Reason 12.2.9 Release Notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

17 Oct 2022

Loque wrote:
17 Oct 2022
I tried default and with all threads except 1 or 2 for the OS. Also tried cores only. Both performed worse than R11.
Sorry - having a hard time understanding what you said here. For the OS? You mean in Reason, not on Windows, correct? Also, you said you did NOT try 1 or 2 cores? Anyway, that sucks about performance being worse. :puf_unhappy:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mimidancer

17 Oct 2022

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
17 Oct 2022
mimidancer wrote:
13 Oct 2022

we all don't know, but you can share if ya want.
VST3/ Apple Silly Puddy : )
why are they having so many issues with vst3? The Reason Rack is a vst3. Seems like they have a grasp of vst3. just going to say vst3 one more time.

Billy+

17 Oct 2022

Maybe the problem with vst3 is getting RRP to host vst's and RE's together ;)

EnochLight

17 Oct 2022

Billy+ wrote:
17 Oct 2022
Not gonna' happen, sorry. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

17 Oct 2022

EnochLight wrote:
17 Oct 2022
Billy+ wrote:
17 Oct 2022
Not gonna' happen, sorry. ;)
Why not?

It's definitely doable,
MiK captain allows me to host vst's inside it while running in Reason ;)

which is currently the best work around for the still missing midi pass through, the only downside is that I can't use rack extensions.....

EnochLight

17 Oct 2022

Billy+ wrote:
17 Oct 2022
Why not?

It's definitely doable,

which is currently the best work around for the still missing midi pass through, the only downside is that I can't use rack extensions.....
I didn't say it wasn't doable. I just said it won't happen in RRP. That said, I'll happily eat crow if it does happen. :lol: But I would seriously not get your hopes up.

Billy+

17 Oct 2022

EnochLight wrote:
17 Oct 2022
Billy+ wrote:
17 Oct 2022
Why not?

It's definitely doable,

I didn't say it wasn't doable. I just said it won't happen in RRP. That said, I'll happily eat crow if it does happen. :lol: But I would seriously not get your hopes up.
:lol: luckily I didn't buy into R12 as my hopes have been dashed since R10, I'm mostly in Live 11 suite now - and for the force see able future, I would consider returning to Reason standalone if midi routing gets added but I don't see that happening in R12 either.

Re8et
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2022

Wow!
Just installed the update on the M1 mini 8gb, and opened the last project that was hitting DSP CPU limit.... now? TWO BARS!!!!!
On a 4K monitor in vertical orientation and 200% Zoom level.
I was at 1024 sample and 33ms latency
I went down to 64 sample, 3ms input and 1ms output latency. DSP up to 3-4 bars, and supefluid.

If you have an M1 and were unsure about upgrading to RS12... It's worth the candle!! :? :redface: :puf_bigsmile:

Amazing!!!

PS: I only have native M1 vst and AU on the M1 mini. I still use my win 10 PC and I see no point In running non-native plugins on the M1...
maybe it's just me, or I'm lucky all plugins I own have a native M1 version... the only exception solar being VcV rack, which I run on the Win 10 x86 PC anyway. I like to keep to stuff simple. I miss win XP enough by now I'm not entirely sure why people wants to complicate things further than they possibly are already... well done Devs!!!!

avasopht
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2022

mimidancer wrote:
17 Oct 2022
why are they having so many issues with vst3? The Reason Rack is a vst3. Seems like they have a grasp of vst3. just going to say vst3 one more time.
There's a huge difference between creating a VST3 instrument and hosting VST3 instruments.

For a start, you don't have to use every single VST3 feature. As a host, you do - and you also might have to handle features used incorrectly.

Pretty sure Maschine doesn't yet handle VST3, and if it does, it's only since the latest version released this month!

EnochLight

17 Oct 2022

avasopht wrote:
17 Oct 2022
Pretty sure Maschine doesn't yet handle VST3, and if it does, it's only since the latest version released this month!
Yeah but, Maschine isn't a DAW. It's just a poorly done attempt at unseating the far superior Akai MPC. ;) :lol:

Re8et
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2022

MarkTarlton wrote:
14 Oct 2022
One other weird bug that popped up late last night, I was working on a tune and my computer fell asleep, after i got home there was a static almost white noise coming through my built in souncard via headphones that has never happened, it was really loud. I'm on an older i7 mac with mojave, so it could just be outdated, but worth noting in case others experience the same thing. I haven't had any other crashes though, so that's a bonus!
white noise could be some static electricity in a bad cap, or one of the many unknown driver updates causing hw to malfunction that windows is pushing onto us. I need to power up my 2006 MacBook in order to use my Nord Modular editor and midi interface, win 10 refuses to work... my Juli@ interface also is a white noise fanjets if I try it on win 10... perfectly fine interface, 20 y old, in its old Q6600 win XP pc works like a charm...

mimidancer

18 Oct 2022

avasopht wrote:
17 Oct 2022
mimidancer wrote:
17 Oct 2022
There's a huge difference between creating a VST3 instrument and hosting VST3 instruments.

