What happened to the Kitchen?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
decoder

12 Jul 2020

I know there have been some volatile subjects discussed there in the past but did it get cancelled?

selig
RE Developer

12 Jul 2020

decoder wrote:
12 Jul 2020
I know there have been some volatile subjects discussed there in the past but did it get cancelled?
Was that asked ironically, since you're posting IN the Kitchen… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

12 Jul 2020

The Kitchen is still here. I just moved this to the Kitchen. Can you see it?

I did want to try something out though—I made an adjustment so that the Kitchen is not viewable by guests, but still accessible by registered users.

joeyluck

12 Jul 2020

selig wrote:
12 Jul 2020
decoder wrote:
12 Jul 2020
This was posted in Reason General before I moved it. I'm wondering if decoder just didn't see the Kitchen forum because of not being logged in?

aeox
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2020

joeyluck wrote:
12 Jul 2020

I did want to try something out though—I made an adjustment so that the Kitchen is not viewable by guests, but still accessible by registered users.
Great idea! Wouldn't want this area of the forum to scare too many people away :D

joeyluck

12 Jul 2020

aeox wrote:
12 Jul 2020
joeyluck wrote:
12 Jul 2020

Great idea! Wouldn't want this area of the forum to scare too many people away :D
Yeah it's extraneous stuff—unrelated to Reason, and sometimes it can get ugly. You gotta be a part of the club to see our garbage lol. That's my thinking at least :puf_bigsmile:

guitfnky

12 Jul 2020

👍🏼 good idea
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

stratatonic

12 Jul 2020

joeyluck wrote:
12 Jul 2020
selig wrote:
12 Jul 2020

This was posted in Reason General before I moved it. I'm wondering if decoder just didn't see the Kitchen forum because of not being logged in?
Poor decoder posted it in General, logged out, it was moved, and now he can't find out what the hell happened, as his thread has been vaporized from the forum he posted it in, and, being logged out, can't see the Kitchen threads either :lol:

joeyluck

12 Jul 2020

stratatonic wrote:
12 Jul 2020
joeyluck wrote:
12 Jul 2020

Poor decoder posted it in General, logged out, it was moved, and now he can't find out what the hell happened, as his thread has been vaporized from the forum he posted it in, and, being logged out, can't see the Kitchen threads either :lol:
Oh boy what have I done :lol:

Well decoder was quoted, so I hope that does the trick lol

decoder

12 Jul 2020

:lol: I guess the joke's on me.

Still a bit odd to hide the kitchen... What if I get hungry?

joeyluck

12 Jul 2020

decoder wrote:
12 Jul 2020

Lol!

So do you typically read the forum when not logged in? I always login because I prefer to view 'New posts' which requires logging in...

Honestly I'd also love for the kitchen to not display in New posts either, so people who come here for Reason stuff and want to browse New posts can get just Reason related stuff. But I'm not sure if that's possible and if the forum at large would appreciate that.

EdwardKiy

13 Jul 2020

should make a drive-through/lite version for creepers and stalkers, where only the original post to each thread is displayed. Or maybe have a trigger-phrase that makes all the replies onward invisible, like "I wish reason..." or "how come propellerheads...!?", or "why is this forum...?". Which will probably leave us with only that original post anyway.

NDKay

13 Jul 2020

decoder wrote:
12 Jul 2020

When i did not see the kitchen i thought of opening a topic too. I would have wrote something like:

Oh dear, i just came in and wanted to get a coffee to read trough the forum.... i walk down to the kitchen, but where once was a door now just is a wall. It looks like there has never been a door. But i could swear i got many coffees from behind that "wall". The world is getting crazier everyday. :crazy:

So yeah, glad that it´s not gone... you just need to "press the secret switch to get to the Cave" :lol:
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

selig
RE Developer

13 Jul 2020

joeyluck wrote:
12 Jul 2020
selig wrote:
12 Jul 2020

Ahh, guess I posted too soon then – sorry, nothing to see here… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

bxbrkrz

13 Jul 2020

757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Lokey

13 Jul 2020

Attachments
41MRdo3H6mL._AC_UX395_.jpg
41MRdo3H6mL._AC_UX395_.jpg (19.66 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
fl mobile

joeyluck

13 Jul 2020

NDKay wrote:
13 Jul 2020
decoder wrote:
12 Jul 2020

When i did not see the kitchen i thought of opening a topic too. I would have wrote something like:

Oh dear, i just came in and wanted to get a coffee to read trough the forum.... i walk down to the kitchen, but where once was a door now just is a wall. It looks like there has never been a door. But i could swear i got many coffees from behind that "wall". The world is getting crazier everyday. :crazy:

So yeah, glad that it´s not gone... you just need to "press the secret switch to get to the Cave" :lol:
Lol do that many members read the forum without being logged in? Aside from being able to view New posts, I like to see what threads I've read/visited since their latest comments. I can't see any of that without being logged in. Trying to read and get caught up without being logged in would drive me crazy.

