Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

28 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
28 Aug 2019
I’m all for voicing disappointment (obviously 😂), but conspiracy theories and unfounded assumptions don’t do anyone any good.
Alas, this seems to be par for the course these days. It's sad.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

28 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
28 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
28 Aug 2019
some seem to think the best justification for not adding requested features is “it keeps Reason unique”, which makes no sense. then the argument gets even more bizarre: “what’s wrong with having to use workarounds?”

it’s like if you went to buy a car, and you love most everything about it, but that brand only sells cars with windows you have to hand crank to get open. and when you rightly ask “WTF?”, the sales guy says you should be happy you have to manually crank them open.

super weird.
Because manually hand winding windows is a quirky thing now, retro lol!

I've made the same arguments. Mine was boiling water in a saucepan on a stove when there's this clever invention called a kettle.

Who would boil water on a stove rather than buy a kettle in 2019. Doing things the hard way just for the sake of it.

Then the argument "Will your tea taste better when you used a kettle?" = "does x and y feature make your music better."
that’s a really good analogy. I also don’t have a kettle, and feel personally attacked by this, but then, I live in the states where none of us have figured these things out yet. 😂
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Creativemind

28 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Creativemind wrote:
28 Aug 2019

Because manually hand winding windows is a quirky thing now, retro lol!

I've made the same arguments. Mine was boiling water in a saucepan on a stove when there's this clever invention called a kettle.

Who would boil water on a stove rather than buy a kettle in 2019. Doing things the hard way just for the sake of it.

Then the argument "Will your tea taste better when you used a kettle?" = "does x and y feature make your music better."
that’s a really good analogy. I also don’t have a kettle, and feel personally attacked by this, but then, I live in the states where none of us have figured these things out yet. 😂
Some teabags just taste better straight out the box as well. Lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

INFEKT

28 Aug 2019

Just got the beta, so excited!

DougalDarkly

28 Aug 2019

Deleted
Last edited by DougalDarkly on 09 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

INFEKT

28 Aug 2019

The VST rack is really amazing. Everything is automatable in Ableton just like that! Move a knob and it shows up in the channel automations! You can also use the FX version of the Rack VST to apply any Reason effects anywhere in your chain. This is a long time dream come true!! Finally I can use those amazing Reverb plugins, Malström and even Grain in Live! Seriously stoked.

EnochLight

28 Aug 2019

INFEKT wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Everything is automatable in Ableton just like that! Move a knob and it shows up in the channel automations! You can also use the FX version of the Rack VST to apply any Reason effects anywhere in your chain.
How do you know this?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PitW.

28 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Aug 2019
INFEKT wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Everything is automatable in Ableton just like that! Move a knob and it shows up in the channel automations! You can also use the FX version of the Rack VST to apply any Reason effects anywhere in your chain.
How do you know this?

Why shouldn't he if he has the beta version?

stratatonic

28 Aug 2019

tronam wrote:
28 Aug 2019
I keep thinking back to Reason 8 which showcased a drag'n'drop browser pane as its tentpole feature, coupled with a few rudimentary sequencer enhancements like resizing a note from both sides. Is R11 really more underwhelming than that?
From a stand-alone Reason user's perspective, it seems so. Especially since you already have the channel strip FX.
R11 looks great for a user of another DAW - especially if you have any version of Reason kicking about.

I wonder how this company's Reason 11 Suite anchoring strategy will pan out. ie: From a stand-alone Reason user's perspective, the 129 seems like a tougher sell than R8. However, for an extra 120, you can get 16 more REs - or -$7.50 a RE
Or if you want to delude yourself another way: $249 gets you 16 REs plus the 5 you get with the upgrade, so you spend 16.5 bucks per device, plus your handful of workflow improvements.
Of course, you really should be actually wanting and using all the devices for that amount of money - and not have them just wasting space on your drive.

Of course, some folks will spend the extra money for the Deal. Which looks what this company is banking on for standalone Reason users on this anemic upgrade.
Last edited by stratatonic on 28 Aug 2019, edited 2 times in total.

WongoTheSane

28 Aug 2019

INFEKT wrote:
28 Aug 2019
The VST rack is really amazing. Everything is automatable in Ableton just like that! Move a knob and it shows up in the channel automations! You can also use the FX version of the Rack VST to apply any Reason effects anywhere in your chain. This is a long time dream come true!! Finally I can use those amazing Reverb plugins, Malström and even Grain in Live! Seriously stoked.
Please do not share details about the beta here. Keep that to the beta forums. Thanks!

musicman691

28 Aug 2019

Reading this thread I've a feeling a deja vu all over again - it's just like what people talked about and is happening with Plugin Alliance and their subscription system. Trying to raise capital on the backs of loyal supporters - sucks.

