Design a synth UI

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
satyr32

12 Jul 2015

Here is my first draft, i did not change the layout or anything. I also came up with a name suggestion, MOLD 4, referring to the functionality as also to the molded plastic design.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rez4oors08jto ... 1.png?dl=0
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Nirude

12 Jul 2015

OchenK - Is this synths height locked? And also, when RE-developers make synths for reason, are there some templates like "choose your synth size 1U-2U-3U?" I´ve been working on this and just got a crazy idea if it was like 2U-size...

edit: sorry - is it now like 4U? - if I make it 3U.
3d man.

ochenk

12 Jul 2015

I'm not sure what you mean by "height locked," but the height of all devices in Reason have to be some multiple of of 1U. So the ID8 is a 1U device. Redrum is a 5U device. Subtractor is a 4U device. And so on. Right now, this synth is a 8U device. The largest a device can be is 9U. And REs can't change their height. So for example, Thor changes between a 2U and 9U device. But that's not yet possible with REs. Does that answer the question?

Otherwise, if you're asking whether you're stuck with a 8U device in your design for this synth, no, not at all. Like I said, there are no rules. :)

Nirude

12 Jul 2015

thanks for the reply. yep I calculated wrong, I thought it was only 4U but calculations showed me it was 8 :) I started to make it 5U.
3d man.

ochenk

13 Jul 2015

For anyone working on this, I added an oscillator mixer section next to the oscillator banks. (This was a feature request from the Rack Extensionists FB page.) Here's a video testing the new mixer section:

EnochLight

13 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:For anyone working on this, I added an oscillator mixer section next to the oscillator banks. (This was a feature request from the Rack Extensionists FB page.) Here's a video testing the new mixer section:
@Ochen,

I'm not sure if you're open to suggestions this late in the development, but I think it would look a hell of lot better if you colored in part of the wave displays (all of them) with at least half of the display having some sort of gradient, so it looked like this instead:

Or even a slight gradient like this:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Exowildebeest

13 Jul 2015

EnochLight wrote:
ochenk wrote:For anyone working on this, I added an oscillator mixer section next to the oscillator banks. (This was a feature request from the Rack Extensionists FB page.) Here's a video testing the new mixer section:
@Ochen,

I'm not sure if you're open to suggestions this late in the development, but I think it would look a hell of lot better if you colored in part of the wave displays (all of them) with at least half of the display having some sort of gradient, so it looked like this instead:

Or even a slight gradient like this:

SDK says no.

:redface:

eusti

13 Jul 2015

But could they be green? Then it would fit the theme of an old style lab instrument... :)

D.

ochenk

13 Jul 2015

Yeah, the SDK doesn't handle gradients yet, but you can have semi-transparent filled sections, so something like this is pretty easy: Image

But as with the rest of the device, I haven't done the final design, which includes the design of the displays. As folks are working on designs, I hope they play around with the display designs as well.

ochenk

13 Jul 2015

Alright, happy? ;)

eusti

13 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:Alright, happy? ;)

Looks cool. Did you try it the other way around? Where the more intense "color" is closer to the waveform and not the axis?

D.

EnochLight

13 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:Yeah, the SDK doesn't handle gradients yet, but you can have semi-transparent filled sections, so something like this is pretty easy: Image

But as with the rest of the device, I haven't done the final design, which includes the design of the displays. As folks are working on designs, I hope they play around with the display designs as well.
Oh wow - the semi-transparent filled sections demonstrated above looks a lot better, IMHO. Please do this!!!

Cheers
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pjeudy

13 Jul 2015

Great suggestion Enoch !!!!!!!!!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

ochenk

13 Jul 2015

eusti wrote:Looks cool. Did you try it the other way around? Where the more intense "color" is closer to the waveform and not the axis?
Yep, works fine:

So the take-away is that if you're playing around with the designs of the displays, you can include gradients like this.

