Where did the Propellerheads I/ we loved disappear to?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Faastwalker

11 Dec 2019

I still think Reason is the best thing since sliced bread, despite not buying the R11 upgrade. Still struggling with the name change. I like the look of the site, new logo. The old logo was looking very tired. But calling it 'Reason Studios' feels weird. Still keep calling the company Propellerhead. Reason Studios sounds a bit generic.

zoidkirb

11 Dec 2019

SympatheticDissonanc wrote:
11 Dec 2019
zoidkirb wrote:
11 Dec 2019
Mattias seems like a really nice guy but I can understand him being very wary anytime he pops his head up on forums like these, Facebook, reddit etc as he invariably get inundated with a a flood of very reasonable requests (midi, vst, hd etc) .
Poor guy is forced to attempt to defend the indefendible on a constant basis, as if he was the architect of it all.
But he is the architect of it all. He has been since Reason 9.5. He's not been forced to do anything, he's chosen to do it the way he has, so don't feel pity for him that he has to justify his decision-making.
is he though? he's product manager, which i've always associated with "marketing" . he doesn't even get a mention on their website (but management and board members all do) pretty strange if they omitted their chief architect there.
one thing for sure that was his idea is the complex-1 rack extension, which many, myself included think was a shining light in props/rs recent history. besides that i've not heard of any design choice within reason being his.
i'd like to be enlightened more though, as tbh i find it pretty interesting how creative companies go about their job.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Dec 2019

bxbrkrz wrote:
11 Dec 2019

You can be happy now, or sad all the time about a future you have no control over.
Let go.
Enjoy life.
:puf_smile: :thumbs_up:
Think we think more alike than you may think :)
Here and now. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

pushedbutton

11 Dec 2019

I suppose those of use that have been around for a while will always call them Propellerheads, just as old people tape things on their DVR.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

raymondh

11 Dec 2019

I think Mattias' job title is irrelevant. He's a cornerstone employee of the organisation who's contribution and influence is beyond solid and dotted lines on their org chart.
While he continues to be authentically enthusiastic and evangelistic, I reckon the path of Reason is doing pretty well.

Regarding the good ol' days, yeah it's a different experience now but even if Props/RS wound back the clock and behaved the way they used to, they might find themselves in a market where it doesn't work for them or us. It's not just Props/RS that have changed, the whole market has, and so have we.

That said, I'm in the same camp of standing back and seeing what gets delivered to us Reason-only users.....

wendylou

11 Dec 2019

Not to worry! Their probably just on some holiday we are clueless about!
Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 9.57.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 9.57.24 PM.png (118.43 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

Boombastix
Competition Winner

11 Dec 2019

wendylou wrote:
11 Dec 2019

Close, but they are on another holiday, when they incidentally also stick some stuff in their hair :lol:

I saw some PH/RS dude say their support is swamped. Hmm, they release a Rack Plugin to the outside world and suddenly they have more support requests, who could have guessed - the new CEO? Hmmm, suppose he didn't... I think they at this time of year are fighting fires like some Lucia girl got her hair on fire. But soon they'll take the long holiday over x-mas and be back later in Jan, with 2-3 weeks of support emails to get through, yeah, they me be back in "balance" by mid Feb.

Hopefully the CEO doesn't pull in the C++ guys to do support email, and we get a fresh Rack Plugin in Januari with Midi out and VSTs holder. Since the Rack Plugin was released like a half-assed product I hope they fix it, 100%, then they can forget about it and Make Reason Great Again and catch up on the sequencer side, just no more Kalimas, no matter how cool you think they are.
Attachments
lucia.jpeg
lucia.jpeg (9.23 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2019

wendylou wrote:
11 Dec 2019

Haha. Get the CEO in the bear I say.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

motuscott

12 Dec 2019

Relax fellas. Feel the anger flow out of you
Wait! Is my hair on fire!?!?!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

xboix

12 Dec 2019

Remember they are looking to sell the company. Everything they do in the next year or so will be geared towards that. The most important thing for that is to reduce costs so we're not going to see them recruiting loads of extra support staff or devs to improve the response time.

moneykube

12 Dec 2019

can I use my reward points to buy the company? :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

motuscott

12 Dec 2019

You can't stack them
cos, if you could...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2019

motuscott wrote:
12 Dec 2019
You can't stack them
cos, if you could...
If he waits a bit he’ll only need a €25.

Oops. Controversial.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

motuscott

12 Dec 2019

We'd have track folders

moneykube

12 Dec 2019

:lol: :lol: :lol:
MrFigg wrote:
12 Dec 2019
motuscott wrote:
12 Dec 2019
You can't stack them
cos, if you could...
If he waits a bit he’ll only need a €25.

