[Poll] So, are you getting Reason 11 Standard, Suite or not upgrading?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Are you upgrading to Reason 11 Standard or Suite?

11 Standard
33%
11 Suite
27%
I'm not upgrading
40%

Total votes: 218
guitfnky

26 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Boombastix wrote:
26 Aug 2019
About the "Reason Rack Plugin" thingy, can I use my combinators in it that I have stacked with VST2's and RE's?
Can I route midi inside the Reason Rack Plugin?

Please, plzzzzz, tell me they did not screw it up so we cannot use VSTs inside the Reason Rack Plugin...…..
Uh-oh. They have stated that there the plugin will not host VSTs. It's somewhere in this mess of threads.
Midi is "omni" so there is only one "channel" of midi into the VST. Of course that can trigger a player device which then triggers other stuff. There is currently no midi out of the plugin.
I mentioned earlier that there was going to be a divergence of feature requests, one set coming from other DAW users using Reason as a VST, and another set coming from users of Reason as a DAW. there are already two things on the list of requests that will undoubtedly come from the former: this is the first—there’s going to be pressure to be able to use VSTs within the Reason Rack VST; the other is going to be a push to get MIDI out of the Reason Rack VST so it can be used by VSTs in the host DAW.

neither of those would benefit users of Reason as a DAW.

my concern is that as VST users pressure Props to add those features, they necessarily will have to entertain those requests and weigh them against requests from those of us who use Reason as a first-line DAW.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

ast3rix

26 Aug 2019

I'm going for the suite upgrade with reluctance. I no longer use the full daw for production. I use Ableton Live 10 as my production DAW. I really wish I could just upgrade to the vst with the new rack extensions and still add rack extensions as I'd like to in the future. I am not going back to using Reason as my primary nope not happening buddy. I am in love with the warp features and I have grown to love clip view. I wish I could have all those arrangement tools from Reasons sequencer in Ableton's arrangement view thou. Remembering a boatload of key commands is a pain in the butt. I have a push 2 and I still find myself having to revert to using key commands. There's just no perfect DAW out that just does all the things.... and has all the tools and mouse commands without brain damage.

CaptainBlack

26 Aug 2019

Most underwhelming full price update since 8.0. If you don't use another DAW, it's two new effects and a couple of sequencer features. Whoop-dee-doo! Plus in making Reason a VST3 plug-in (which ironically Reason can't run), you might as well say that Reason will never be a 'professional' DAW but now it might work in one at least. i'll leave it, thanks.

Oquasec

26 Aug 2019

11 standard
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

reggie1979

26 Aug 2019

CaptainBlack wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Most underwhelming full price update since 8.0. If you don't use another DAW, it's two new effects and a couple of sequencer features. Whoop-dee-doo! Plus in making Reason a VST3 plug-in (which ironically Reason can't run), you might as well say that Reason will never be a 'professional' DAW but now it might work in one at least. i'll leave it, thanks.
Don't disagree. And I hate the name change!!!!!!!!!!!!

kuhliloach

26 Aug 2019

Prop store is still unable to calculate upgrade prices based on previously owned items and that's a big bummer. And this might sound odd but I would have kept the Propellerhead name and changed the name of Reason to something that could be a unique search query.

hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

I am really looking forward to using Bitley's refills in Logic, as well as the refills from Pinknoise and Sonic Flavours. For a longtime user like myself, I have TONS of custom go-to patches and combis I can now use in Logic. I'm going through my Reason library right now getting things ready for the Reason Studios Reason Rack Plugin. It's very exciting. The Reason + Logic combo is going to be soooo sweeeet.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

cqd

26 Aug 2019

Any word on AAX?

Will it work in Pro tools?..I'll pretty much upgrade immediately if it does..

Lempface

26 Aug 2019

cqd wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Any word on AAX?

