it's all one tempo 118bpm. As for 16th's or 16th triplets I've no idea, I just wrote in what sounded right (to me at least ;) ). Here's two screenshots of that change of feel to the drums... 0m:50s
2016-08-21.png
2016-08-21.png (173.88 KiB) Viewed 965 times
This is the kick done by Zero...
2016-08-21 (1).png
2016-08-21 (1).png (179.49 KiB) Viewed 965 times
..and the rest of the drums.
Thanks for the kind words, it's always nice when someone gets what I'm doing.

guitfnky

21 Aug 2016

hard to tell for sure based on the screenshots alone, but it sounds like that's what's going on to me. regardless, it's an excellent tune. :)

JCBendock

21 Aug 2016

I really like the "out of step" part and agree that it is what makes the song. Personally I would add a small drum fill during that part to accent it.

Last Alternative

26 Aug 2016

As much as I like traditional 4/4 music I always get a kick out of swing and time changes. You did a good job on that. It kept my interest and I agree it could use some drum fills to transition the changes.
Cool stuff!
-Jace
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

• Information