Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
hfw

27 Jan 2021

Those saying its no issue as it is only an option. Listen to the wording. It may be true, but what are their long term intentions? With plus you will always have up to date reason, no worrying yadda yadda. I find this so insulting to my intelligence. Ive been using since v1 and literally have always been up to date haha. it prompts you when you log in. They are selling an idea that + is even more up to date, by the minute even! but we know thats now how the devs work and the rollout of updates will remain the same. So they are misselling and mispeaking to create ideas and its shady and low. The live stream was horrendous and a car crash. Sad sad times.

ScuzzyEye

27 Jan 2021

hfw wrote:
27 Jan 2021
They said suite is gone in the live stream. Its disbanded. and its a kick in teeth, as when it was released i thought about and decided id take the hit and pay it off to show support as it seemed like a cool new direction. now its gone. its shady.
All it ever was, was a bundle of a Reason license with a bunch of Reason Studios' Rack Extensions. They've stopped selling the bundle. Anyone who owns it still has all the stuff that was in it. I think some people misunderstood it to be every RE that RS makes into the future. That was shown not to be what it was as soon as new REs came out after Suite was released. It was just a cheaper way catch up on your collection at the time.

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

fieldframe wrote:
27 Jan 2021
selig wrote:
27 Jan 2021

I'm a creative, and I've always wanted the fastest way to an idea. Tedious production workflows tend to destroy my creative process. Why would any creative NOT want the fastest way to an idea???
You're both right!

Everyone's creative process is different. Sometimes the same person's creative process is different on different days! Some people work best when they can get ideas out quickly; some people work best with slow experimentation and exploration. Some people benefit a lot from fresh presets; some find the best inspiration from tinkering.
So you're saying that some creatives don't want the fastest way to an idea? I'm not saying all ideas come fast, just that no creative I've ever met or worked with was looking for a SLOWER tool to use. Even if the process takes 10 weeks, we don't want tools that get in our way and slow us down - could be we're talking about different things here?
Selig Audio, LLC

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

selig wrote:
27 Jan 2021
hfw wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I literally upgraded to suite on the day of release, as a long term user, as i thought i was supporting the company and theyd see us good. HAHA! then they disband suite and launch this. Tell us in the livestream how to use sample packs / preset packs like we are morons. Sad times.
Where did you get the idea they disbanded Suite? That's not at all what is going on here…
Actually suite is discontinued, I believe one time bundle was even a term used during the live stream.

Yonatan

27 Jan 2021

Last edited by Yonatan on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

certifiedbeatz

27 Jan 2021

Yes they said suite will be no longer.. what do we get that paid for suite upgrade.. nothing big disappointment and to never own anything makes no sense what they didn't discuss if you 99.99% offline how often do you be be online.. big kick in the face. And if you check i have bought your product since 9.0 had 7 and 8 from a friend.. now this is that last for me unless something it given the suite owners.

craste

27 Jan 2021

Its all gone a bit Guitar Lessons hasn't it? Ha ha

If you don't want to subscribe (Guitar Lessons) you don't have too, just carry on as you did before.

joeyluck

27 Jan 2021

certifiedbeatz wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Yes they said suite will be no longer.. what do we get that paid for suite upgrade.. nothing big disappointment and to never own anything makes no sense what they didn't discuss if you 99.99% offline how often do you be be online.. big kick in the face. And if you check i have bought your product since 9.0 had 7 and 8 from a friend.. now this is that last for me unless something it given the suite owners.
I'm confused. You still own Suite and everything that comes with it. That doesn't change.

Or are you saying you would've rather subscribed to Reason+ than have purchased and owned Reason Suite?

Creativemind

27 Jan 2021

Listened to the stream now for 40 mins-ish (bit behind) and Mattias has just answered the question of what's happening to the core daw, he said, "nothing's changed" and talked for about a minute on it if that. Didn't really elaborate much. Said he'll continue adding what people have asked for, like feedback but they're hardly adding anything? I came away thinking, nothing's really gonna change. Made me feel really disheartened.

I've said it a week or so ago, I think Reason 12 is gonna be really telling. If Reason 12 doesn't really subsequently address major feature flaws then I think I'll finally concede and just continue using the RRP in Reaper and probably not give Reason the actual daw much thought after that.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

ScuzzyEye

27 Jan 2021

certifiedbeatz wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Yes they said suite will be no longer.. what do we get that paid for suite upgrade..
You get Reason 11, and all Reason Studios Rack Extensions up to and including Processed Pianos.

