New Member/New Music

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
strangers
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2017

Hello ReasonTalk,

I've been lurking in the shadows ever since buying Reason 8 last year. I come from the rock world (Are We Ghosts on Allihoopa) and have secretly been having a lot of fun creating electronic music. I've still got a lot to learn when it comes to sound design and being able to create the sounds in my head, but reverse engineering patches has been helpful so far.

Anyway, I'd like to introduce myself to the ReasonTalk board with my very first (finished) electronic song created in Reason 8.

https://soundcloud.com/officialstrangers/smoky-sunday

Audiotic

08 Mar 2017

I like the main synth and the overall old school / 80's feel to the song.
The mix could use some work especially for the drums. I feel like they're falling a bit flat, kind of like hearing it from outside the room it's playing in ;)
But I guess it kind of fits the genre...

Some crazy good work on those synth melodies though! Can't think of the video game it reminds me of...
Great job!

strangers
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2017

Audiotic wrote:I like the main synth and the overall old school / 80's feel to the song.
The mix could use some work especially for the drums. I feel like they're falling a bit flat, kind of like hearing it from outside the room it's playing in ;)
But I guess it kind of fits the genre...

Some crazy good work on those synth melodies though! Can't think of the video game it reminds me of...
Great job!
Thanks for checking out the song and leaving feedback! I'm new to the electronic world, so I can use all of the feedback in the world whether it is good or bad. I like the challenge. I have a ways to go mixing, so any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. I've done tons of reading along with lots of trial and error that I know will be a fun and never ending learning experience.

I wasn't aiming for a specific genre. It was more of creating something I'd want to hear as a listener. A handful of people have mentioned the video game vibe, which is pretty cool since it was not intended. The melodies are the easy part for me. The hard part is being able to stop creating short projects based around melodies in my head and to start focusing on finishing the ideas.

joeyluck

08 Mar 2017

Great track! Very catchy!
What synths/instruments are you using?

Just so you know, you can also embed your track in a thread by using the 'Full Editor and Preview' button and then the 'soundcloud_track' button within the editor. Just paste the url within that :puf_smile:

strangers
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote:Great track! Very catchy!
What synths/instruments are you using?

Just so you know, you can also embed your track in a thread by using the 'Full Editor and Preview' button and then the 'soundcloud_track' button within the editor. Just paste the url within that :puf_smile:

Thanks for the kind words and support to keep at the electronic world. This track is comprised of various elements created with Thor, Subtractor and Kong. I should have done a bit more layering with Kong and slapped a sub bass into the mix, but there's always next time. Always trying to look ahead to the next idea or song. Thanks for the embedding tip. I completely overlooked using that.

And a big thanks to everyone who has checked out the song. Doing my best to be a sponge with the vast knowledge available within the Reason community.

MGB

08 Mar 2017

this is great! I'm listening on headphones and the synths are so nice and wide, it's quite an immersive experience really :)

I agree with audiotic, I think the drums need to be brought through the mix quite a lot more. The tones of the drums themselves are great, they are just lost. Maybe if you feel like it, do another quick mix where you turn everything down, start with your kick and snare and then gradually build your other sounds around them.

but yeah this is awesome

Audiotic

09 Mar 2017

strangers wrote: so any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
Just revisited the track...
The drums really are the only thing, since the rest already sounds great to my (humble) ears.

I think the bassdrum needs some layering, it's gonna be hard to get more prominence out of what's already playing, since it's a fairly "boomy" sample/sound. My advice would be, go for an additional kickdrum sample, that has a lot more high end / klick to it, even if you'd never use it on its own. My experience as of late is that in the mix it might just hold those exact frequencies you want, when layering it.

The snare needs to be re-thought I feel. Don't worry about replacing or layering it somewhat drastically. Try for the frequencies your synth mix leaves open and give it more punch/prominence in the 200-400hz area.

disclaimer: Dont take my word for scripture ;)

Great stuff!

strangers
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2017

MGB wrote:this is great! I'm listening on headphones and the synths are so nice and wide, it's quite an immersive experience really :)

I agree with audiotic, I think the drums need to be brought through the mix quite a lot more. The tones of the drums themselves are great, they are just lost. Maybe if you feel like it, do another quick mix where you turn everything down, start with your kick and snare and then gradually build your other sounds around them.

but yeah this is awesome
Thanks for checking out the song and I'm glad you're liking the sound through headphones. That is reassuring to hear. During the mixing and mastering stages I was bouncing from monitors to headphones or vice versa depending on the time of day. I need to look into getting a new pair of mixing headphones since the slight bass boost in my current pair always make me uneasy. So, that's really cool you're liking the sound through headphones.

You guys have inspired me to go back to the mix and see what I can do with the drums. I believe I know where I went wrong that just might be the key to making the drums more present. If not, I'll definitely use the advice here and make it happen. Thanks for the inspiration!
Audiotic wrote:Just revisited the track...
The drums really are the only thing, since the rest already sounds great to my (humble) ears.

I think the bassdrum needs some layering, it's gonna be hard to get more prominence out of what's already playing, since it's a fairly "boomy" sample/sound. My advice would be, go for an additional kickdrum sample, that has a lot more high end / klick to it, even if you'd never use it on its own. My experience as of late is that in the mix it might just hold those exact frequencies you want, when layering it.

The snare needs to be re-thought I feel. Don't worry about replacing or layering it somewhat drastically. Try for the frequencies your synth mix leaves open and give it more punch/prominence in the 200-400hz area.

disclaimer: Dont take my word for scripture

Great stuff!
Solid advice that I'm going to take full advantage of. Your idea with the kick drum is perfect since I can relate that to having mixed distorted electric guitars. What may sound thin alone may be exactly what makes it blend in the mix. I have a ton of kicks. Should be a fun process to run through, find the perfect one and mix it in.

As for the snare, I agree. I may have shelved a bit more of the low end than needed. I'll adjust that first and replace, if needed. Thanks again for the input!

• Information