Is there a way to decrease all volume (not with master volume)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Panorama

07 Jan 2023

I have all my instruments some on maximum. I need to bring down the volume to add a new track that will overshadow the others. I can try manually, but I get it wrong.

Instead of going through each item and decreasing the volume of each instrument, I would like to do it as if I am decreasing the master volume.

jam-s

08 Jan 2023

You could select all channels and then move the faders down a little simultaneously.

Panorama

08 Jan 2023

Okay, I found it, the channels screen. Edit menu has select all channels.
It works, Thank you.

rexbrewer

08 Jan 2023

jam-s wrote:
08 Jan 2023
You could select all channels and then move the faders down a little simultaneously.
I literally made this request when Record first dropped. When it was finally implemented it was like heaven!

stillifegaijin

09 Jan 2023

You could also select all of your channels and route them to a new output bus which you could turn down.

deeplink
Competition Winner

09 Jan 2023

Panorama wrote:
08 Jan 2023
Okay, I found it, the channels screen. Edit menu has select all channels.
It works, Thank you.
The Ctrl-A keyboard shortcut works in all areas of Reason, including the Main Mixer.

You can also Ctrl+Click to select individual channels

You can also Shift+Click to select a portion of the channels
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

selig
RE Developer

09 Jan 2023

You can also just turn down the master fader, which is my preferred method if any compressors are used on Bus Channels or the Master Compressor. This is also important if you use Bus Channels since selecting ALL channel faders will reduce the Bus Channels AND the individual channels feeding the bus (doubling the change for those channels, but not for the others).
Selig Audio, LLC

stillifegaijin

09 Jan 2023

I have an allergic reaction to touching the master fader.

Marc64

09 Jan 2023

Connect the master out to control rom out on the back and use the control room master out knob to lower the volume without changing the actual level of the track :)

robussc

09 Jan 2023

It sounds like you're still in the creative stage of the song and not ready to do a mix, so you can really touch anything that will quickly bring down the level to stop it clipping (including the master fader). But you really need to get the gain staging right for those hot instruments before you start mixing otherwise you're just going to get into trouble again when you reset the mixer. Your tracks should be hitting between -10dB and -20db when the respective track fader is set to 0dB.(-10dB seems a little high and -20dB is a little low, but those are the two checkmarks to compare :)) But you really want all the instruments to be at the same level before you starting mixing in earnest.

Bring down the instrument volumes and then use the mixer input trim for fine adjustment as you ready the track for mixing.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

selig
RE Developer

09 Jan 2023

stillifegaijin wrote:
09 Jan 2023
There's a salve for that… ;)
I've never understood how the myth of not touching the master fader got started, as there's no technical reason not to do so. Some feel better turning it down in the compressor make up gain or control room outputs, but it makes absolutely no difference where you turn it down as long as it is done after any dynamics based effects.
Selig Audio, LLC

Panorama

10 Jan 2023

selig wrote:
09 Jan 2023
You can also just turn down the master fader, which is my preferred method if any compressors are used on Bus Channels or the Master Compressor. This is also important if you use Bus Channels since selecting ALL channel faders will reduce the Bus Channels AND the individual channels feeding the bus (doubling the change for those channels, but not for the others).
This is a little above my head. I don't know how to use bus channels.
Currently, the reason I don't want to use the master is that it does not help me. I need to add an instrument that will overpower other instruments. That is how my creativity works. Suddenly a new melody that should be dominant comes to me but a new instrument gets drowned out unless the volume for all the current instruments is brought down.

robussc

10 Jan 2023

selig wrote:
09 Jan 2023
stillifegaijin wrote:
09 Jan 2023
I've never understood how the myth of not touching the master fader got started, as there's no technical reason not to do so. Some feel better turning it down in the compressor make up gain or control room outputs, but it makes absolutely no difference where you turn it down as long as it is done after any dynamics based effects.
I think it’s for gain staging sanity. If you know the master fader is at 0 dB then you have a known reference point for checking the gain leading up to that. If the master channel is clipping or close to it, then you know you don’t have the margin you should prior to mixing. If you’ve adjusted the master then you’re kind of working blind (which is fine when you’re not yet mixing, but not helpful when you are).
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

robussc

10 Jan 2023

Panorama wrote:
10 Jan 2023
Currently, the reason I don't want to use the master is that it does not help me. I need to add an instrument that will overpower other instruments. That is how my creativity works. Suddenly a new melody that should be dominant comes to me but a new instrument gets drowned out unless the volume for all the current instruments is brought down.
Then you need to adjust the levels of your instruments so you have a reasonable rough mix. Just take a moment and tweak the volumes of the instruments so they’re all hitting the faders at around -15dB. Then do the same for this new instrument. If they’re recorded, use the trim knob in the Input section of the meter.