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

hfw wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Those saying its no issue as it is only an option. Listen to the wording. It may be true, but what are their long term intentions? With plus you will always have up to date reason, no worrying yadda yadda. I find this so insulting to my intelligence. Ive been using since v1 and literally have always been up to date haha. it prompts you when you log in. They are selling an idea that + is even more up to date, by the minute even! but we know thats now how the devs work and the rollout of updates will remain the same. So they are misselling and mispeaking to create ideas and its shady and low. The live stream was horrendous and a car crash. Sad sad times.
When you first started (Reason v1) there were no optional parts of Reason as there are now (REs from the Props). Reason+ includes every new RE, which for most folks is overkill I would think. I prefer to go the ala cart route. But again, this is not how Reason v1 worked at all, so I'm not sure what the concern is?
Yes, Reason+ IS literally more up to date by giving you every new RE as it is released. But for many folks, myself included, I don't always want EVERY new RE they release. And in that light, my current version of Reason is NOT up to date even though it's the latest version.
I think maybe you are missing that Reason+ really is Reason PLUS REs PLUS weekly sound content. Those who don't need the last two bits such as myself can just stick with the original.
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

27 Jan 2021

hfw wrote:
27 Jan 2021
They said suite is gone in the live stream. Its disbanded. and its a kick in teeth, as when it was released i thought about and decided id take the hit and pay it off to show support as it seemed like a cool new direction. now its gone. its shady.
To clarify - Suite is discontinued as a product, but if you bought Suite - you still own a perpetual license and all RE's that came with it, and you will be able to upgrade to "regular" Reason 12 - and take those RE's with you to 12 - once it drops.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Aosta

27 Jan 2021

Long term plan will be the Adobe model IMO.
Support for standalone versions will be phased out so eventually all users will be herded to the subscription model and those stubborn ones will have the option to purchase a 'Reason Classic' version for offline use.
Tend the flame

DougalDarkly

27 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I'm confused. You still own Suite and everything that comes with it. That doesn't change.

Or are you saying you would've rather subscribed to Reason+ than have purchased and owned Reason Suite?
I too am confused - why are you trying (and failing) to defend RS' absolutely terrible decision?

I really hope you and the other mods are getting paid for this, otherwise it just doesn't make any sense at all. :clap:

ShelLuser

27 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jan 2021
selig wrote:
27 Jan 2021

The first guys were egging on the others - "everyone dislike", creating mob mentality with others piling on assuming there was a real reason to do so. The idea that there is now a subscription option in addition to the perpetual license and that is a BAD thing is just crazy talk IMO.
Like others have said, if they ditch the perpetual license option I'll be marching in the streets right along with everyone else. But that's not at all what is actually happening…
I think this is a gross oversimplification, honestly. sure, they’re not getting rid of perpetual licensing, but the way in which they roll this stuff out IS VERY important. their communication, and some of the logistic choices they’ve made around the website have been about as close to objectively terrible as you can get.

I don’t think it’s at all unreasonable to see how they’ve handled this rollout and wonder what the f%#$ they’re doing.
I have to agree with that because the way they addressed the whole thing... it almost sounds like a bunch a politicians talking to me. I can't help get the impression that the crew is overly careful about the things they say and don't say, maybe enforced?

Because... I jumped in one more time and at last they specifically addressed the issue of long term users and those who already own their perpetual licences. I got interested yet Mattias didn't say much more than "we want to make everyone happy", which - with all due respect - isn't telling me anything.

And to be perfectly honest... I fear for their future. I did believe their claim that they already got "lots of new subscriptions". But I think it's horribly naive to push that forward as some kind of proof that this new model is going to work. Because... I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of those new subscribers cancelled either right away or maybe the next month and that was that.

Either way... enough negativity from me.

I'm going to ignore the rest of the video, fire up my studio instead and I'm going to have some fun with Reason (and my other stuff). Without having to pay E 0,64 per day to use it :lol: (sorry, sorry).

PS

I see you Suite users and I can top you guys ;) I bought most of my remaining Prop RE's shortly before Suite came out and then Suite hit :twisted: And I have to disagree with those complaints because you still got what you paid for, as did I. I got to enjoy all my stuff 2 months before you guys and we all get to enjoy our stuff from here on as usual. Nothing will change there.

It's not as if your RE's suddenly stopped working or if you can't upgrade to a new version while risking access to those RE's.

Yes, I get it: they dropped Suite support. So what? IMO we should be happy that we got hold of all those awesome (!) RE's made by the Props before this shitstorm hit us. Because that never changed: that stuff is awesome. Polar, Complex, Parsec, Scenic, Drum kits, Polystep, Drum Sequencer... gimme a break!