Will it work in Pro tools?..I'll pretty much upgrade immediately if it does..
It's not ruled out but also not announced, only VST3 and AU official with VST3 in Sept and AU before end of year.
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

VIVIsect

26 Aug 2019

Since it has been confirmed that the Rack VST won't support MIDI out (at least not yet), meaning that you can't use your Player devices to control VSTs in another DAW, I won't be upgrading anytime soon. I have no interest in the new devices, and the sequencer updates are nice, but not $129 nice.

mitchlastima

26 Aug 2019

I wonder when will they finally realize that Reason's workflow features on the sequencer is so lacking? Still no punch in record, no folder tracks, no slice to quantize audio, etc.... Dont get me wrong I'm still gonna upgrade. Just felt that this update is not really for those Reason standalone users.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

I might keep my wallet shut until they allow for VSTs and REs to be mixed in the Reason Plugin.

It just blows my mind that they omitted the Reason Plugin VST hosting, when mixing and matching REs with VSTs was the whole deal with Reason 9.5 and onwards.
I mean, if I have to rebuild my combinators inside another DAW with multi Reason Plugins+VSTs, it will be just as user unfriendly as just trying to Rewire or Midi Clock sync. PLEASE get it right this time, not 75%, 80% or 95% - DO IT 100% CORRECT ! :roll: :roll: :roll:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

ShawnG

26 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019
there’s going to be pressure to be able to use VSTs within the Reason Rack VST; the other is going to be a push to get MIDI out of the Reason Rack VST so it can be used by VSTs in the host DAW.

my concern is that as VST users pressure Props to add those features, they necessarily will have to entertain those requests and weigh them against requests from those of us who use Reason as a first-line DAW.
If they fix MIDI out in the VST plugin, it will have SO MANY benefits for reason as a DAW. The reason there won't be MIDI out on the plugin is because MIDI has been simplified in the Reason rack forever. everything is omni, so normal MIDI routing is impossible. for them to fix it in the plugin will mean that they have finally implemented a robust MIDI path in the rack which is sorely needed by the DAW itself. then Reason can use MIDI VST's and Multi Timbral plugins, and have way more midi routing options within Reason. There was a reason Props originally did it this way, which was trying to make sure musicians didn't have to worry about MIDI ports and channels and stuff, but that has held the DAW back.

The VST omission is probably way more to do with not wanting the enormous support nightmare that it would be, trying to deal with 2 pieces of non-in house pieces of software at one time, I doubt they will ever allow it, but it would be easy enough to implement, but hard for them to support.

Last Alternative

26 Aug 2019

For me, I want the new sequencer features and the new devices are cool but have zero use for the Reason VST so it’s not worth the price.. gonna wait and see what Propellerh.. REASON STUDIOS.......... does next.

In the meantime I’m researching Logic with serious consideration at this point.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

guitfnky

26 Aug 2019

ShawnG wrote:
26 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019
there’s going to be pressure to be able to use VSTs within the Reason Rack VST; the other is going to be a push to get MIDI out of the Reason Rack VST so it can be used by VSTs in the host DAW.

If they fix MIDI out in the VST plugin, it will have SO MANY benefits for reason as a DAW.
how will implementing MIDI out from the Reason VST (into Ableton as an example) benefit users of the Reason DAW? the Ableton user would benefit, by being able to drive, say Serum, in Ableton with their favorite Player RE, but I don’t see how that would benefit anyone using Reason as a DAW.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Goriila Texas

26 Aug 2019

When I did use Reason it was in Rewire with Studio One which worked like a charm. I could push play in Reason to start sequencing because it was in perfect sync with S1. User since 2.5 for the first time not upgrading nothing justifies $129 imo. If I ever use Reason it will be in Rewire mode because I like the power of having both DAWs running at my fingertips. Studio One is an incredible host for rewire that's makes it painless when using both.

I give Reason 11 a flat out F from what I've seen. I thought the new people would bankroll PH with more coders or personnel to get things moving in a faster pace but I was wrong. When you see what Presonus has done with S1 in less years than Reason this company just doesn't seem to get it. Record failure,Balance failure,Allihoopla failure REX loop format failure and Re, all half-ass done failures by a company that's just don't get it or have what it takes in this DAW war imo. I'm not wasting one more dollar with this company that I believe will eventually fold and go out of business. They have to look at Reason users as full blown Fools imo because they've made money but refuse to spend the necessary money to get features done swiftly. They understand they have a following of users that will pay to upgrade even with minimal feature request implemented. I use to think the people at PH were stupid and get frustrated until I realized they playing us the whole time and laughing all the way to the bank. They're using the 48 laws of power on blind users who don't recognize a con game when they see it. They know exactly what they need to do to be a top notch DAW but don't do it and give you a couple of instruments and zoom.

