Design a synth UI

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ochenk

15 Jul 2015

Nirude wrote:Is there an OchenK-logo?
Edit: mean, I want to put a logo to my design.. if there is a logo.
Nope, no Ochen K logo. I usually just add it in whatever logotype I use for the device logo.

EnochLight

15 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:Since posting the pre-alpha video five days ago, I've implemented two suggestions that were made here and on Facebook (a persistent oscillator mixer and unison on each oscillator), so I'm certainly interested in suggestions and willing to incorporate them if I think they fit with my concept for this synth. (But of course, as always, no guarantees.)
Wouldn't that be three suggestions implemented? ;)

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 95#p212595

A few hours later...

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 00#p212600

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 12#p212612

Also, I feel it looked better when you had the shaded gradients colored in deeper, as in the first videos. Right now, according to the unison demo video the shading from the axis is too light IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Laser Rot

15 Jul 2015

Last edited by Laser Rot on 15 Jul 2015, edited 2 times in total.
Nominated for Best R&B, Funk or Soul Album 2022 San Diego Music Awards
#22 Laser Rot - FunkTonic

Audio: https://laserrot.me
Visual: https://joshmccann.art

Puckboy2000

15 Jul 2015

Laser Rot wrote:Image

:thumbs_up:
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

boobytrap

15 Jul 2015

Modified !
111.jpg
111.jpg (155.63 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

EnochLight

15 Jul 2015

Laser Rot wrote:Image
Your image is showing up as a broken Dropbox link...
joeyluck wrote:I like it with no shading and solid 'color.'
At least darker.. the way it is currently, I can hardly see the shading anymore. :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Laser Rot

15 Jul 2015

Hopefully this link isn't broken
Nominated for Best R&B, Funk or Soul Album 2022 San Diego Music Awards
#22 Laser Rot - FunkTonic

Audio: https://laserrot.me
Visual: https://joshmccann.art

Nirude

16 Jul 2015

So like, without further ado, I give you, the one and only, but with heavy photoshoppin´:
aega.jpg
aega.jpg (356.76 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
Please Gentlemen, hold your orgasms :)
> right click image > view image - to see it a bit bigger
3d man.

riemac

16 Jul 2015

I like the layout and design from Nirude very much!
The layout is a lot clearer and the proportions are better.
I also like, that it is flatter.

eXode

16 Jul 2015

Nirude wrote:So like, without further ado, I give you, the one and only, but with heavy photoshoppin´:

I like most of it but there are is one thing I noticed that doesn't work for me.

The LFO and Filter sections needs to switch place with each other (i.e like a mirror switch). I think a synth should be somewhat easy to follow in terms of signal flow and imho it makes more sense to have the filters right below the oscillators. It would similarly also group envelope and LFO modulation together on the right side. Other than that I like it! :)

Lizard

16 Jul 2015

My design I tried to not deviate to greatly from the original design. Add a little color/texture here and there but nothing too drastic. My interpretation may be slightly different than others but I felt as though Ochen wanted a silk screen image that overlays. Not a redesign as his synth is already pretty solidly constructed. That said... he also said no rules are applicable. :) Some good stuff submitted so far. I look forward to others.

jfrichards

16 Jul 2015

A few design suggestions:
Name - OCEANIC
Brand name - OK
Colors - all shades of blue, like the ocean, maybe a little less Fisher-Price than below
Motif - molded plastic, maybe just a little less Fisher-Price (tiny bit more squared)
Waveforms - pale blue
Attachments
OK design.jpg
OK design.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1726 times
Last edited by jfrichards on 16 Jul 2015, edited 1 time in total.

boobytrap

16 Jul 2015

Lizard wrote:My design I tried to not deviate to greatly from the original design. Add a little color/texture here and there but nothing too drastic. My interpretation may be slightly different than others but I felt as though Ochen wanted a silk screen image that overlays. Not a redesign as his synth is already pretty solidly constructed. That said... he also said no rules are applicable. :) Some good stuff submitted so far. I look forward to others.

