[Poll] So, are you getting Reason 11 Standard, Suite or not upgrading?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Are you upgrading to Reason 11 Standard or Suite?

11 Standard
33%
11 Suite
27%
I'm not upgrading
40%

Total votes: 218
platzangst

27 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
27 Aug 2019

Exactly, leaves a sour taste in the mouth.
Weeeelll, I don't know if I'd go that far in my case. I mean, it certainly may affect how I'll buy REs and/or upgrade in the future, but it's not like I'm upset with PH/RS. I mean, REs go on sale just in general, and I'm not going to gripe much if an RE goes on sale one or two months after I bought it. That's the risk you take living in a world where things can go on sale. (One or two days, maybe a week, I might gripe.) And having bought the REs, I've had the ability to use them far ahead of this upgrade's release date, so that counts for something, I guess. But knowing there might be a lumping of REs in the Suite upgrades now, that adds a whole new economic option to consider, one rewarded by patience.

stevan

27 Aug 2019

This new Scenic Hybrid Instrument should be part of Reason Standard Update, not Suite.
I have already paid every other instrument in that Suite bundle. So I would purchase it again.
Otherwise I pay 129.-€ for that update and maybe 99.-€ for the Scenic Hybrid Instrument.
It's really a bad joke ...

VariableX

27 Aug 2019

platzangst wrote:
27 Aug 2019
fretshot7 wrote:
27 Aug 2019

Exactly, leaves a sour taste in the mouth.
Weeeelll, I don't know if I'd go that far in my case. I mean, it certainly may affect how I'll buy REs and/or upgrade in the future, but it's not like I'm upset with PH/RS. I mean, REs go on sale just in general, and I'm not going to gripe much if an RE goes on sale one or two months after I bought it. That's the risk you take living in a world where things can go on sale. (One or two days, maybe a week, I might gripe.) And having bought the REs, I've had the ability to use them far ahead of this upgrade's release date, so that counts for something, I guess. But knowing there might be a lumping of REs in the Suite upgrades now, that adds a whole new economic option to consider, one rewarded by patience.
100% Agree with your sentiments with sales.
However actively pushing REs right before they know they are going in a suite, is a pretty unethical sales practice in my opinion.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
27 Aug 2019

However actively pushing REs right before they know they are going in a suite, is a pretty unethical sales practice in my opinion.
Yep! I'm just glad they weren't REs I particularly wanted. Feels sort of like when they put RDK and REB (which I bought on day 1 despite already having the Refills) into the Rig shortly after release. That in addition to the fact that it's exactly only 2 months to the day that they released the Piano RE.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

VariableX

27 Aug 2019

MrFigg wrote:
27 Aug 2019
fretshot7 wrote:
27 Aug 2019

Yep! I'm just glad they weren't REs I particularly wanted. Feels sort of like when they put RDK and REB (which I bought on day 1 despite already having the Refills) into the Rig shortly after release.

It's not even clever. Short term gain for the bean counters. Treat your customers with respect and they will stay loyal customers for a very long time. Continually mug them off and you will lose them forever.

They can fix it, all they need to do is have some kind of pricing system depending on what you allready own, they might find they even make more money, who knows.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
27 Aug 2019
MrFigg wrote:
27 Aug 2019

Yep! I'm just glad they weren't REs I particularly wanted. Feels sort of like when they put RDK and REB (which I bought on day 1 despite already having the Refills) into the Rig shortly after release.

It's not even clever. Short term gain for the bean counters. Treat your customers with respect and they will stay loyal customers for a very long time. Continually mug them off and you will lose them forever.

They can fix it, all they need to do is have some kind of pricing system depending on what you allready own, they might find they even make more money, who knows.
You can take Rob Papen as an example. Their eXplorer 5 bundle costs €499. Price is a tiered system depending on how many of their products you already own. I got it for €99 because I owned four which weren't even VSTs. They were REs which I got in a Propellerheads Rig. Send a picture they said and we'll send you a discount code. Since buying it they've added in 4 or 5 new products for free including the Vecto VST. I know Synapse have enquired over the possibility of doing a complete your bundle as they know many people already own a good number of their REs. I don't however see this type of thing happening any time soon. But hey, I've been wrong before.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

VariableX

27 Aug 2019

MrFigg wrote:
27 Aug 2019
fretshot7 wrote:
27 Aug 2019

You can take Rob Papen as an example. Their eXplorer 5 bundle costs €499. Price is a tiered system depending on how many of their products you already own. I got it for €99 because I owned four which weren't even VSTs. They were REs which I got in a Propellerheads Rig. Send a picture they said and we'll send you a discount code. Since buying it they've added in 4 or 5 new products for free including the Vecto VST. I know Synapse have enquired over the possibility of doing a complete your bundle as they know many people already own a good number of their REs. I don't however see this type of thing happening any time soon. But hey, I've been wrong before.
yes i was thinking of this too.
I would be better doing this ( i have the code for $99 too) its a really good deal and now I need VSTs for my new DAW

Jagwah

27 Aug 2019

It's a no for me and it's also a reminder that I'm fine where I am, I don't need to spend more money. If the next upgrade is just a few features again it will just reiterate this fact for me. I don't need anything anymore, really wow me and I'll get back on board, but this is a big no from me.