IMO nearly all of the Prop RE's are impressive, I even bought Pattern Mutator which I'm now controlling using a "Max for Live" patch while using it to play an orchestral("ish") section using Komplete. I'm still working out details (it's not there yet) but... that thing is amazing!

The only RE which I think is "so so" is Friktion. It's a cool RE, I don't regret the purchase, but... yah, I've been working with Ableton's "Tension" a bit too much and I can't help notice similarities.

But other than that... I am honestly very happy that I got all my stuff before all this landed on us. Even if perpetual would stop right now then I'll still be using the RRP in 2030. I've been there before with Reason 6 ;)

(edit)
Aosta wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Long term plan will be the Adobe model IMO.
Support for standalone versions will be phased out so eventually all users will be herded to the subscription model and those stubborn ones will have the option to purchase a 'Reason Classic' version for offline use.
Adobe never got rid of their perpetual licenses. You can still get their "Elements suite" (or the individual products) which consist of Photoshop & Premier Elements. And honestly? That stuff is actually quite good!
Last edited by ShelLuser on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
--- :reason:

Catblack

27 Jan 2021

I didn't watch the live stream.

Looks like they've dumped all the 3rd party Rack Extensions? The shop is gone? (I'm not seeing any link to it from the main site...) What the f*ck!

F*cking subscription? NO FUCKING WAY.

And for all the advocacy I've done talking up Reason since DECEMBER 2000... now this?

Still processing this, but for me it's a big, big NOPE.

I'm still processing the news, as you can see.

Jesus f*ck me christ, couldn't do a f*cking hi-rez update of the interface without f*cking over the users yet again, could ye?
Last edited by Catblack on 27 Jan 2021, edited 2 times in total.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

Creativemind wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Listened to the stream now for 40 mins-ish (bit behind) and Mattias has just answered the question of what's happening to the core daw, he said, "nothing's changed" and talked for about a minute on it if that. Didn't really elaborate much. Said he'll continue adding what people have asked for, like feedback but they're hardly adding anything? I came away thinking, nothing's really gonna change. Made me feel really disheartened.

I've said it a week or so ago, I think Reason 12 is gonna be really telling. If Reason 12 doesn't really subsequently address major feature flaws then I think I'll finally concede and just continue using the RRP in Reaper and probably not give Reason the actual daw much thought after that.
I think today we all mutated to lawyers and the RS guys must ggf careful with every word or we sue them 🤣

The good thing, if i was one of RS staff is, that i can see a lot of ppl going emotional and that shows clearly they love Rrason ❤️, but have fear of the future and what will happen with their baby 🤗
Reason12, Win10

hfw

27 Jan 2021

Haha, sorry ive been so passionate. This is a great community, shame the props split it.... i love everyone here and just coming from my own biases and experiences. Mad times! haha. I hope folks find some time to make some music tonight

certifiedbeatz

27 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021
certifiedbeatz wrote:
27 Jan 2021

It wasn't clear to what is going on i appreciate the stream but it was more of a round table discussion... for us who upgraded to suite what happens if we go with reason+ will I lose suite i know I own the license what if I cancel subscription? What happens if I keep my subscription and never online how do I keep RE's and effects? How often does my DAW have to be online?

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
hfw wrote:
27 Jan 2021
To clarify - Suite is discontinued as a product, but if you bought Suite - you still own a perpetual license and all RE's that came with it, and you will be able to upgrade to "regular" Reason 12 - and take those RE's with you to 12 - once it drops.
OK, so basically "nothing to see here, move along"?!? ;)
I can't see how this affects anything, at least for me.
Selig Audio, LLC

bxbrkrz

27 Jan 2021

For those who are using the service: do you think Roland Cloud Ultimate is a better package deal than Reason+?
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

hfw

27 Jan 2021

I feel much of this is due to the news R2R cracked wibu.... all of us are paying for it. It will be sub / online only within a year or two.

Josdams

27 Jan 2021

Does anyone knows where I can sell my Reason
11 License?

selig
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

hfw wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I feel much of this is due to the news R2R cracked wibu.... all of us are paying for it. It will be sub / online only within a year or two.
Yea, but DID they crack Reason? I don't think I ever saw that confined anywhere…
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

27 Jan 2021

DougalDarkly wrote:
27 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021

I too am confused - why are you trying (and failing) to defend RS' absolutely terrible decision?

I really hope you and the other mods are getting paid for this, otherwise it just doesn't make any sense at all. :clap:
No, we're not getting paid for this - we do this on a volunteer basis on our free time, and Reasontalk is not affiliated with Reason Studios even though occasionally they post here. What Joey is doing is explaining how Suite's deprecation as a product affects users going forward. Not sure how that's confusing.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information