Some reading on gain staging: https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/gain-s ... do-it.html

And some discussion here: viewtopic.php?t=7500456 (I’ve not read the thread :))

selig
RE Developer

10 Jan 2023

Panorama wrote:
10 Jan 2023
selig wrote:
09 Jan 2023
Then why not just turn down all the individual faders - select them all, grab one and they all follow. Then you have headroom to add more instruments, simple. There’s really no more to it than that.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

10 Jan 2023

robussc wrote:
10 Jan 2023
…Just take a moment and tweak the volumes of the instruments so they’re all hitting the faders at around -15dB. Then do the same for this new instrument. If they’re recorded, use the trim knob in the Input section of the meter.…
The meters on the faders show average level not peak level. Since peak level can be 10-20 dB or MORE above average level, setting the average level to -15 dB on the channel risks a SINGLE channel clipping the output. If your mix has many more than one channel, then you are all but ensured of clipping the output using that reference level.
When talking about leaving headroom as we are in this thread, it’s PEAK levels that are important since it’s the peaks that clip first.
IMO this is an oversight of Reason, not allowing peak levels to be displayed on the channel meters as they can be on the Master Meter and the Big Meter. But that’s for another thread. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Panorama

10 Jan 2023

selig wrote:
10 Jan 2023
Panorama wrote:
10 Jan 2023

Then why not just turn down all the individual faders - select them all, grab one and they all follow. Then you have headroom to add more instruments, simple. There’s really no more to it than that.
Agreed, that is what I have learned to do now. Works fine.

selig
RE Developer

10 Jan 2023

robussc wrote:
10 Jan 2023
selig wrote:
09 Jan 2023

I think it’s for gain staging sanity. If you know the master fader is at 0 dB then you have a known reference point for checking the gain leading up to that. If the master channel is clipping or close to it, then you know you don’t have the margin you should prior to mixing. If you’ve adjusted the master then you’re kind of working blind (which is fine when you’re not yet mixing, but not helpful when you are).
This doesn’t make any sense. For one, the master channel cannot clip - only the actual output can clip. Plus, you can insert any number of devices AFTER the master channel so it because but one more gain stage in the signal path exactly like any inserted effects or the master compressor.
You are absolutely NOT working ‘blind’ if you adjust the master fader - not sure how you’re coming to that conclusion? The Big Meter shows what is feeding the outputs, and this is the ONLY place to know for sure what you’re sending out of Reason and whether or not you are clipping (and how much headroom you have). Thus, you are never ‘blind’ to checking final gain in Reason.
In short, adjusting the master fader is the same as adjusting output gain in the master compressor, or adjusting gain in a plugin on the master insert.
The only thing you ‘know’ when the master fader is at 0 dB is that it has no effect on levels, nothing more, nothing less. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

robussc

10 Jan 2023

selig wrote:
10 Jan 2023
The meters on the faders show average level not peak level. Since peak level can be 10-20 dB or MORE above average level, setting the average level to -15 dB on the channel risks a SINGLE channel clipping the output. If your mix has many more than one channel, then you are all but ensured of clipping the output using that reference level.
When talking about leaving headroom as we are in this thread, it’s PEAK levels that are important since it’s the peaks that clip first.
IMO this is an oversight of Reason, not allowing peak levels to be displayed on the channel meters as they can be on the Master Meter and the Big Meter. But that’s for another thread. :)
You were quoting me not panorama, but yeah the Reason meters are not ideal (annoying that we can't switch their mode). And sure I've been hit with signals that look fine but are actually way hotter, but that's life with this DAW. I bring in the channel compressor to tame the spikes.

I guess I don't understand why addressing his signal input is a bad idea? Now he's messing with the channel faders which means he's just kicking the can down the road IMHO because he'll have to handle the gain staging at some point.

robussc

10 Jan 2023

selig wrote:
10 Jan 2023
And yet the master channel has a clip indicator. Sure, technically it can't clip. But what its telling you is useful information.
Not if you patch ANYTHING between the Master Output and the Hardware Interface. Confused me the first time I experienced it myself. Then realized that Reason is smart in that IF there is ANYTHING patched after the master fade, the clip light is disabled, as it should be.
So yea, it HAS one (a clip light), but it’s not active in the cases I’ve outlined above for what are obvious reasons. Which proves, no you cannot clip the master fader, only the final output.

robussc

10 Jan 2023

@selig, speaking of the channel faders, is there a trick to getting them all to 0db in one go? Select All and shift dragging gets them close but I can't seem to get closer than +/-0.4dB. (Though once I was lucky and hit 0dB). Really annoying.

jam-s

10 Jan 2023

I have not tried it, but selecting all channels and then CTRL+click on one fader might work.

crimsonwarlock

10 Jan 2023

jam-s wrote:
10 Jan 2023
I have not tried it, but selecting all channels and then CTRL+click on one fader might work.
I was just thinking that, so I tried... nope :puf_smile:
-------
Reached the breaking-point. CrimsonWarlock has left the forum.

challism

10 Jan 2023

stillifegaijin wrote:
09 Jan 2023
Have an unsuspecting friend do it for you.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

jam-s

10 Jan 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
10 Jan 2023
jam-s wrote:
10 Jan 2023
I was just thinking that, so I tried... nope :puf_smile:
I'd call this a bug then as per the key commands pdf CTRL + click should reset to default value... :|

• Information