EnochLight

13 Jul 2015

Hah - nice! Yes, very much sir - excellent! That said, the envelope below would look equally as cool with it filled in. Again, see this:

Have you considered maybe doing it in a different color? The silver is cool for the Oscillator display, but perhaps the Envelope display in a different color?

eusti

13 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:
eusti wrote:Looks cool. Did you try it the other way around? Where the more intense "color" is closer to the waveform and not the axis?
Yep, works fine:

So the take-away is that if you're playing around with the designs of the displays, you can include gradients like this.
Great! I like this one better! Not that that means anything! ;)

D.

ochenk

13 Jul 2015

EnochLight wrote:Have you considered maybe doing it in a different color? The silver is cool for the Oscillator display, but perhaps the Envelope display in a different color?
I haven't designed this synth yet. None of the colors are picked. They're only white because that's my default when programming. So I haven't considered anything, or ruled anything out.

ScuzzyEye

13 Jul 2015

When you said this, I was nodding.
ochenk wrote:Yeah, the SDK doesn't handle gradients yet...
But then you did this.
ochenk wrote:Yep, works fine:
What the heck man? You stumped me as to how you pulled this off. And it looks great!

EnochLight

13 Jul 2015

I gotta' hand it to Ochen - the man can work wonders with the SDK. Major props to you sir - I only made this suggestion several hours ago, and in that time you took it and made it almost exactly how I would have pictured it. Freak'n sweet, man.

Really looking forward to how this pans out. Please do consider various colors for the various displays, but doing the axis-gradients on all of them. It really knocks it out the park visually, and I find it very inspirational to look at.

Think Xfer Records Serum GUI, totally!

pjeudy

13 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Have you considered maybe doing it in a different color? The silver is cool for the Oscillator display, but perhaps the Envelope display in a different color?
I haven't designed this synth yet. None of the colors are picked. They're only white because that's my default when programming. So I haven't considered anything, or ruled anything out.
So then there is still a chance of making it a certain color then ? Enoch suggestion is making this Instrument look more modern...can I ask Ochenk do you use reference Instruments in the VST worlds ? Like we use reference of other Artist music. Specially the new or popular vst devices !

I want developers devices to be of there designs but...even if the limitation of the propellerhead SDK is an Issue..one could get inspired by parts of another devices UI

Can't wait to see what Nirude is cooking up !
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

EnochLight

13 Jul 2015

pjeudy wrote:
ochenk wrote:
So then there is still a chance of making it a certain color then ? Enoch suggestion is making this Instrument look more modern...can I ask Ochenk do you use reference Instruments in the VST worlds ? Like we use reference of other Artist music. Specially the new or popular vst devices !

I want developers devices to be of there designs but...even if the limitation of the propellerhead SDK is an Issue..one could get inspired by parts of another devices UI

Can't wait to see what Nirude is cooking up !
Thanks man. And what's awesome is that he demonstrated in just a matter of hours that the waveform axis-gradients can be achieved, and that's 90% of Serum's GUI done right there. The rest is pretty simple, if you take a look at other Reason devices presently.

Can't wait to see what the community comes up with!

Vyckeil

13 Jul 2015

This thread is becoming more awesome with each post! Keep the suggestions flowing!

esselfortium

13 Jul 2015

Ochen, that last shot with the subtle gradients looks great!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

joeyluck

13 Jul 2015

ochenk wrote:
Yep, works fine:

Those who are submitting designs better do so quickly! I'm pretty sold on the way it is looking as is :)

I envision this being something like an Audiomatic look. Just audition different colors for the overall look—if white isn't exciting enough. I don't feel it needs anything more than that.

And I find the white on the display to be nice and allows it to be different. For instance, I don't like the look of the GQ-7.
I associate colors such as green in a spectrum to represent levels. So unless you are showing us a gradient which includes yellow and red in the peaks, please stay away from green :)

joeyluck

13 Jul 2015

I do like having subtle lines/grids on the displays. Gives you a point of reference when programming.

• Information