Props whole business strategy is a con game.

Zerosity

27 Aug 2019

I didn't vote because I'm undecided if I'll upgrade, but if I do upgrade it will be Suite. This release has me so conflicted right now.

boingy

27 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019

And why shouldn't they? They are customers too. Are you saying folks who use only Reason should take priority? I think you might be surprised at how many folks use other DAWs alongside Reason, rewired or not.

tony10000

27 Aug 2019

I think the DAW as a VST will benefit Reason developers and also provide a steady stream of income for Reason Studios. Of course, its success will depend on implementation. I predict at some point the Reason rack VST may become a standalone product but that remains to be seen.

As I own a ton of REs and players, the Suite is not an attractive option to me. However, the ability to use my REs in Ableton and FL Studio is certainly alluring.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
27 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019

And why shouldn't they? They are customers too. Are you saying folks who use only Reason should take priority? I think you might be surprised at how many folks use other DAWs alongside Reason, rewired or not.
A reasonable guess is that there are code synergies, so if we keep the pressure up to fix "Reason Rack VST" with VST hosting and functional/useful midi routing, then it is probably fairly easy to get "Reason Full" with the same feature set. Everyone wins! Reason Rack VST users win, Reason Full users win, those who plan to use both (me me me!) win, PH themselves win - users happy and buying v11. It is so obvious - but will they…??? :cry: :shock: :cry: (can't believe we already talk about to fixing the Reason Rack VST one month before it gets released :cry: :roll: :cry: )

Loque

27 Aug 2019

The current result of the poll is quite similar to the one from V10. 2/3 will upgrade, 1/3 will not. Nothing changed in that matter.

I think PH made the right decision for Reason and the user base will grow and Reason will be much more recognized by the "pros" and they can now see how powerful it is. Sooner or later they gonna start Reason before they start their other DAW, making some quick beats, bass and line and they gonna stay in Reason, since they can do all in here...At THIS point Reason Studio MUST deliver enough to make them stay in Reason.

Everything meets PHs vision and promises - helping ppl making music even better and easier.
Reason12, Win10

platzangst

27 Aug 2019

As I already own a great many of the Suite-included REs, and am less interested in the ones I don't, I'll probably upgrade to the Standard 11. But this does make me reconsider whether I'll be buying future - uh - Reason Studios REs in the future, or at least HOW I'll buy them. Because if this is the path of the future, I may wait on buying any new PH - uh - RS REs until the next version of Reason, just let them build up for a while and then plunk down a fraction of the total cost by upgrading to the Suite. I mean, if I'd known they were going to do this, I might well have waited on a lot of these REs.

VariableX

27 Aug 2019

platzangst wrote:
27 Aug 2019
As I already own a great many of the Suite-included REs, and am less interested in the ones I don't, I'll probably upgrade to the Standard 11. But this does make me reconsider whether I'll be buying future - uh - Reason Studios REs in the future, or at least HOW I'll buy them. Because if this is the path of the future, I may wait on buying any new PH - uh - RS REs until the next version of Reason, just let them build up for a while and then plunk down a fraction of the total cost by upgrading to the Suite. I mean, if I'd known they were going to do this, I might well have waited on a lot of these REs.
Exactly, leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

I am sooo undecided. I have been eyeing this thing for €29 euro bucks. http://energy-xt.com/rewire-vst.html
Or just use the 10.4 Rewire into a host that has it. I mean what are the pro/cons v11 vs. v10.4?

Function.......................Reason Rack VST....................Good 'ol Rewire
Send midi to host...............…...No..........................................….Yes
Send audio to host.................Yes..........................................….Yes
Use VST w RE............…......…...No...........................................….No
Use as FX in host......…......…..Yes...........................................….No
Cost……………………………………….$129...…………………………………………..$0

Is that correct, anything important missing?

Ermitage

27 Aug 2019

I'll upgrade when they introduce high-res support. So sometime in 2025, probably.

• Information