Mimic: RS Livestream 18 August (and new Combinator sneak peek)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Proboscis

18 Aug 2021

QVprod wrote:
18 Aug 2021
What makes you so sure? Combinator backdrops have always been customizable. Seems to line up with what they announced.
The Combinator in Reason 12 is overhauled to be fully customizable, more powerful, and easier than ever to work with. With the wealth of devices available to power it, you can build Combinators that feel like new devices. Create a custom interface with the controls you want laid out how you like, add images, set up expressive macro control
Ok, well that quote is very interesting. If that pedalboard screengrab is built entirely from an end-user interface, that's remarkable. But that would suggest a LOT of graphic assets beyond simply a skin - the knobs, LED indicators and slider pots would need to be unique assets if they are to function as something other than just static window dressing. A little unsure why the screenshot shows 'pedal-board.jpg', which would suggest a mockup.

I will reserve my cynicism until the release

Proboscis

18 Aug 2021

avasopht wrote:
18 Aug 2021
Let's make a wager then if you're so confident their developers are too incompetent to implement something they're more than capable of doing 😅
haha no. For all I know, you're on the beta team, and know exactly what its all about.
avasopht wrote:
18 Aug 2021
set your avatar to "I heart Reason Studios".
That's never going to happen :lol:

joeyluck

18 Aug 2021

Proboscis wrote:
18 Aug 2021
QVprod wrote:
18 Aug 2021
What makes you so sure? Combinator backdrops have always been customizable. Seems to line up with what they announced.

Ok, well that quote is very interesting. If that pedalboard screengrab is built entirely from an end-user interface, that's remarkable. But that would suggest a LOT of graphic assets beyond simply a skin - the knobs, LED indicators and slider pots would need to be unique assets if they are to function as something other than just static window dressing. A little unsure why the screenshot shows 'pedal-board.jpg', which would suggest a mockup.

If you are in the beta you should check it out, if not, you'll just have to wait a couple weeks...unless they offer to share more info. But yeah, the blog entry should tell you enough :)

fieldframe
RE Developer

18 Aug 2021

Proboscis wrote:
18 Aug 2021
[A little unsure why the screenshot shows 'pedal-board.jpg', which would suggest a mockup.
It’s a screenshot displayed inside the Preview app on MacOS.

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

18 Aug 2021

fieldframe wrote:
18 Aug 2021
Proboscis wrote:
18 Aug 2021
[A little unsure why the screenshot shows 'pedal-board.jpg', which would suggest a mockup.
That's a screenshot I sent Mattias to show him the Combinator. Since he was on his personal laptop that wasn't running a Reason 12 beta we couldn't show the actual Combinator I made itself.

bitley

18 Aug 2021

It looked beautiful Ryan, great idea :)

loopeydoug

18 Aug 2021

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 Aug 2021
If you are buying into that new combinator shit then please give me what you are smoking... fucking pissed off..
That's a hot take from you, Poohbear. As a power user and one who's insight and knowledge of Reason I respect tremendously, your comment worries me. What revelations did you intuit from the teaser that lead to it? The new Combinator is the thing I've wanted most in the Reason world for years. If this goes poorly I'll be absolutely gutted.

deeplink
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2021

loopeydoug wrote:
18 Aug 2021
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 Aug 2021
If you are buying into that new combinator shit then please give me what you are smoking... fucking pissed off..
That's a hot take from you, Poohbear. As a power user and one who's insight and knowledge of Reason I respect tremendously, your comment worries me. What revelations did you intuit from the teaser that lead to it? The new Combinator is the thing I've wanted most in the Reason world for years. If this goes poorly I'll be absolutely gutted.
Probably has not enough CV inputs
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Faastwalker

19 Aug 2021

ryanharlin wrote:
18 Aug 2021
fieldframe wrote:
18 Aug 2021

That's a screenshot I sent Mattias to show him the Combinator. Since he was on his personal laptop that wasn't running a Reason 12 beta we couldn't show the actual Combinator I made itself.
I'm stoked for Combinator 2. I've always loved the Combinator. But If what we're looking at is what I think we're looking at then it's going to take Combinator creations to a whole new place. :thumbup:

SebAudio

19 Aug 2021

I think Combi 2.0 will be what we envision with the screenshot. It’ll provide different kind of knobs, buttons, faders, … all of this likely derived in a way from what is provided with RE SDK.
As someone already said, the Remote and automation side are of crucial importance. If we « only » have « knob x » kind of labels exposed to Remote and automation, it’d severely drawn the pleasure down.
That screenshot looks very good ! Can’t wait !

turn2on
RE Developer

19 Aug 2021

Cool news.
As understand, it is like a matrix in Combi 1?), and no visual selection of signal routing, but the library of GUI elements that you can link in the matrix to devices elements.
10 years ago I dream and make pictures of Combi Pedalboard, which include signal routing between modules/pedals.

Anyway, with Combi 2, users can be GUI designers of panels (maybe knobs too?) / and device architectors
But with this - users really can build a big base of combi patches in the future like a Reaktor user space with their ready devices.
Much more interesting all undercover details. Can't wait!

Tiny Montgomery

19 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
18 Aug 2021
Proboscis wrote:
18 Aug 2021

If you are in the beta you should check it out, if not, you'll just have to wait a couple weeks...unless they offer to share more info. But yeah, the blog entry should tell you enough :)
Hi Joey, Im on the the R+ Beta channel, should I be seeing this available in the companion today? Not seeing anything yet.

BTW I enjoyed the livestream and it became a lot clearer to me where & how Mimic could be used. When I first saw it I thought it looked liked an Ableton Simpler wannabe but its actually not that at all, had a pleasant couple of hours messing with it (in Ableton lol). I liked what I heard about the intention to update fairly frequently on this and other new devices. I think RS are on the right track with this philosophy of using devices and players to generate ideas in fun, efficient & sometimes unique ways that rewards experimentation and play.

kbard

19 Aug 2021

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
19 Aug 2021

Hi Joey, Im on the the R+ Beta channel, should I be seeing this available in the companion today? Not seeing anything yet.
Companion is not used for that.

Latest beta with Combinator 2 is literally at the top of beta Download section where it always was like literally you can always find latest betas there at the top and there are even specific areas explaining what is updated etc.

It is actually quite straightforward for anyone logging into the beta channel. I am quite surprised people asking where is it.

You are not the first one asking about it.

Even in beta channel forum, people are asking about it. I don't want to be snarky or disrespectful but I am finding it weird that people apply for beta testing but they can not get past elementary steps which were explained to them in initial email.

And then instead of crushing and betatesting they are asking developers how they can even install beta. Seems like a waste of time and resources. Again this is not pointed to your directly.

Tiny Montgomery

19 Aug 2021

kbard wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Tiny Montgomery wrote:
19 Aug 2021

Latest beta with Combinator 2 is literally at the top of beta Download section where it always was like literally you can always find latest betas there at the top and there are even specific areas explaining what is updated etc.

It is actually quite straightforward for anyone logging into the beta channel. I am quite surprised people asking where is it.

Even in beta channel forum, people are asking about it. I don't want to be snarky or disrespectful but I am finding it weird that people apply for beta testing but they can not get past elementary steps which were explained to them in initial email.

And then instead of crushing and betatesting they are asking developers how they can even install beta. Seems like a waste of time and resources. Again this is not pointed to your directly.
Calm down dude, Im not a beta tester and Ive never visited the ' beta download section'. The R+ companion allowed you to set it to 'Beta' which allowed you to get Mimic Sampler in advance, I was wondering if it was same arrangement for Combi 2, obviously not.

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2021

More fun with the resampling and trying to form it into another loop. And the process repeats? :twisted:

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2021

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
19 Aug 2021
kbard wrote:
19 Aug 2021

Calm down dude, Im not a beta tester and Ive never visited the ' beta download section'. The R+ companion allowed you to set it to 'Beta' which allowed you to get Mimic Sampler in advance, I was wondering if it was same arrangement for Combi 2, obviously not.
You're good man, just asking questions.

