(POP?) Piece of History

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
darkmode

14 May 2017

Hi,
I've been away for quite a while. Looking forward to VST in Reason!!! Cannot wait to get working on my orchestral stuff back in my favourite DAW!

Anyway, this is my latest collaboration with my mate Sandeep. I've tried to go a little more modern this time. Let me know if it's worked. I did have to weave some strings in there but hey, can't help my orchestral leanings :D

All recorded and mixed in Reason 9.2. (I did cheat and auto-mastered it with AAMS. Still not confident with mastering yet) I've really worked hard to get the mix as best as possible. Feedback would be great on what is good and what is not. I used Emeli Sandé - Heaven as a reference mix track as this is the track that Sandeep gave me as an idea of how he wanted the track to sound/feel.
I am reasonably happy with it but would have liked the bass to pump a bit more but it seemed to get muddy whether I boosted kick/bass Eq or cut the Eq freq on other tracks. Not much luck with parallel processing either. Anyway, still learning.

Thanks again in advance for listening and any tips.

Cheers.
Last edited by darkmode on 14 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

eusti

14 May 2017

Cool track!

One thing I noticed is that the drums seem to be a bit "too nervous" for the rest of the track... That seems somewhat disconnected... I see what you're trying to do, but for me it's not quite working... Maybe having the BD more steady and picking up the the more animated rhythm with a second BD that is not quite as deep or a percussion...

In any case, I enjoyed listening to this! :)

D.

darkmode

14 May 2017

Thanks eusti, brilliant, I never thought of that, great idea. I'll go back and have a go with a second BD or the like. This type of music is way out of my comfort zone which is why I'm trying it :-)

Cheers.

P.

eusti

14 May 2017

Looking forward to hear if it works! :)

D.

• Information