I guess now we're going to have half the people on R11 and half the people on R10 WHICH IS REALLY GREAT! >:(

craven

27 Aug 2019

stevan wrote:
27 Aug 2019
This new Scenic Hybrid Instrument should be part of Reason Standard Update, not Suite.
I have already paid every other instrument in that Suite bundle. So I would purchase it again.
Otherwise I pay 129.-€ for that update and maybe 99.-€ for the Scenic Hybrid Instrument.
It's really a bad joke ...
oh man... I was really looking forward to 11 and having the new instrument as part of the standard upgrade or even better: a clip launcher / sequencer overhaul would have been so nice. I hope point updates will bring something like freeze and track folders. Reason is my only DAW and I was really excited. I wonder if the new scenic instrument will work with R10.
:ugeek:

VariableX

27 Aug 2019

Jagwah wrote:
27 Aug 2019
It's a no for me and it's also a reminder that I'm fine where I am, I don't need to spend more money. If the next upgrade is just a few features again it will just reiterate this fact for me. I don't need anything anymore, really wow me and I'll get back on board, but this is a big no from me.

I guess now we're going to have half the people on R11 and half the people on R10 WHICH IS REALLY GREAT! >:(
But I feel they don't care about any of these people. For me they have proved as much. They only care about the new people they are hoping to get because of their Vst, then once they have paid up, they won't care about them either.

VariableX

27 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Jagwah wrote:
27 Aug 2019

But I feel they don't care about any of these people. For me they have proved as much. They only care about the new people they are hoping to get because of their Vst, then once they have paid up, they won't care about them either.
sorry check that they will only care about wringing as much unethical dollars out of all of us they can, (in my opinion ofcourse)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

Reading through the comments from threads relating to this upgrade, you can easily get the impresssion that the majority of people are really unhappy with what Reason 11 has to offer.
Yet according to this poll 60-70% are willing to upgrade. Hmmm...
They must be doing some things right at least? Right?

No upgrade is gonna please everyone. That's just how it is. I'm not saying some of the criticism isn't valid. It is. But it must be exhausting to expect to get your particular upgrade wishes to come through every time.
When Reason 8 was released it did pretty much nothing for me. That's ok. I skipped that one. 9 and 10 was pretty good for me, especially when you include the point updates. 11 is alright, not amazing by any means, but not terrible either. There are some features I'll most likely use all the time. And if I use those features all the time for pretty much every project over a full years time £129 really isn't that big of a deal.

I know you aren't supposed to look at this way, but I do anyway. When I pay my €129 I also pay for the upcoming point updates. Imo they're usually just as good, sometimes even better then the initial new Reason upgrade. (The last optimization was one of the best improvements for me). So if I'm gonna pay for an update anyway, why not get the new features as right away? Yeah I know it's a bit of a gamble, but I'm ok with that.

stevan

27 Aug 2019

BTW, the brand name/logo change and it's explaining is total nonsense in my opinion. The absolute majority of the users are so "connected" with the name Propellerheads. Nobody would change a well known name , wich had a reputation for their product (or whatever),
it has simply a worth, maybe the same as the whole company itself. In the "good old" days, Ernst wrote a blog about that, comparing it with f.e. IKEA . Imagine they would change their name ? Good idea ? Don't think so, but whatever - they'll have their reasons . Only thing I know is with the new branding we'll see a new policy and R11 is the proof ...

EdGrip

27 Aug 2019

It should be obvious, but maybe it might help to look at Suite as analogous to Ableton's Suite.
When Wavetable came out (for example), Ableton made a big deal of it. You can buy it separately if you own Live Standard. But it comes as part of Suite, and that's how most people will get it.

guitfnky

27 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
27 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019

my concern is that as VST users pressure Props to add those features, they necessarily will have to entertain those requests and weigh them against requests from those of us who use Reason as a first-line DAW.
And why shouldn't they? They are customers too. Are you saying folks who use only Reason should take priority? I think you might be surprised at how many folks use other DAWs alongside Reason, rewired or not.
I’m not suggesting they shouldn’t. at this point, that cat is out of the bag. I’m saying the direction Props has taken will split the user base, which means less focus on the DAW side of things. as a user of the Reason DAW, that’s concerning.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

nbot

27 Aug 2019

One more question - do you know if the grace period for Reason 10 purchase applies also to software purchased from 3rd party resellers?

vondersulzburg

27 Aug 2019

For me as a hobby user, the suite seems to be a little bit a farce. I bought a lot of the stuff now included in the suite. Only with sales but over all it is more as if I had waited until now. I use them just here and there because of lack of time.