They said in the live stream that Combi 2 might come out in the next 10 days or so.

Tiny Montgomery

19 Aug 2021

aeox wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Tiny Montgomery wrote:
19 Aug 2021

You're good man, just asking questions.

They said in the live stream that Combi 2 might come out in the next 10 days or so.
Thanks, I missed some of the end of the livestream and didn't catch that

Quarmat
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2021

aeox wrote:
18 Aug 2021
After watching the stream, I took one of my old tracks I was working on and fed it into mimic and used some slices to make a little pattern. Then I made a loop out of that with some other instruments added (bass, chords, etc) and did the same thing again. Churns out some pretty cool ideas very quickly!

First is the track unsampled, then the next two are the resampled variations with slicing
This is a very nice workflow. i am thirlled, I will surely try this out

kbard

19 Aug 2021

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Mimic isn't Reason 12 beta.

I don't need to calm down since I wasn't upset in the first place. From whom and how you get to this conclusion is not my problem.

Read again, I said a few times that my opinion isn't aimed at you directly. I was stating the obvious.

If you can't see how it is counterproductive for a Reason dev. team to waste time explaining how to install beta software while at the same time everything is explained very clearly then it is of no surprise to me that some bugs slip away with such a terrible time and resource wasting.

It is your problem if you found this opinion as an attack or if my opinion upset you. I am an internet nobody so anyway.

Cheers
Last edited by kbard on 19 Aug 2021, edited 2 times in total.

kbard

19 Aug 2021

aeox wrote:
19 Aug 2021
+1 there's that thanks for clearing it up.

As I said this wasn't aimed to the specific user on a personal level.

Regards

Tiny Montgomery

19 Aug 2021

kbard wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Tiny Montgomery wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Mimic isn't Reason 12 beta.

I don't need to calm down since I wasn't upset in the first place. From whom and how you get to this conclusion is not my problem.

Read again, I said a few times that my opinion isn't aimed at you directly. I was stating the obvious.

If you can't see how it is counterproductive for a Reason dev. team to waste time explaining how to install beta software while at the same time everything is explained very clearly then it is of no surprise to me that some bugs slip away with such a terrible beta process.

It is your problem if you found this opinion as an attack or if my opinion upset you. I am an internet nobody so anyway.

Cheers
I simply have no opinion on the Dev team or beta testers and was asking if combi 2 would get an advance peak in the companion as mimic has, which I have been using in Ableton and Reason 12 in the current version available to plus users

You had a big moan about something I wasn't even talking about, I'm not a beta tester, have no interest in your gripes with RS or other users, and your second response is even weirder tbh.

Honestly this board is a real treat

Cheers

kbard

19 Aug 2021

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
19 Aug 2021
You had a big moan about something I wasn't even talking about, I'm not a beta tester, have no interest in your gripes with RS or other users, and your second response is even weirder tbh.

Cheers
You keep calling me names, claiming I have gripes with people (where, what?) and to calm down for stating my opinion and even telling you it isn't aimed at you but you are finding this board a treat.

How convenient isn't it? Or is it contradictory? Wait what?

If I say you are better then me and I apologize can we just move on please?

Tiny Montgomery

19 Aug 2021

kbard wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Tiny Montgomery wrote:
19 Aug 2021

Cheers
You keep calling me names, claiming I have gripes with people (where, what?) and to calm down but you are finding this board a treat.

How convenient isn't it? Or is it contradictory? Wait what?

If I say you are better then me and I apologize can we just move on please?
Getting weirder mate.

Lol can't even pop in and give RS a compliment and ask an inoffensive question on this board.

Mataya

19 Aug 2021

Love Mimic and nice job on Combinator 2. Wish to see more devices updated. You can always throw new stuff in to existing to make it even more fun. I would like that more then just seing new devices. Keep up!

tx
M

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2021

Last edited by avasopht on 19 Aug 2021, edited 1 time in total.

• Information