Same Make ! Same Model ! New Paint.
i suggest new name for your Design " Chameleon RE "
and also free logo
chameleon.jpg
chameleon.jpg (46.26 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Lizard

16 Jul 2015

boobytrap wrote: Same Make ! Same Model ! New Paint.
i suggest new name for your Design " Chameleon RE "
Ahhhh!!!! Original! ..... or not.... Seems someone stole your idea a few years ago. ;)

Joking aside.... it kept me busy for a few hours. I looked at it as a skinning project. I hope to see a lot of other ideas. Redesigns and skinning.

jfrichards

16 Jul 2015

A little more work on Oceanic:
Attachments
Oceanic blue.jpg
Oceanic blue.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 1586 times
Last edited by jfrichards on 16 Jul 2015, edited 2 times in total.

jfrichards

16 Jul 2015

Hey Ochen, your high-impact molded plastic design sure is skeuomorphic. All the medical devices I recently worked on look that way, as opposed to the older Reason-style HP oscilloscopes and heart monitors. It takes the Reason rack in a new direction, still realistic, but 2014 vs 1982.

edit: I guess technically, the Reason look is based on the analog synths of the 60's and the Ochen look is similar to the futurist plastics of the 80's, but I'm thinking of more consumer designs, not so much the world of electronic music.
Attachments
oceanic in 3 rack.png
oceanic in 3 rack.png (4.46 MiB) Viewed 1599 times
Last edited by jfrichards on 17 Jul 2015, edited 3 times in total.

pjeudy

16 Jul 2015

Nirude wrote:So like, without further ado, I give you, the one and only, but with heavy photoshoppin´:
aega.jpg
I really like this design ! Other then adding eXode suggestions this is the one I like most!
Can I suggest some other color option ? maybe bring back the orinal off white Access virus polar color ? that should really make the contrast of the red LED stand out. Maybe render another 2 more color.... I'm not against the color that's there, I'm simply curious to see what impact some other colors might have.
maybe even a duo or tri tone color. Good job on your first layout !
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Nirude

16 Jul 2015

Thanks Pjeudy and others, I will change it tomorrow like eXode suggested, I will also do a second color variation.
I can do also a third like Pjeudy suggested.
Here is the same but not so much photoshopping and in 3k, right-click view image to see bigger.
Attachments
aega-3k.jpg
aega-3k.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1661 times
3d man.

joeyluck

16 Jul 2015

riemac wrote:I like the layout and design from Nirude very much!
The layout is a lot clearer and the proportions are better.
I also like, that it is flatter.
I like it too, but find it looks a bit too sterile.
The layout and design by Ochen makes it unique and would allow it to stand out in the shop.
I feel that if you are to remove the uniqueness by totally reimagining it, something else should be brought to the table to make it unique.
Not sure what that would be...

On another note, if you're going for a flat looking synth, take a look at Polysix and Mono/Poly for texturing.

But I like the look of the original better, even if just left white.
Maybe a happy medium could be found?

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

16 Jul 2015

aega.jpg
I know you have a lot of upvotes, but that would fail on a number of levels, no widgets within 3mm of the sides.

(all osc and LFO buttons, mod wheel and the stuff below it)

selig
RE Developer

16 Jul 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:
aega.jpg
I know you have a lot of upvotes, but that would fail on a number of levels, no widgets within 3mm of the sides.

More than that, it would fail "plausibility" since you can't have a control on the rack ears of any "real world" device. Leave 20 mm on each side to cover this issue and you'll be safe. Also, don't forget you'll ultimately need to design the "folded" view as well, fwiw. ;)
That being said, this is my favorite so far!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

16 Jul 2015

selig wrote:

More than that, it would fail "plausibility" since you can't have a control on the rack ears of any "real world" device. [/quote]

Hardly more than that, it's exactly the same as that: it's what I was pointing out! ;)

jfrichards

16 Jul 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:...Giles: More than that, it would fail "plausibility" since you can't have a control on the rack ears of any "real world" device. Matt: Hardly more than that, it's exactly the same as that: it's what I was pointing out! ;)
Great minds think alike. But I'm still loving Ochen's drastically different molded plastic design. So many synths look alike. Ochen is also taking a big step forward in making advanced modulations simple to access. Really looking forward to running a combinator of 8 of these off one Shape. :shock: :shock:

selig
RE Developer

16 Jul 2015

selig wrote:
JiggeryPokery wrote:
selig wrote:

More than that, it would fail "plausibility" since you can't have a control on the rack ears of any "real world" device.
Hardly more than that, it's exactly the same as that: it's what I was pointing out! ;)
OK Matt, if you say so - though I think we are about 17 mm away from saying EXACTLY the same thing here! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information