Offline authorization will be discontinued for R11 and earlier - This is serious

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ichooselife

19 Aug 2023

VT698 wrote:
18 Aug 2023
Only just seen this, and I'm not entirely clear what the implications are for me. I'm sorry for my lack of understanding, but could someone advise, please?

I don't connect my PC to the internet, except for updates and downloads, and I normally run Reason (and everything else) offline. I have found numerous times in the past that constant connection to the net eventually has repercussions with the PC getting choked up and slow - and then clearing stuff tends to often cause issues in itself. I am happy to occasionally connect to the internet - as long as I don't have to be continuously connected while I am using Reason. So - am I affected by the changes mentioned in the original post?

Many thanks for any advice!
basically write your licence to the computer now or
once before september 25 i believe and it’s good written on there unless something goes wrong with your windows and you have to re install , if you re install after september the 25th ( think i have the date right correct me)if you install after then , you will have to connect to the internet every time you load reason for verification of your on any version under 12 , only reason 12 will work

this i feel is too force the masses who have stayed on reason 11 a lot of them
using it as a plugin inside other daws , to upgrade
we are literally being forced to upgrade for fear of messing up that one last codemeter authorisation to our pcs , i mean couldnt you just make the offline thing for all versions reason studios couldn’t ya ? of course they could but there not making enough green for themselves so they are forcing us . but yeah don’t mess up your windows installation man and 11 will be good for a bit offline 😀

EnochLight

20 Aug 2023

jklok wrote:
18 Aug 2023
The Fairlight is alive and well
What we are referring to is the botched mismanagement of the company after its beginnings, and eventual fading from being an influential player in the modern music industry. But I'm sure you already knew that. ;)

BTW, I doubt anyone would deny Peter Vogel and Kim Ryrie's effect on the music industry and the literal cultural achievements of the Fairlight CMI. Blackmagic's version of Fairlight is a faint echo of what they once were, and I seriously don't see their products having the sort of effect on the music industry that the Fairlight CMI did. That ship has sailed. But that's besides the point - Reason Studios should certainly NOT take any cues from Fairlight on how to run their business! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jklok

20 Aug 2023

The ship left the hardware samplers a long time ago. And the fact that they ran out of money back then has nothing to do with the current state of Fairlight sound processing technology. Same goes for Emulator and countless others from that era.

I look at the technology and not the business affairs of the early music tech companies. As they are now owned by Black Magic which is currently the fastest growing platform in the media industry.

We want to make sound and music possible without technology getting in the way.

As a user of MFX in the 90s I made many customers happy to use it for tracking of all kinds before hard disk recording became the norm. It was faster to use than a mouse and qwerty keyboard, and it still is.

Now I see an evolved system and something to draw inspiration from when looking to improve your own timeline to a more user-friendly and less clunky design.

Something that would help popularize the Reason workstation as a serious alternative to its competition instead of becoming just another plugin vendor.

But I'm guessing you're in a completely different world and have no real experience of using the latest versions of Fairlight technology, putting it together with Peter Gabriel, and sampling TVs smashed up in a landfill.

I would consider this a mistake and something to watch out for as Black Magic is slowly taking over business from Avid, Apple and Adobe.

Instead of just following the trend and copying features from Ableton and Pro Tools, rethink the whole process and find new ways to make music producers do their jobs faster than ever before.

Without going into the details of which I know very little, I see something that could help Reason Studios. Produce an affordable, easy-to-use hardware unit that includes the software license. This would make the current licensing issue removed, as we see it being successfully integrated into Black Magic with the DaVinci Resolve platform.

Ichooselife

20 Aug 2023

i wonder if you clone the hard drive and back it up somewhere would that be a way to save your codemeter licence ?

selig
RE Developer

21 Aug 2023

jklok wrote:
20 Aug 2023
Without going into the details of which I know very little, I see something that could help Reason Studios. Produce an affordable, easy-to-use hardware unit that includes the software license.
I totally agree about Fairlight as a company, they evolved successfully. I’m also a Resolve fan, so it’s fun to still be working with “Fairlight” on some level 40 years later.