Know what also sucks? R11 is vst3 but hosts vst 2 plugins - no mention of being able to host vst 3 plugins.
Jack
MacPro mid-2012 3.46 GHz hexcore Westmere 48 gig ram
OSX 10.13.6
PT2021.6, Reason 8.3
QAPLA!

musicman691

28 Aug 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
28 Aug 2019
INFEKT wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Please do not share details about the beta here. Keep that to the beta forums. Thanks!
Touchy aren't we?
Besides there's no beta forum listed in the main forum page. Or is that only for beta testers and not for the general public to see? If so that ain't cool.
Last edited by musicman691 on 28 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Jack
MacPro mid-2012 3.46 GHz hexcore Westmere 48 gig ram
OSX 10.13.6
PT2021.6, Reason 8.3
QAPLA!

WongoTheSane

28 Aug 2019

musicman691 wrote:
28 Aug 2019
WongoTheSane wrote:
28 Aug 2019

Touchy aren't we?
Yes.

Creativemind

28 Aug 2019

DougalDarkly wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Creativemind wrote:
28 Aug 2019

I like this analogy!

Who would buy a saucepan and expect it to be a kettle at some point in the future?

Who would constantly lobby the makers of the saucepan to 'make it more like a kettle'?

Why wouldn't these people just buy a f*cking kettle?

It's a fun analogy!
The point I was making is, no, the tea wouldn't taste any different would it but would just be a hell of a lot easier and quicker using a kettle.

Anyway, some good features in Reason 11. Let's see how they fair but still a lot missing.
Last edited by Creativemind on 28 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

antic604

28 Aug 2019

Danilo Villanova wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Wow, users of other DAWs must be very happy! So nice of PH to care so much about them. As a Reason user myself I'm considering selling my license and get Bitwig
That's ALMOST good idea. Definitely get Bitwig, but also upgrade to Reason 11 to have access to all the native stuff + the REs you bought. I tried Grain in Bitwig yesterday and it's an awesome combo :o :mrgreen:

electricthing

28 Aug 2019

I find the Reason Rack VST an interesting move.
I can imagine that those who just use Reason are not amused.
But how would they have felt when Reason Rack VST would have been introduced as a separate product from Reason?
I think a lot of complaints would be made about that also.

I expect that 'Props' know that and from Reason 12 /13 on the Rack VST will be a separate product from Reason.
Reason DAW
Reason Rack VST

DougalDarkly

28 Aug 2019

Deleted
Last edited by DougalDarkly on 09 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

motuscott

28 Aug 2019

I boil my water in a kettle on a gas stove, OG style
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

guitfnky

28 Aug 2019

motuscott wrote:
28 Aug 2019
for a truly authentic water boiling experience, you need to boil it in a stone jug over a forest fire or lava
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

antic604

28 Aug 2019

pongasoft wrote:
26 Aug 2019
* I think it will also clearly show the low rez quality when it is going to be side by side with other plugins which hopefully will help in pushing this feature request up :)
That's really not a problem - most established VSTs (Waves, NI, Soundtoys) still don't offer scaling and/or high-res GUI versions.

KEVMOVE02

28 Aug 2019

Well, it sure good to know that changing the channel didn't change the plethora of complains. Don't get me wrong: I am greatly amused (and a bit impressed) with the consistency of complaining about Reason, forsaking reason. Surprisingly, I missed any threads gloating about the final barrier to Reason joining the proper VST community. Yeah, now we have a DAW just like everyone else! Joking aside, I'm excited that this move will likely result in a whole lot more music (commercial and otherwise) will contain something from the Reason Rack. We might even see it become a prominent part of the more successful recording studios... maybe not, but at least people won't feel like they have to justify using Reason to all their Pro Tool friends.

EnochLight

28 Aug 2019

PitW. wrote:
28 Aug 2019
EnochLight wrote:
28 Aug 2019

How do you know this?

Why shouldn't he if he has the beta version?
If he does, then he's posting in the wrong forum.
KEVMOVE02 wrote:
28 Aug 2019
but at least people won't feel like they have to justify using Reason to all their Pro Tool friends.
Real friends don't let their friends use Pro Tools. :puf_bigsmile:

reggie1979

28 Aug 2019

musicman691 wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Reading this thread I've a feeling a deja vu all over again - it's just like what people talked about and is happening with Plugin Alliance and their subscription system. Trying to raise capital on the backs of loyal supporters - sucks.

Know what also sucks? R11 is vst3 but hosts vst 2 plugins - no mention of being able to host vst 3 plugins.
My feeling is that they are working on VST3 but just haven't worked it out yet.

reggie1979

28 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Aug 2019

Real friends don't let their friends use Pro Tools. :puf_bigsmile:
:lol:

Creativemind

28 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
28 Aug 2019
motuscott wrote:
28 Aug 2019
for a truly authentic water boiling experience, you need to boil it in a stone jug over a forest fire or lava
Or you could just take a really top notch thermos flask? :lol:

• Information