Creating a 17 kilohertz sound with stock devices.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Quiloc Lim

03 Nov 2020

Hi All.

I've got a bit of a personal problem I need help with.

I've got a group of mouthy disrespectful tween-agers that have started hanging around the front of my house.

I want to create a 17 kilohertz loop, in Reason, to play on a blue tooth speaker to make them uncomfortable / move away / stop congregating in front of my place.

Has anyone here been able to make a 17 kilohertz sound from a Reason Synth?

Would anyone have any pointers on how to go about this?

I'm at work and I'll be able to check back on any advice in a few hours.

TIA..

mcatalao
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2020

Hi, you can use a free tone generator like this for example:

https://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-testsignal

LarsK

03 Nov 2020

https://we.tl/t-Yvtk04r9Ci

Subtractor played at highest possible note in piano roll.
Oscillator 1 set to Sine, Octave to 5, open up for the filter, set amp envelope accordingly.
I checked with Span, it should be at 17KHz - my ears couldn't hear it though.

Quiloc Lim

03 Nov 2020

LarsK wrote:
03 Nov 2020
https://we.tl/t-Yvtk04r9Ci

Subtractor played at highest possible note in piano roll.
Oscillator 1 set to Sine, Octave to 5, open up for the filter, set amp envelope accordingly.
I checked with Span, it should be at 17KHz - my ears couldn't hear it though.
Well...... I'm still on Reason 10, so I couldn't open the file. However, with your excellent instructions, I was able to make it.

I tested it out on my 17 year old and she hated it. :lol:

I just need to make it last for about 5 minute, export / convert to MP3 and play it off my phone through the good JBL blue tooth speaker on the front porch when the kids start hanging out. :) :thumbs_up:

Thank You.

Quiloc Lim

03 Nov 2020

mcatalao wrote:
03 Nov 2020
Hi, you can use a free tone generator like this for example:

https://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-testsignal
Thank you. :puf_smile: I'm going to play around with this and see what I can do.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

05 Nov 2020

So let's get a followup! Did you get those sons of batch off your lawn successfully!?

moneykube

06 Nov 2020

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
05 Nov 2020
So let's get a followup! Did you get those sons of batch off your lawn successfully!?
interested as well
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Noiserunner

06 Nov 2020

No stock device, but with the Tone Generator in the free "Audacity" you can produce the exact frequency in one of the four classic waveforms. You can also choose the duration and volume.
Export to any audio format.
(MacBook Pro 13", some soft- and hardware)

tumar

06 Nov 2020

Mataya wrote:
06 Nov 2020
Produce a brown note and let them shit them self.

M
... or brown noise :D

To the OP: check "17 khz" on youtube.

Biolumin3sc3nt

06 Nov 2020

Yeah the brown note... 4Hz at 140DB will oscillate the body and make anyone shit their pants. It will also make Your Eye's bleed and cause internal damage.

If You can reproduce it tho, let Me know - a typical jet taking off is 120DB fyi

The NSA and FCC and FBI will also shit themselves lol

Good luck Soldier!

Edit: I'm also very sarcastic person -- so no I don't support sonic weapons, unless it's Van Halen late at night on my neighbors

Billy+

06 Nov 2020

Quiloc Lim wrote:
03 Nov 2020
Hi All.

I've got a bit of a personal problem I need help with.

I've got a group of mouthy disrespectful tween-agers that have started hanging around the front of my house.

I want to create a 17 kilohertz loop, in Reason, to play on a blue tooth speaker to make them uncomfortable / move away / stop congregating in front of my place.

Has anyone here been able to make a 17 kilohertz sound from a Reason Synth?

Would anyone have any pointers on how to go about this?

I'm at work and I'll be able to check back on any advice in a few hours.

TIA..

Hahaha

I feel for you but there is good reason not to do this, not sure where you live but it's illegal for me to do this were I live! So check your local law before deployment & secondary your not going to get a high enough SPL to make it effective using standard consumer Bluetooth speakers.