Oops. Controversial.

dvdrtldg

12 Dec 2019

guitfnky wrote:
11 Dec 2019
dvdrtldg wrote:
11 Dec 2019

Agree 100% with this

Any "special relationship" someone might feel with a company is all in their head

You want fulfilling relationships and a feeling of being loved & appreciated? That's what family and friends are for, so work on that

I mean, sure, use Reason or don't use it. But all this personal butthurt is completely mystifying to me
are you really trying to create an equivalency between someone’s relationship to a company (like it or not, we all have a relationship to Reason Studios—we use their products; we talk about them here) with their interpersonal relationships with actual human beings?
Er, no

I'm doing the exact opposite of that

moneykube

12 Dec 2019

ok 50 reward points. Final offer.
Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 2.13.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 2.13.48 AM.png (304.77 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
ok 60... top bid.... sigh... that means I'll have to buy more stuff lol
Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 2.27.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 2.27.12 AM.png (76.97 KiB) Viewed 2283 times

motuscott

12 Dec 2019

I'm so in

eudopia

12 Dec 2019

i bought a licence of R10 3 weeks ago from another user and am still waiting for the transfer. the seller has kept me up to date throughout and has shown me copies of messages he has sent to RS and i've also sent my own but there has been zero response so far to either of us.

i'm busy right now with other things so not that fussed but to me RS is, and will always be, just another software company that has no interest in offering good customer service. if in the future they make a product that is of use to me then i'll consider buying it. if they don't then i'll just use what i have or move on.

unfortunately there is no reward for loyalty any more and in fact, loyal customers are more often than not taken for a ride, so just use these companies the same way they use you.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2019

I think Reason Studios are alright. Not great but alright. Even though they might be behind other DAWs I don't think it's true that they never listen to us customers. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. But I'm also not the person who sits around waiting for any "must have" feauture. I'm pretty content with Reason and all my REs as it is. If RS release something that sparks my interest I'll buy it otherwise I'll just ignore it and move on.
My one experience with their support was ok. I got an answer after 3 days, after that the person got back to me several times on different occasions about info and questions until the issue was fixed.
I like that Reason licenses/Rack Extensions etc are all connected to the same account. It makes things very simple. I hate the idea of having several accounts spread out for every different VST company.
For me the biggest miss from RS is the Reward system. That's just a total joke. Can't really defend that one.

orthodox
RE Developer

12 Dec 2019

diminished wrote:
11 Dec 2019
Anybody got an idea what this is about?

Code: Select all

https://twitter.com/reasonstudios/status/1202212294815604736
<<Permalink>>

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

12 Dec 2019

diminished wrote:
11 Dec 2019
zoidkirb wrote:
11 Dec 2019
Mattias seems like a really nice guy but I can understand him being very wary anytime he pops his head up on forums like these, Facebook, reddit etc as he invariably get inundated with a a flood of very reasonable requests (midi, vst, hd etc) .
Poor guy is forced to attempt to defend the indefendible on a constant basis, as if he was the architect of it all.
Wise words right there.
Yet while it's worse these days for him, it's always been like that I think.

However, he's even been inactive on reddit for almost a month or so. Weird. I think there is a lot of shit going on behind the scenes we don't know about. I'm almost 100% certain that their support is terribly understaffed. My money is also on a bunch of internal conflicts within the company (pre- and post-Niklas mindsets).
Now I had to post on reddit so you wouldn't be worried! I check reddit every day, I just don't post that much. Like most redditors. :cool:

Regarding the requests, I think there's a lot of value to me seeing them.That's awesome! I just don't like being defensive. And many requests are then followed by questions phrased in a way that also assumes a lot of things that might not be true. There's also a lot of things I can't talk about, like most companies.
zoidkirb wrote:
11 Dec 2019
SympatheticDissonanc wrote:
11 Dec 2019
But he is the architect of it all. He has been since Reason 9.5. He's not been forced to do anything, he's chosen to do it the way he has, so don't feel pity for him that he has to justify his decision-making.
is he though? he's product manager, which i've always associated with "marketing" . he doesn't even get a mention on their website (but management and board members all do) pretty strange if they omitted their chief architect there.
one thing for sure that was his idea is the complex-1 rack extension, which many, myself included think was a shining light in props/rs recent history. besides that i've not heard of any design choice within reason being his.
i'd like to be enlightened more though, as tbh i find it pretty interesting how creative companies go about their job.
I'm not "the architect", that's not how most companies work. We're all working together, with different areas of expertise—mine being managing the core Reason product. I've been the product manager since 9.5, but that doesn't mean I make all the calls about company direction, resources, how it's sold, marketing etc. etc. Case in point, a product manager generally don't make detailed design choices, designers do that, but we are responsible for the overall product. For Complex-1, it just so happens I'm a big fan of and quite adept at modular synths, so I had a lot of input on what went into it. :ugeek:

reddust

12 Dec 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
12 Dec 2019
Regarding the requests, I think there's a lot of value to me seeing them.That's awesome! I just don't like being defensive. And many requests are then followed by questions phrased in a way that also assumes a lot of things that might not be true. There's also a lot of things I can't talk about, like most companies.
I guess one of those things is why the reward system remains unchanged even when most users find it completely useless :puf_wink:

Anyways, it's nice to see you read our comments here and even take the time to answer some times

EnochLight

12 Dec 2019

orthodox wrote:
12 Dec 2019
diminished wrote:
11 Dec 2019
Anybody got an idea what this is about?

Code: Select all

https://twitter.com/reasonstudios/status/1202212294815604736
<<Permalink>>
Well holy crap - what the hell are they working on??!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ravasb

12 Dec 2019

The Eurorack changed what people think about as modular today. Reason was created to recreate the experience of hardware in a way that no one under 40 cares about anymore. I have been using it since version 2 and have updated each time because I still like it, though it has never been my main DAW.

I just don't know who their new audience will be. It is really not as powerful as a DAW as other DAWs, and it is not as fun as a modular as other setups. Again, I like it personally, I just have trouble visualizing a young person finding it exciting. It is not really cheap, either, though I do think it is fairly priced.

Reason just feels very nostalgic to me now, which is fine because I am an old guy with memories of dying for the hardware it recreates. But what if no one shares that nostalgia?

• Information