NDKay

13 Jul 2020

joeyluck wrote:
13 Jul 2020
Lol do that many members read the forum without being logged in? Aside from being able to view New posts, I like to see what threads I've read/visited since their latest comments. I can't see any of that without being logged in. Trying to read and get caught up without being logged in would drive me crazy.
You are a moderator ( now more admin?!?), "it´s kind of your job to be up to date" ;-)

I was lurking this forum for years before i made an account and even after that mostly had been a "spectator". So i´m much more used to the "outside-view". And i dont login on the phone. ( At least atm)

Because the kitchen was present to "outsiders" there was no need to login for me.
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

joeyluck

13 Jul 2020

NDKay wrote:
13 Jul 2020
joeyluck wrote:
13 Jul 2020
You are a moderator ( now more admin?!?), "it´s kind of your job to be up to date" ;-)

I was lurking this forum for years before i made an account and even after that mostly had been a "spectator". So i´m much more used to the "outside-view". And i dont login on the phone. ( At least atm)

Because the kitchen was present to "outsiders" there was no need to login for me.
Yes I have admin permissions for the forum, but Kenni is still the "super duper admin" :)

This was one of the many ideas we had bounced around in the past and thought we'd try it.

decoder

13 Jul 2020

To answer your question, I do lurk about often without logging in when I'm using my phone.
Its usually a quick peek here and there while I'm at work...
Thanks for the update Joey, appreciate you taking the time to answer my inquiry!

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

17 Jul 2020

joeyluck wrote:
13 Jul 2020
NDKay wrote:
13 Jul 2020

I rarely log in on desktop, and never log in via mobile. If not posting there's really no need to log on, as "new posts" doesn't really add anything if you're just browsing: any thread you're interested in you know has new replies because it's bumped.

Your argument there makes no sense: You can't see new posts without logging in? Eh? But you're logged in, you just said so, so you can see the new posts in all channels. Why does your browsing behaviour that make hiding a forum more useful to someone who doesn't want to log in? Because they can't see any posts. Please explain the logic behind your rationale.

And so what if more threads tend to get locked. (I'm not entirely convinced threads get substantially more locked in there that don't anywhere else - are you going to hide General too? Now there's a challenge for your statisiticians in your mod channel! Which is the most locked channel?!). It's not being hidden because of offensive posts, because that's the job of moderators to remove offensive posts, except where offensive posts are quoted by the odd moderator telling the OP not to make offensive posts. It's not about hiding posts from robot scouring either, as people can make their own decisions about what they post. You don't post anything in public you don't want people to read. A dumb opinion is still dumb when someone is logged in.

Sorry joey, I know the king is dead and long live the king! and all that. You want to make your mark and shake things up a bit, that's understandable. But hiding things based solely on your use case is not a good idea, as the Kitchen is the one place things like tributes go, and why would you want hide those from the public record? I don't get it. It risks just making the site appear insular and uncaring to those who never get accounts.

Please undo.
Last edited by JiggeryPokery on 17 Jul 2020, edited 1 time in total.

DaveyG

17 Jul 2020

JiggeryPokery wrote:
17 Jul 2020

Please undo.
I second that.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2020

I think the kitchen and all other categories/threads should be open for everyone to see, whether you're logged in or not. Yes there are some weird or "bad" threads every now and then, but I'd rather keep things as open as possible. Some of the kitchen threads are way more fun than some of the "normal Reason" threads. The recent meme thread for example. So my vote goes to keeping things like they were before.

motuscott

17 Jul 2020

Are masks required in the Kitchen?
cos Authorizer wrote me a permissions slip
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

joeyluck

17 Jul 2020

JiggeryPokery wrote:
17 Jul 2020
joeyluck wrote:
13 Jul 2020

I rarely log in on desktop, and never log in via mobile. If not posting there's really no need to log on, as "new posts" doesn't really add anything if you're just browsing: any thread you're interested in you know has new replies because it's bumped.

Your argument there makes no sense: You can't see new posts without logging in? Eh? But you're logged in, you just said so, so you can see the new posts in all channels. Why does your browsing behaviour that make hiding a forum more useful to someone who doesn't want to log in? Because they can't see any posts. Please explain the logic behind your rationale.

And so what if more threads tend to get locked. (I'm not entirely convinced threads get substantially more locked in there that don't anywhere else - are you going to hide General too? Now there's a challenge for your statisiticians in your mod channel! Which is the most locked channel?!). It's not being hidden because of offensive posts, because that's the job of moderators to remove offensive posts, except where offensive posts are quoted by the odd moderator telling the OP not to make offensive posts. It's not about hiding posts from robot scouring either, as people can make their own decisions about what they post. You don't post anything in public you don't want people to read. A dumb opinion is still dumb when someone is logged in.

Sorry joey, I know the king is dead and long live the king! and all that. You want to make your mark and shake things up a bit, that's understandable. But hiding things based solely on your use case is not a good idea, as the Kitchen is the one place things like tributes go, and why would you want hide those from the public record? I don't get it. It risks just making the site appear insular and uncaring to those who never get accounts.

Please undo.
Points noted and Kitchen permissions changed back.

Again it was something that had come up in the past and I just wanted to try it out. And yes, I really didn't know that many people viewed the forum when not logged in, and that's ok. For me personally, it's not just about New Posts or seeing the topics bumped by the newest posts, but I also I like to see what I've read (showing bold or not, showing a dot next to a comment or not). We'll definitely poll for changes in the future. You can see some people in this forum sided with the change...

The conversation we've had in the past is how we have allowed things in the Kitchen that are technically against our rules. We've been very lax on that—such as topics and the level of the arguments. It's almost become a place of, "Take it out to Kitchen..." And you're right, there's plenty of good stuff in the Kitchen that is simply off-topic of Reason or just doesn't quite fit in Reason General, and we get that.

And there is no king dead. Dad is just letting the kids borrow the keys to the car lol. All of this stuff can be changed and reverted. So I'm just going through the old list of suggestions and trying things out.

• Information