That said, Reason already beat you to your idea of producing an affordable easy-to-use hardware unit that includes the software license. We can argue they didn’t do the hardware part “right”, but I regret to say I don’t thing they are going to go back down that rabbit hole again (at least any time soon).
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

21 Aug 2023

jklok wrote:
20 Aug 2023
Without going into the details of which I know very little, I see something that could help Reason Studios. Produce an affordable, easy-to-use hardware unit that includes the software license.
Yes, you certainly aren't familiar with this. Reason Studios did try this years ago (as Propellerhead), and it failed. They certainly shouldn't go down that road again, as much as I'd like them to. As for Fairlight, we can agree to disagree. ;) Desktop plugins and home-based bedroom computer music production has long ruled the roost, and Fairlight certainly missed that boat. What they are doing in "media" production under new ownership is great, but I still fail to see how taking a page from Fairlight's business practices would be beneficial to Reason Studios.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

21 Aug 2023

Resolve Fairlight is really great for audio editing, but it lacks any MIDI recording and editing. You can send MIDI to plugins and record the audio, but that is it. So if you think Reason's sequencer is lacking in features for music making, it kills Fairlight which pretty much has nothing geared towards music making.

MadGadget

21 Aug 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
20 Aug 2023
i wonder if you clone the hard drive and back it up somewhere would that be a way to save your codemeter licence ?
Yes, it totally will.......but only for that machine, ie. the code meter builds the licence using not just the hard disk unique key, but also some other hardware including the motherboard.

So, if your hard disk were to die, the clone would work and the code meter licence would work without requiring online activation etc.

But if you put that cloned drive in another identical machine (board etc), it will require online authorisation and the offline will not work.

Still, definitely worth doing before the cut off !!

Ichooselife

21 Aug 2023

MadGadget wrote:
21 Aug 2023
Ichooselife wrote:
20 Aug 2023
Yes, it totally will.......but only for that machine, ie. the code meter builds the licence using not just the hard disk unique key, but also some other hardware including the motherboard.

So, if your hard disk were to die, the clone would work and the code meter licence would work without requiring online activation etc.

But if you put that cloned drive in another identical machine (board etc), it will require online authorisation and the offline will not work.

i might just do that madgaget my old mate
ta very much , what’s a good free program , there was supposed to be a software with my crucial m2 ssd drive

MadGadget

21 Aug 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
21 Aug 2023
MadGadget wrote:
21 Aug 2023

ta very much , what’s a good free program , there was supposed to be a software with my crucial m2 ssd drive
One of the best free ones (but not for much longer) is Macrium Reflect. Version 7 was totally free, but they are switching to a paid for version, so v8 is a 30 day trial, but should do the job :thumbup:

Failing that, there is AOMEI partition assistant, they still do a free version which has disk cloning (I think). Acronis TrueImage used to be free, but now paid for. I think Driveimage XML is free for personal use, that's an option if the above is no good.

Ichooselife

21 Aug 2023

MadGadget wrote:
21 Aug 2023
Ichooselife wrote:
21 Aug 2023

One of the best free ones (but not for much longer) is Macrium Reflect. Version 7 was totally free, but they are switching to a paid for version, so v8 is a 30 day trial, but should do the job :thumbup:

Failing that, there is AOMEI partition assistant, they still do a free version which has disk cloning (I think). Acronis TrueImage used to be free, but now paid for. I think Driveimage XML is free for personal use, that's an option if the above is no good.
acronis is the one i’m supposed to get with my drive i didn’t register it before i put it in so i’ll have to dive in my computer doh!

jklok

21 Aug 2023

EnochLight and joeyluck,

I totally get it, I guess you could say all of Reason's music creation features would be awesome in an editing system like the Fairlight Resolve MFX.

I would take the transport and tracking features of the MFX and put them into a hardware unit that was so much more than what was done with the Propellerheads Balance unit.

It should have unique features. Like for example an integrated analog SSL mastercomp. Just like the ROLAND JD-Xi has an analog oscillator.

I would say go for the looks, price and quality of the ROLAND JD-Xi with some of the features of the defunct Korg Microcontrol and Akai MPC. and that awesome controlsystem of the MFX.

