Redrum/Kong Question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
graeme75

21 Dec 2017

Hi

Just wondering if there is a more efficient way to do this. I have a sample (clap.wav) that has a reverb tail on the sample. What I wanted to do is have it play on beat 2 without the reverb tail and on beat 4 with the reverb tail. I can do this quite easily on the sequencer using the audio sample and shortening the sample on beat 2.

I prefer to sequence drums rather than putting the audio samples directly into the sequencer, so what I want to know is how to achieve the same in redrum/kong. Do i have to have 2 copies of the sample and load each in a redrum slot/kong pad and then edit one of the samples and save? Is it possible to do just on the same kong pad/redrum slot?

Cheers
Graeme

motuscott

21 Dec 2017

If you use a dry sample, Kong could supply the verb to one of the two instances. ReDrum also can have two dedicated send effects.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

antic604

21 Dec 2017

Not sure if this would work (I'm new to Reason :)), but maybe reduce the Decay for this pad to zero and then just control how much of the sample is played with the length of the note in a clip (long note = with reverb, short note = without reverb)? Alternatively you could add a silent sample to some other pad and add both pads to the same 'mute pad group' - this way if you play the 2nd pad right after the snare it would cut the sound of the snare.

Gorgon

21 Dec 2017

antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2017
Not sure if this would work (I'm new to Reason :)), but maybe reduce the Decay for this pad to zero and then just control how much of the sample is played with the length of the note in a clip (long note = with reverb, short note = without reverb)?
Use 2 pads, and turn down the decay on the 2nd pad to your liking.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

antic604

21 Dec 2017

Gorgon wrote:
21 Dec 2017
antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2017
Not sure if this would work (I'm new to Reason :)), but maybe reduce the Decay for this pad to zero and then just control how much of the sample is played with the length of the note in a clip (long note = with reverb, short note = without reverb)?
That's obvious, but from the OP it seemed like he preferred using single pad.

Gorgon

21 Dec 2017

antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2017
Gorgon wrote:
21 Dec 2017

That's obvious, but from the OP it seemed like he preferred using single pad.
Nah, he just asked if it was possible. But you can't set the decay for each sample in one slot individually so you obviously need 2 pads.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

antic604

21 Dec 2017

Gorgon wrote:
21 Dec 2017
Nah, he just asked if it was possible. But you can't set the decay for each sample in one slot individually so you obviously need 2 pads.
I know. That's why I said to set Decay to zero (and preferably to square in NN-Nano) and control how much of the sample is played with the length of the note.

EdGrip

21 Dec 2017

antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2017
I've just tried it and I don't think you can make Kong's NN-Nano respond to note length. It's one-shot only, whole sample or nothin'. You could automate decay per note - do it once and then copy/paste.
You could use a NN-19 or NN-XT for drums, and then you could do it with simple note length.
The NN samplers are a bit fiddly to program but they do some stuff that Kong can't. (Just as Kong does things they can't - tool for the job, and all that.)
Last edited by EdGrip on 21 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Reasonable man

21 Dec 2017

If you create another note lane and have two clap note lanes . One clap note lane without reverb on beat 2 (no need to adda beat 4) another note lane with clap that only has a reverb tail on beat 4 (no need to have a beat 2 for his note lane.). If your happy with your clap sample on for eg lets say pad 4 ..... right click and copy that sample on to pad 5 and use a seperate output (output 3&4 for eg) and connect that output to your rv7000 or whatever. This is the quickest way.
Also i think often the best way in kong to shorten a sample is to highllight the pad its on and then click the 'edit sample' button on kong and move the end point of that sample back a bit ( to taste).

antic604

21 Dec 2017

EdGrip wrote:
21 Dec 2017
antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2017
I've just tried it and I don't think you can make Kong's NN-Nano respond to note length. It's one-shot only, whole sample or nothin'. You could automate decay per note - do it once and then copy/paste.
You could use a NN-19 or NN-XT for drums, and then you could do it with simple note length.
The NN samplers are a bit fiddly to program but they do some stuff that Kong can't. (Just as Kong does things they can't - tool for the job, and all that.)
Interesting, because reading this I'd think it should work:

decay.png
decay.png (105.01 KiB) Viewed 1889 times

but then again, I'm new to Reason...

EdGrip

21 Dec 2017

Good. I was wondering when you'd spot that. ;)

Wickline

21 Dec 2017

You can also use the velocity to decay knob to dial in how much you want and use different velocities for each sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

antic604

21 Dec 2017

EdGrip wrote:
21 Dec 2017
What do you mean? That it should work, but doesn't? If that's the case, was a bug report filed on this?

EdGrip

21 Dec 2017

antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2017
EdGrip wrote:
21 Dec 2017
What do you mean? That it should work, but doesn't? If that's the case, was a bug report filed on this?
No, it totally works. I tried it. I always assumed that switch just changed the decay shape, but it also enables note length, as you say.

• Information