For a start, you don't have to use every single VST3 feature. As a host, you do - and you also might have to handle features used incorrectly.

I currently use VST3 in reason with the bluecatvst. SO if the blue cat team can make it work, why is Reason having so many issues? I love reason. I am not complaining. I really just want to understand.

Pepin

18 Oct 2022

mimidancer wrote:
18 Oct 2022
avasopht wrote:
17 Oct 2022

I currently use VST3 in reason with the bluecatvst. SO if the blue cat team can make it work, why is Reason having so many issues? I love reason. I am not complaining. I really just want to understand.
VST3 was probably delayed due to the Reason 12 rollout and all the unexpected work that created, not due to any particular technical challenge posed by VST3 itself.

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2022

mimidancer wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Reason can make vst3 work, as can ANY developer. And I mean ANY (professional/competent) developer.

I haven't heard about any particular issues.

The reason why it's not available yet is simple - finite time.

They could have worked on vst3 earlier, but then something else would have had to come later.

At the same time, the vst3 implementation will be tied to a particular release version, so there may be some other features it's waiting on, which may or may not also involve vst3 (e.g. some integration with vst3 midi effects and players).

Who knows what else is going on.

These things take time.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

18 Oct 2022

avasopht wrote:
18 Oct 2022
mimidancer wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Reason can make vst3 work, as can ANY developer. And I mean ANY (professional/competent) developer.

This is pretty much the most accurate take. Though it is worth noting that hosting VST3 is much more complex than being a VST3 due to the slightly blurry lines around what a plugin can and can't do (and sometimes what they do anyway even if they're not supposed to). There's even work explicitly not supporting things we don't support.

Additionally, Reason as a host is a bit different from other hosts (CV connections, VST device in the rack, how routing/automation/undo etc. works) which does mean we spend additional development time to make that experience great.

But in much more fun news: things are going really well and we're steaming ahead!

ProfessaKaos

18 Oct 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
18 Oct 2022
Additionally, Reason as a host is a bit different from other hosts (CV connections, VST device in the rack, how routing/automation/undo etc. works) which does mean we spend additional development time to make that experience great.

But in much more fun news: things are going really well and we're steaming ahead!
Awesome, news. Cheers

mcatalao
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2022

Loque wrote:
17 Oct 2022
(...)
Anybody tried the performance measuring song laying around here somewhere on RT?
I tested one called brutal. I didn't saw a big performance increase between 12.8 and 12.9.

I my system what i'm getting is that it is stabler and less affected by lower buffer settings, at the point i can play rather complex projects at 128 samples and even play live stuff on piano or ewi.

Anyway that brutal test song is running until about 4 minutes. This is a new I5 12600k build so it's one of the strongest builds in that thread (on a side note, with my current mother board i can upgrade to a I9 13900k if needed so, i have a machine for 10 years if it doesn't break!!!).

I'm talking about projects with more than 30 synths and no glitches while inputing midi. Or big 50+ tracks processed wth more stuff getting in.

EnochLight

18 Oct 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
18 Oct 2022
:thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap:

Looking forward!

mimidancer

18 Oct 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
18 Oct 2022
avasopht wrote:
18 Oct 2022

This is pretty much the most accurate take. Though it is worth noting that hosting VST3 is much more complex than being a VST3 due to the slightly blurry lines around what a plugin can and can't do (and sometimes what they do anyway even if they're not supposed to). There's even work explicitly not supporting things we don't support.

Cool. It is nice to know that there is not an issue with VST3. I'm a pediatrician. I understand that sometimes there is simply not enough time, so it becomes a matter of priority. I also understand that I am just one user and the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Spock taught me that. Thanks for taking the time to answer. Both of you.

Neo

19 Oct 2022

EnochLight wrote:
18 Oct 2022
MattiasHG wrote:
18 Oct 2022
:thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap:

Looking forward!
Good to read. :thumbup:
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Heigen5

19 Oct 2022

Good news indeed, you rock Props! :clap:

Billy+

19 Oct 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
18 Oct 2022
What vst midi support can we expect, please tell me we will at least see a basic pass through mode?

xylyx

20 Oct 2022

Billy+ wrote:
19 Oct 2022
MattiasHG wrote:
18 Oct 2022
What vst midi support can we expect, please tell me we will at least see a basic pass through mode?
I admire your persistence in hoping for an answer on this :-)

That they have avoided giving an answer to this so far, it suggests to me that it's not going to happen or will be added later - but maybe I'm just a pessimist and will be proven wrong :think:

deigm

20 Oct 2022

xylyx wrote:
20 Oct 2022
Billy+ wrote:
19 Oct 2022

That they have avoided giving an answer to this so far, it suggests to me that it's not going to happen or will be added later - but maybe I'm just a pessimist and will be proven wrong :think:
At this point it's almost comical.

I'm rooting for you Billy!

Billy+

20 Oct 2022

xylyx wrote:
20 Oct 2022
Billy+ wrote:
19 Oct 2022

Mattias has indicated that midi support is on the todo list but has never said when....

Check out the post viewtopic.php?p=537130#p537130

• Information