It would be a daunting task and I am just brainstorming here. Dreaming of an ideal workstation to enhance the Reason sequencer and integrate MPC and MFX functionality into a useful hardware unit under $1000!?! Or like they do at Black Magic by turning it into 2-3 really good quality units, like the speed editor and the micro panel.

Anyway just dreaming and trying to inspire the great folks at Reason studios to get back in black soon again. Cheerzz

EnochLight

22 Aug 2023

jklok wrote:
21 Aug 2023
Anyway just dreaming and trying to inspire the great folks at Reason studios to get back in black soon again. Cheerzz
I mean, you'll get no complaints from me if RS actually released a Balance 2 - shortcomings** aside, it was one of my favorite audio interfaces at the time. Or a hardware workstation that ran Reason (such as an Akai MPC Key 61 version of Reason) - I'd be all over that, especially if it supported Rack Extensions. And VST/AU. :lol: Just don't ever see that happening.

That said, I'm not sure why people think RS are in the red. Allegedly Reason+ is working just fine for them.

**Balance shortcomings:

- That baffling decision to make the shell covered in that soft rubberized crap - it turned to sticky goo within a matter of a few years
- Latency was never remarkable
- Very few driver updates (they needed to take a cue from RME)
- 2in/2out was crippling
- no VU metering on the actual unit

selig
RE Developer

22 Aug 2023

EnochLight wrote:
21 Aug 2023
… As for Fairlight, we can agree to disagree. ;) Desktop plugins and home-based bedroom computer music production has long ruled the roost, and Fairlight certainly missed that boat. What they are doing in "media" production under new ownership is great, but I still fail to see how taking a page from Fairlight's business practices would be beneficial to Reason Studios.
Not clear what this is all about, but the idea being promoted of having a hardware controller like Fairlight does is not a bad business decision. The Fairlight name obviously means something if it’s still being used in a current and successful product. Let’s hope that long after Reason Studios moves on, the “Reason” name lives on.
So far, Fairlight has made it almost 50 years as a brand in the business - Reason Studios is just over half way there to date. And like Fairlight started with one product and successfully shifted with the market, so did Propellerheads start with ReCycle, and then the 303 emulation before landing on their current product “Reason”. I don’t think anyone sees this as a failure on either companies part that their initial offerings are no longer viable/available or supported on the current OS (looking at you, ReCycle!).

So yea, I’d love to see a Fairlight level controller for Reason, why not? But like we both mentioned, Reason “hardware” already happened once and not likely to happen under the new management IMO. But that won’t stop us from dreaming… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

22 Aug 2023

/Fairlight fanboy has entered the chat

:lol: jk

No but seriously, we were just talking about this:

viewtopic.php?p=647308#p647308

viewtopic.php?p=647421#p647421

DaveyG

22 Aug 2023

EnochLight wrote:
22 Aug 2023
Or a hardware workstation that ran Reason (such as an Akai MPC Key 61 version of Reason) -
Haha. You don't want much then! :clap:

EnochLight

22 Aug 2023

DaveyG wrote:
22 Aug 2023
EnochLight wrote:
22 Aug 2023
Or a hardware workstation that ran Reason (such as an Akai MPC Key 61 version of Reason) -
Haha. You don't want much then! :clap:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly, I'm good with what Akai are doing right now. I spend most of my production time on my MPC and Force, and only come into Reason on occasion. Never thought I'd see the day, but it's so liberating to walk away from a computer to be creative. I spend way too much time in front of a PC screen at my day job, I'm spent by the time I get into creative mode.

dusan.cani

30 Aug 2023

bernardh wrote:
05 Jun 2023
This is serious and those saying it isn't or making fun of those who've taken umbrage at it, shame on you.

It is a real disappointment that Reason Studios' have announced their intention to essentially make their old software online-only and their new software online-only in all but name (discounting the option to check your 12.6 license out for 12 months, which isn't really a proper offline authorised mode at all; it's a temporary not-online mode). It's disheartening to witness a company erode the rights and freedom of their paying customers. While I respect the opinions of those who support this decision, I find it troubling that blind loyalty is overriding the importance of customer satisfaction and usability.

First and foremost, let's acknowledge the fact that we, as customers, have paid a significant amount of money for the software. The ability to use it 100% offline, without any dependency on an internet connection, was a key feature that Reason has always had. This change effectively takes away our ability to fully control how we use the software we have purchased.