It is not the money. But last time I skipped the update to Live10 suite for 190€ (Mai19) because Reason update seems to be near.

Conclusion at the moment is: Do not buy any RE from Propellerhead as good as it may be, because of the possibility it will be part of the next Major Suite update and I have to pay it a second time.

I still hope on a voucher for those having x% of the Suite with x% discount on the Price difference between Reason and Suite.

This will honor the old users.

One question still left is if someone has all the Suite content. Will he then get Suite for free?

Looking forward

Michael
MacBook Air 512GB SSD 16GB RAM, Reason 11 Suite, LogicProX, FL-Studio, Live10Suite

CaptainBlack

27 Aug 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Aug 2019
When I pay my €129 I also pay for the upcoming point updates. Imo they're usually just as good, sometimes even better then the initial new Reason upgrade. (The last optimization was one of the best improvements for me). So if I'm gonna pay for an update anyway, why not get the new features as right away? Yeah I know it's a bit of a gamble, but I'm ok with that.
This is fair enough. I will upgrade if a point update adds something more exciting. But little point in shelling out for two effects when I already have a vast array of REs and VSTs to call upon.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

CaptainBlack wrote:
27 Aug 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Aug 2019
When I pay my €129 I also pay for the upcoming point updates. Imo they're usually just as good, sometimes even better then the initial new Reason upgrade. (The last optimization was one of the best improvements for me). So if I'm gonna pay for an update anyway, why not get the new features as right away? Yeah I know it's a bit of a gamble, but I'm ok with that.
This is fair enough. I will upgrade if a point update adds something more exciting. But little point in shelling out for two effects when I already have a vast array of REs and VSTs to call upon.
Yep if the upgrade doesn't offer anything useful to you then I agree, it's better to wait and see what happens.

For myself I know the SSL masterbus compressor device and some of the workflow features will be quite useful. The 2 new effects will be two new little toys to try out. They might become favorites or they might just collect dust, we'll see.

The_G

27 Aug 2019

I'm going to upgrade as soon as AU support is confirmed.

I love Reason but R9 murders my laptop CPU. By contrast I can run 3x as many plugins in Logic at the same buffer setting and get stable performance. So it's just not practical for me to use Reason as my main DAW these days. I do miss the workflow and a number of modules, though, so being able to load the rack as a plugin within Logic is huge for me.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

Yonatan

27 Aug 2019

As a Reason user nr 1 and having Logic as a 2nd option, I am in no hurry over this 11 number. Do like the aditions regarding sequencer midi editing, but have to see far more things in point releases to upgrade from R10. It should at least be $30 less for upgrading from latest version, $99, and 129 for all others, or let us get $30 rebate or something. There is too much no loyalty. It is sadly not only in this business but same things in telecom and so on, at least in Sweden, but maybe it is allover, the end of genuine good will in business.

Data_Shrine

27 Aug 2019

I'm skipping R11, I need Rewire, and one day if I don't, then I may update.
I mean, other DAWs support Rewire (which was made by Props.. err.. Reason Studios / Generic Name 101/ good luck googling that) and then they drop it first themselves. Reminds me of Apple (which dropped Nvidia/CUDA support in Mojave, and kicked my graphic card in the balls). I know, nobody cares about Rewire (right?), but I like using it a lot. It was the only way I was still using Reason.

It also hit me, I will not buy any other RE. That's really the end of it (or I want it to be). I'll be on the lookout for VST versions, if I need something, even if pricer. Maybe keep my money, and look for a good, new HW mixer down the line.

No HDPI graphics update ? Still no downsampling on export ? 5 tiny "worklow" improvements ? A suite version that is a cheap bundle of RE... as in all other RE bundles in the shop ?
=/ It's a pass for me.

hurricane
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

Another benefit towards upgrading for those of use who use another DAW - being able to use those REs who's VST equivalents aren't offered as a free crossgrade. From my experience, McDSP, D16 Group, and AudioRealism don't give you the VST versions for free, you have to pay. So now screw you you stingy bastards cuz I can use your REs inside Logic now and I don't need to buy your stinking AUs. I'll be using Futzbox, Redominator, and Devastor 2 a lot more now.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

loopeydoug

27 Aug 2019

I'm(probably) getting the suite. I didn't update to 10 and I only have 2 of the REs included in the suite(Polar and Rotor). I've mentally reframed the upgrade as a jump to 10 with a huge deal on a rig bundle. So, I'm looking forward to Reason running better on my machine(I don't care to insist that VST implementation slowed down Reason on my machine but it sure feels like it did, even though I don't use VSTs), having access to a bunch of new devices(Grain, Parsec, Radical Keys, and Complex-1 are big draws), and a handful of the sequencer improvements that 10 and 11 bring.

• Information