Billy+

06 Nov 2020

IMG_2255.JPG
IMG_2255.JPG (29.19 KiB) Viewed 3799 times
Use this app

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/krk-audio ... 1453700300

Record into DAW,

But without being able to project and SPL level over the distance required to bother them your going to need to chase them while holding your speaker and which point it's probably you there running away from not the actual "mosquito device"

On a plus side I can confirm it really pis*ses my kids off :lol: but also has revealed that my partners hearing loss is greater than expected. Me and the kids tested her :o

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Ra ... tic_Device

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Nov 2020

Here in Sweden every other house has a high frequency thing with a motion sensor on their post boxes so cats and dogs don’t pee on them. I’m getting so irritated with that whistling in my ears that pretty soon I’m going to start peeing on them myself.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

06 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
06 Nov 2020
Here in Sweden every other house has a high frequency thing with a motion sensor on their post boxes so cats and dogs don’t pee on them. I’m getting so irritated with that whistling in my ears that pretty soon I’m going to start peeing on them myself.
Call the cops

In 2010, the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe unanimously adopted a recommendation calling on its 47 member states to ban the sale and use of mosquito devices.

And in its its 2016 Concluding Observations, the Committee explicitly called on the UK to ban the use of mosquito devices to disperse gatherings of young people in public spaces. By doing this, the right to freedom of movement and peaceful assembly would be better guaranteed.

Biolumin3sc3nt

07 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
06 Nov 2020
I was never aware of Sweden having an Epidemic of Cat and Dogs pee??? Amazing

selig
RE Developer

07 Nov 2020

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
07 Nov 2020
MrFigg wrote:
06 Nov 2020
That just proves the devices are working! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Ahornberg

07 Nov 2020

Make a MIDI clip and play the highest possible note with Subtractor usig the initial sound 'Bass Guitar' with 'Filter Envelope Sustain' set fully up to the value of 127.
Then on this clip do 'Bounce in Place'.
Take the generated audio clip and transpose it up by 12 semitones.
Now do 'Bounce in Place' on this audio clip.
Take the newly genereated audio clip and transpose it up by 5.20 semitones.
This should give you exact 17 kHz.

Biolumin3sc3nt

07 Nov 2020

selig wrote:
07 Nov 2020
Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
07 Nov 2020

Hahaha... Yeah I spose so!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2020

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
07 Nov 2020
selig wrote:
07 Nov 2020

Hahaha... Yeah I spose so!
Yeah, well we can judge just how well they’re working after I’ve peed on them a few times.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Quiloc Lim

07 Nov 2020

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
05 Nov 2020
HA..! Yes. The kids actually gather at the base of the stairs leading up to my place. The speaker is just above the line of sight. I just played a mp3 of the sound from my phone to the speaker. They just looked around and I heard them saying & asking each other "What is that?". They just kinda wandered off. :-D

Quiloc Lim

07 Nov 2020

Billy wrote:
06 Nov 2020
MrFigg wrote:
06 Nov 2020
Call the cops

In 2010, the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe unanimously adopted a recommendation calling on its 47 member states to ban the sale and use of mosquito devices.

And in its its 2016 Concluding Observations, the Committee explicitly called on the UK to ban the use of mosquito devices to disperse gatherings of young people in public spaces. By doing this, the right to freedom of movement and peaceful assembly would be better guaranteed.
Well, here in the US, I've gotten away with it. :-D The tweenagers don't even know what a mosquito device is, let alone know enough to figure out what to do about it. Since they were generally gathering around 5 pm. I just put the speaker out at 4:45 and waited. Once I heard them gibbering away outside, I just played the 17 Khz sound off my phone to the speaker and listened to them get confused about the sound. They just melted away from my stairs. I just hit stop on the phone. Sorted. :-)

Billy+

08 Nov 2020

Quiloc Lim wrote:
07 Nov 2020
Billy wrote:
06 Nov 2020

Call the cops

Well, here in the US, I've gotten away with it. :-D The tweenagers don't even know what a mosquito device is, let alone know enough to figure out what to do about it. Since they were generally gathering around 5 pm. I just put the speaker out at 4:45 and waited. Once I heard them gibbering away outside, I just played the 17 Khz sound off my phone to the speaker and listened to them get confused about the sound. They just melted away from my stairs. I just hit stop on the phone. Sorted. :-)

I'm surprised that it works, my kids figured they could cover there ears within seconds completely nullifying the sound and from what I can tell it's now used as a message alert tone in school so that the teacher don't hear the kids phones going off. Pesky kids :lol:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2020

Billy wrote:
08 Nov 2020
Quiloc Lim wrote:
07 Nov 2020

I'm surprised that it works, my kids figured they could cover there ears within seconds completely nullifying the sound and from what I can tell it's now used as a message alert tone in school so that the teacher don't hear the kids phones going off. Pesky kids :lol:
I guess if they're covering their ears it makes it harder to smoke crack.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information