Some may say 'so what, I'm always on the internet; doesn't matter to me'. Others may argue that this move was necessary to combat piracy or to ensure the latest updates or to remove technical debt, but let's be realistic here. Dedicated pirates will always find a way to circumvent any online protection, and the inconvenience this imposes on legitimate customers far outweighs any benefits gained. Moreover, trying to force updates by removing technology many are dependant on without a like-for-like replacement is simply frustrating.

It is baffling to see some customers blindly supporting this decision, without considering the long-term implications. We should all strive for a balance between supporting a company we love and holding them accountable when they make choices that negatively impact our user experience. Accepting these changes without questioning them sends a dangerous message to the company – that they can disregard customer preferences and still maintain a loyal following. By simply accepting these changes without voicing our concerns, we unintentionally encourage future decisions that may further restrict our freedoms as paying customers.

Reason Studios' decision to make their software accessible only online is a step backward in terms of customer rights and usability. I urge everyone, even those who support this decision, to consider the bigger picture and engage in open dialogue with the company. Our collective voice has the power to influence positive change and ensure that our interests as paying customers are prioritised.

Let's stand together and strive for a software environment that respects our rights and freedom to use the products we've purchased in a way that aligns with our needs.
Eddi-16 wrote:
06 Jun 2023
Yeas, they have to cancel this model as soon as possible, I want my Reason forever and not rented for one year if I "buy" it. What a mess again, ahhh, what are they doing here? Instead of writing about "renew after one year" and kick long time users asses they could announce some "sequencer updates" or "workflow updates". What a terrible marketing move again. I am totally disappointed that I can't own it anymore soon without internet connection after first time activating. If they really do this I am out 100%.
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

I completely agree with you. They basically changed the behaviour of the software for which you've already paid. This is totally unacceptable and totally disrespectful for owners of previous Reason versions. I've paid for software with the specific features and behaviour implemented in the time of my purchase. That included using it offline without any dependence on third party with bothering pop-up login EVERY TIME when Reason starts. There could be a couple of major reasons why someone is able to use the software in offline mode ONLY. If that is not possible anymore, the product becomes unusable for given user and refund should happen without any doubt.

They did this nasty strategy to FORCE old Reason owners to pay for update.

integerpoet

30 Aug 2023

MrFigg wrote:
01 Jun 2023
Jackjackdaw wrote:
01 Jun 2023
I don’t think it’s that big a deal. You want to run your janky old software off line then you can run it on your janky old computer till it dies. Or it will still work if you let it phone home. Or you can just pay your upgrade fee and move with the times. This is like every other software.
JankyJankDAW
Underrated post.

ambi

30 Aug 2023

dusan.cani wrote:
30 Aug 2023
There could be a couple of major reasons why someone is able to use the software in offline mode ONLY.
Not going to argue about the topic. I also don't like their decision.
Just out of curiosity: what major reasons could that be that prevent a user to go online for 1 day a year?

Ichooselife

30 Aug 2023

ambi wrote:
30 Aug 2023
dusan.cani wrote:
30 Aug 2023
There could be a couple of major reasons why someone is able to use the software in offline mode ONLY.
Just out of curiosity: what major reasons could that be that prevent a user to go online for 1 day a year?
a ethernet cable that’s too short
( i’ve ordered one lol

and truth be told it’s distracting the news that pops up

WOO

30 Aug 2023

I have an old usb stick" red with propellerhead" written on it that came with a version of reason, I believe it was record. I also have codemeter installed on my desktop. How do I make sure sure that all my re's are stored on my usb device, so that I can run version 11, on another computer whenever I purchase a new one? I need the step by step procedure. When I open the usb stick this is what it shows as stored on it. The CM- Stick folder contains the file codemtr.io that is 1 kb. in size. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Screenshot (103).png
Screenshot (103).png (18.29 KiB) Viewed 38381 times

jklok

30 Aug 2023

Me too, although only a user since version 2 here, the change is quite serious for people who like the feeling of being able to roam freely.
Dropping Codemeter support for older versions is a bad business decision that will do more harm than benefit. I will no longer purchase any plugins or updates, and will now only rely on my current setup. It works pretty well without crashing.

