Reason and Authorizer no longer includes the Codemeter driver.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
-Rkn-

09 Apr 2015

Hello @ all,
my first post here and it's a call for help.
Thinking about upgrading from Reason 7.1 to 8.2 but one note in the "whats new" list irritates me and i need your advice.
"Reason and Authorizer no longer includes the Codemeter driver. Reason will run with Internet Verification (or in Demo Mode) without Codemeter. Codemeter can be downloaded separately for new users, should they need to run Reason without internet access."
When the Codemeter driver is still needed for offline use why is it not in the installer package anymore?
On the propellerhead website i found no informations that helps me or describes the upgrade process in detail with the Codemeter driver for offline use, i found only tons of marketing bla bla bla. It feels like they make everything more complicated with the next release but explain nothing, i am on board since v.2.5 and i remember well how easy it was back in the days, now it frustrates me more and more with every upgrade.
Did you guys know how the upgrade process with that missing Codemeter driver for offline use works, what i have to do and should i deauthorize my computer and deinstall Reason 7.1 first?
Did you think they would like to cancel the offline use method completely in the long term?
Thank you and best regards
-Rkn-
PS: it's a shame that they deleted the puf.

ScuzzyEye

09 Apr 2015

One problem they had on the Mac with 7.1, is the Codemeter that they were distributing got out of date, and prevented Reason from working correctly. They haven't made a statement one way or another (that I know), but I think part of them removing the requirement to use the Codemeter is that they don't want to be reliant on another company. They also don't include the Ignition Key with current versions of the software, and haven't made the Balance for a long time. So any new users would be activating their computer over the Internet, or using the log-in on every start.

So they've minimized the number of things included with new Reason installs. You get the Internet auth that works for everyone, and is completely controlled by them. If something changes in a future OS release, they don't have to wait for another company's fix.

If you still want to use the Ignition Key/Balance, or Computer auth, you can download and install the Codemeter Runtime from here: http://codemeter.com/us/service/downloads.html The Authorizer still knows what to do if it finds it, it just doesn't require it to be there.

platzangst

09 Apr 2015

That's interesting. As I recall, Codemeter's big deal was that it had never been cracked. Does this mean that Reason is now more vulnerable to piracy than before?

-Rkn-

09 Apr 2015

ScuzzyEye wrote:So any new users would be activating their computer over the Internet, or using the log-in on every start.
but if i understand correctly activating a computer over the internet needs the codemeter driver or is there another new method to activate a computer over the internet.
the other option is to login every time i start reason but that's not what i prefer.

Jagwah

09 Apr 2015

platzangst wrote:That's interesting. As I recall, Codemeter's big deal was that it had never been cracked. Does this mean that Reason is now more vulnerable to piracy than before?
I hope not! I don't understand what this removal of the Codemeter business means at all, will see if someone can explain...

tronam

09 Apr 2015

It's only necessary for offline authorization now. If you do a clean install of Reason, Internet login will be the only available option to launch it:

Clicking the "More Options" link will load a Propellerhead page with a link to download the Codemeter installer so the computer can be authorized for offline use:

Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

devilfish

09 Apr 2015

It is more and more interesting for Hackers, because of the RE´s Shop.
Imagine H²O or Air create a Virtual Licence Server, which you can easy install on your Computer.
Than You have the complete program incl. ALL RE for free^^
And it will not be necessary to change the Reason Program Code ..
Reason will also remain ROCK STABLE (as it is) because only the license Server will be emulated :D

I bet it will come soon..

ScuzzyEye

09 Apr 2015

-Rkn- wrote:but if i understand correctly activating a computer over the internet needs the codemeter driver or is there another new method to activate a computer over the internet.
the other option is to login every time i start reason but that's not what i prefer.
That's right, if you don't want to log in on every start (with the saved password it isn't so bad now), you'll have to install Codemeter, and authorize your computer.

-Rkn-

09 Apr 2015

thank you guys, now i understand.

my concern with online verification at each start of Reason is that it's all depends on their servers, what when these servers are offline, they are broken or hacked or whatever, we all know that they already had some server issues in the past, mostly not for a long time but such a dependence feels uncomfortable to me. maybe i am just a bit too paranoid but anyway i hope they don't cancel the offline use method in the future.

another question about the upgrade, should i deauthorize my computer and deinstall Reason 7.1 first?

EnochLight

09 Apr 2015

-Rkn- wrote:another question about the upgrade, should i deauthorize my computer and deinstall Reason 7.1 first?
It's not necessary to deauthorize your computer before installing 8.2, especially if you want to keep 7.1 installed (and authorized for offline use). You can run the two on the same machine, as Reason 8.2 installs in a different folder (you just can't run them at the same time). Just be sure to delete the FSB and Orkerster in your 7.1 folder *AFTER* you install 8.2 and create aliases pointing to the new 8.2 "Soundbanks" folder. Also, I believe 7.1 and 8.2 will share your Preferences file.

You can also cut/paste the FSB/Orkerster refill to your 8.2's "Soundbanks" folder before launching 8.2 for the first time, and it will avoid you having to download them all over again (Reason will prompt you to download if it doesn't detect them at launch).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

09 Apr 2015

devilfish wrote:It is more and more interesting for Hackers, because of the RE´s Shop.
Imagine H²O or Air create a Virtual Licence Server, which you can easy install on your Computer.
Than You have the complete program incl. ALL RE for free^^
And it will not be necessary to change the Reason Program Code ..
Reason will also remain ROCK STABLE (as it is) because only the license Server will be emulated :D

I bet it will come soon..

I'll bet your wrong. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

-Rkn-

10 Apr 2015

EnochLight wrote:It's not necessary to deauthorize your computer before installing 8.2, especially if you want to keep 7.1 installed (and authorized for offline use). You can run the two on the same machine, as Reason 8.2 installs in a different folder (you just can't run them at the same time). Just be sure to delete the FSB and Orkerster in your 7.1 folder *AFTER* you install 8.2 and create aliases pointing to the new 8.2 "Soundbanks" folder. Also, I believe 7.1 and 8.2 will share your Preferences file. You can also cut/paste the FSB/Orkerster refill to your 8.2's "Soundbanks" folder before launching 8.2 for the first time, and it will avoid you having to download them all over again (Reason will prompt you to download if it doesn't detect them at launch).
Thank you very much. :thumbup:

• Information