Personally, I did a multi-system backup on multiple media and updated the cmstick to the latest version to make it work with the M1.
I have a disk image and two software backups on two systems to protect against any hardware issues. But it is nevertheless not a pleasant feeling.

Hopefully this will work with the changes I'm making while keeping an eye out for random business decisions made by the new administration at Reason Studios.

I consider Cubase to be a place to go if you want the freedom to choose your own hardware platform and avoid possibly being driven around the rental only software stage like Pro Tools users have been for some time now.

Ichooselife

30 Aug 2023

jklok wrote:
30 Aug 2023
Me too, although only a user since version 2 here, the change is quite serious for people who like the feeling of being able to roam freely.
Dropping Codemeter support for older versions is a bad business decision that will do more harm than benefit. I will no longer purchase any plugins or updates, and will now only rely on my current setup. It works pretty well without crashing.

Personally, I did a multi-system backup on multiple media and updated the cmstick to the latest version to make it work with the M1.
I have a disk image and two software backups on two systems to protect against any hardware issues. But it is nevertheless not a pleasant feeling.

Hopefully this will work with the changes I'm making while keeping an eye out for random business decisions made by the new administration at Reason Studios.

I consider Cubase to be a place to go if you want the freedom to choose your own hardware platform and avoid possibly being driven around the rental only software stage like Pro Tools users have been for some time now.
you can’t guarentee that any of these companies won’t go that way in future , we’re living in a throwaway nation now i feel the ones of us holding on to our perpetual licences will succumb or end up using free software

bandlab is going back to paid
only leaves tracktion the best free daw
dunno what happened to behringer supposedly free daw?

i think subs are bullshit as they only serve people making money from the industry

not someone who is using it for a hobby

if i had a software company i would intice people in offer things for free and then sell extras some updates etc

reason studios direction is a bit hashed and grabbed
doesn’t seem like a long term solution

adobe are different aren’t they and avid pro tools as there industry staples
used by earning industry types , so maybe a sub works for them ( colleges all use those on multi subs )

just reason studios are the most dirty
they really are using tactics to get more money , which makes me worry about there direction in future

there is no reason why offline use can’t be implanted for older versions

they want you to upgrade they want the money
and i really don’t want to pay £199 or $199
( i know you can get it cheaper )
but they really should have kept the old upgrade price as well

that was the first dirty thing they did

next one was keeping all the new stuff for reason plus
i mean your gonna she’ll out hundreds on the main licence and you don’t get all the same stuff ?

they don’t care if people crack there software now because there not interested in the long term anymore
only what they can make back quick
that’s why they have made it way easier to crack now with the basic security they have in place now

but really you can’t let people who want to stay on 11 stay on 11 ?

because they jumped ship they have no reason to upgrade they have it as a vst in there new daw

but guess what , they will be paranoid now
that if they mess up the computer or the install
that they can’t open reason offline

and a lot more people than you think like there music computers free of distractions and unplug on a session so if you close and open the software you have to keep reconnnecting the internet pain in the ass

reason have sat in a room discussing this

“ yes they will want to upgrade it will give them peace of mind haha “ make it onky for reason 12 this new offline process then we can grab back all those ship jumpers for one last paygrade yeah boo”

everyone at reason studios dances round the room

dusan.cani

31 Aug 2023

ambi wrote:
30 Aug 2023
dusan.cani wrote:
30 Aug 2023
If you want to stay on R11 or below, it will not work offline at all after specified date (if you reinstall Reason or if you update / buy RE).

For example I want to go with my laptop and Reason 11 or below to environment without internet access and make music there, but it will not be possible anymore although I've paid for software that was supposed to work offline in the time of the purchase. I really wonder that this is not violating the customer rights. And if you use those Reason versions online, you will experience that stupid and extra bothering pop-up login window EVERY TIME before Reason starts. At least they could fix this pointless appearing of the popup after all those years, but they don't care. Instead, they removed offline usage and they are forcing you to pay for upgrade if you want the original functionality back.

It's also sad that many users are defending this nasty and disrespectful decision and they don't understand that there are still users who just want to stick to R11 or R10 and don't want to upgrade to R12 because of various reasons.

• Information